Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1141 posts
398 upvotes
Nova Scotia

Borderlands 3

Anyone picking this up? I just played 1 and 2 back to back throughout the summer. Didn't touch all the DLC yet because I wanted to get the story done before September. Brought back some fond memories on the 360. Really looking forward to BL3.
46 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4247 posts
4440 upvotes
GTA
Yes but not a preorder unless there is a fantastic deal. Also it has to be couch co-op on PS4, or else Randy Pitchford can suck on a USB drive at Medieval Times for all I care.
In all seriousness, I've played all the Borderlands and you do get burn out from them. I hope this one keeps me more interested than Pre-sequel, which I got bored of halfway through. Nothing against the game, it just didn't have enough of I don't know what to make me care. But I had fun with the free BL2 DLC.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2310 posts
1454 upvotes
I just went through BL2 and all the DLC (currently finishing the recently released one that bridges 2 and 3).

Not sure if I’m going to pre order this but I’ll definitely be picking it up sometime this year.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2361 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
Was a good deal if you managed to snag a pre-order during the epic summer sale when epic was giving out $10 discounts on it. afaik they will honour those preorders. Otherwise, gonna wait for a sale.
Bored...
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4247 posts
4440 upvotes
GTA
BYan wrote: Was a good deal if you managed to snag a pre-order during the epic summer sale when epic was giving out $10 discounts on it. afaik they will honour those preorders. Otherwise, gonna wait for a sale.
Yeah by the time I found out they shut that down, along with some other AAA titles. I decided to get it on PS4 soon after in any case. That was a decent sale, I bought World War Z for PC during that sale.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2361 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Yeah by the time I found out they shut that down, along with some other AAA titles.
Was hilarious considering they didn't actually tell most publishers they'd be having a sale and kicking in $10 per title - but Epic is in full throw money mode so hopefully we get some more of those down the line. I'm guessing Christmas when they'd want to upstage the steam winter sale?
Bored...
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4247 posts
4440 upvotes
GTA
BYan wrote: Was hilarious considering they didn't actually tell most publishers they'd be having a sale and kicking in $10 per title - but Epic is in full throw money mode so hopefully we get some more of those down the line. I'm guessing Christmas when they'd want to upstage the steam winter sale?
Here's hoping. I love Epic and their attempt to bring competition to PC gaming. It still boggles me how many internet people's, including RFDers, hate on Epic because they have to install 'another app'.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2361 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Here's hoping. I love Epic and their attempt to bring competition to PC gaming. It still boggles me how many internet people's, including RFDers, hate on Epic because they have to install 'another app'.
Nah, no problems with one more app. I already got gog, uplay, battlenet, origin and steam, so what's one more? Buying up exclusives, however, is a no no. Throw that money your customer's way, not your supplier.

C'mon Timmy, your store still sucks and nobody wants to use it. Time to go for broke. Just buy a million copies of borderlands 3/outer worlds and start handing them out.

Fingers crossed for more free-money shenanigans!
Bored...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9488 posts
4000 upvotes
Only a 30 frames per second targert on regular XBox One and regular PS4.
Mid-gen upgraded systems( XBox One X and PS4 Pro) support 60 frames per second (although it is not a stable locked 60 FPS).
Probably will have to wait for the Digital Foundry analysis on that.

85% average on opencritic which puts it as the 28th highest reviewed game of 2019:
https://opencritic.com/game/7656/borderlands-3

I am playing it on PS4 Pro.

The reviewers that dislike it the most say the humor in BL3 the worst in the series.
Tales of the Borderlands has the best writing in the Borderlands franchise easily but that was mainly due to TellTale Games' writers
and not the ones Gearbox hires.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2354 posts
630 upvotes
Loving it thus far on PC. No issues.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9488 posts
4000 upvotes
At launch:
Regular PS4 and regular XBox One are between an unstable 20-30 frames per second with no option for performance mode on first gen hardware.

Mostly an unstable 50-60 frames per second on XBox One X and PS4 Pro and on Performance mode (1080p on both systems).

Digital Foundry has not done an analysis video on the PC version yet.
Oct 18, 2009
104 posts
61 upvotes
Playing on PS4, and it often lags, especially when going to inventory or skills menu. And so far I think it's the weakest of the series, much perferred 2 and TPS, so far!

My biggest gripes with it, the lag and items are hard to tell the difference between, is it ammo that dropped or a shield or grenade mod? Oh look, it's neither, it's a gun.....

Also the matchmaking is weak, I've yet to find a way to list games and join one that I want.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1854 upvotes
Ajax
XFactor11 wrote: At launch:
Regular PS4 and regular XBox One are between an unstable 20-30 frames per second with no option for performance mode on first gen hardware.

Mostly an unstable 50-60 frames per second on XBox One X and PS4 Pro and on Performance mode (1080p on both systems).

Digital Foundry has not done an analysis video on the PC version yet.
Developers being lazy again. If The Coalition can get Gears 5 going with 4K HDR @ 60fps, then what's the excuse?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8614 posts
5552 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Developers being lazy again. If The Coalition can get Gears 5 going with 4K HDR @ 60fps, then what's the excuse?
Gearbox has always been a lazy low effort developer and everything about this game looks awful for a 2019 release. It looks like a bargain bin game and I can't believe people are hyped enough to pay $70 to play this same old recycled junk at launch
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1141 posts
398 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I paid full retail cause I really wanted to play some fresh BL. Is it perfect? Of course not but damn if I know too many games that are perfect on Day 1. On my X the only gripes I have are the sometimes laggy menus and the waypoint issue. Not sure I would classify it as "same old recycled junk". Then again this game is as close as I get to playing a RPG and I am having fun. To each their own I guess.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1854 upvotes
Ajax
quicksilver7 wrote: I paid full retail cause I really wanted to play some fresh BL. Is it perfect? Of course not but damn if I know too many games that are perfect on Day 1. On my X the only gripes I have are the sometimes laggy menus and the waypoint issue. Not sure I would classify it as "same old recycled junk". Then again this game is as close as I get to playing a RPG and I am having fun. To each their own I guess.
The problem is we keep letting these jerks off by purchasing day one at full price. Look at the Anthem debacle. Pretty sure it's free at this point in order to muster up any interest for future franchise iterations.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1141 posts
398 upvotes
Nova Scotia
mrtvgame wrote: The problem is we keep letting these jerks off by purchasing day one at full price. Look at the Anthem debacle. Pretty sure it's free at this point in order to muster up any interest for future franchise iterations.
I understand that but with almost every game (and certainly one that took 6 years from the last one) you will have day 1 buyers and with day 1 patches what is going to stop them releasing a "broken" game? Agree with the notion that anything released in 2019 and forward should not have tons of bugs but I don't see it stopping anytime soon. For me its basically a known quantity when buying day 1 and I live with it. Being a fan of the series I can live with it. I also understand the resentment to the developers that do this but really there aren't many games released without bugs.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2361 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Gearbox has always been a lazy low effort developer...
Unfortunately... yes. They are the poster boys for reaching for the lowest hanging fruit possible, but they have their niche in the Borderlands series. It's their golden goose and it'll keep them in business for a long, long time. It only takes one hit to make somebody. Just look at how long 3d realms was able to keep going on the back of Duke 3d back in the day.
Bored...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1854 upvotes
Ajax
quicksilver7 wrote: I understand that but with almost every game (and certainly one that took 6 years from the last one) you will have day 1 buyers and with day 1 patches what is going to stop them releasing a "broken" game? Agree with the notion that anything released in 2019 and forward should not have tons of bugs but I don't see it stopping anytime soon. For me its basically a known quantity when buying day 1 and I live with it. Being a fan of the series I can live with it. I also understand the resentment to the developers that do this but really there aren't many games released without bugs.
Right and if you keep that cycle going nothing will change. Try changing your habit. Ask yourself, do you or any of us for that matter REALLY need a game on day one? Maybe when I was a teenager but once real life kicks in with real jobs, real debts, real marriages, real kids, real extras, real cars, real mortgages, real taxes . . . I would argue not many need day 1 releases. Within 3-5 months, the games are on sale, usually at levels that were available for E3 pre-orders or better and are fixed from their issues. If they are not, I take a pass. I have games sitting from 2 years ago so there is a lot to do and the reality is I just do not have the time to invest the time and/or the money.

Bottom line, if we continue to support their broken game culture, nothing will change. Voting with your wallet time and time again is required for change.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1141 posts
398 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I agree with everything you posted but I will say those real jobs, real debts, real marriages, real kids.....are also real stress(es) and for a series that took 6 years to release another one I gladly paid the pre order price. I always pre order games at the lower prices. If they are "no good" I can return easily. Most the time I do not open them right away and start doing some research on gameplay and watch youtube (ACG is great) and determine if I can wait until the game goes even lower in price. If so I return the game unopened.

This is how I handle my gaming and I am not saying its correct or for everybody.