• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 3:37 pm
[OP]
Mar 31, 2017
329 posts
302 upvotes

Bosch 800 series condensation dryer issue

Hi Friends,

I have bought Bosch 800 series condensation dryer (non wifi) from Costco last year.

After 3 month it is nothing but a problem for me and I am not sure how to deal with the issue. I really would appreciate the opinion from someone about their experience of condensation dryer.

My major issue is Dryer is not drying clothes well (now mostly I am using Cotton dry cycle). Once cloths are not fully wet than no matter what cycle I use, dryer will not get hot and it will not dry cloth further.

Also I am seeing random error which Bosch is not able to rectify after 3 visit. Error is random and I cannot reproduce error.

Once there is an error Dryer will not heat up for several hours.

Hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12483 posts
3670 upvotes
GTA
Return it to Costco.........

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Mar 31, 2017
329 posts
302 upvotes
I think after 90 days you can’t return.

Any trick and tips with Condensation dryer are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12483 posts
3670 upvotes
GTA
Capindy wrote: I think after 90 days you can’t return.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. If the repair guys cant fix the issue after three visits, I would be pushing for a replacement.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6660 posts
2996 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's believed to be a heat pump so really like an air conditioner(!) or dehumidifier with a rolling drum. If there is no heat, might pull it out to check if the condenser and evaporator coils are clean. If it's in a closet, leave it open. Check install to see if required space is available. Check lint filters. Make sure drain line (if there is one) is not kinked.

How I think it works is, the gaseous(?) coolant is compressed into a liquid and thus releases heat - that warms and dries air via the condenser coil. That heated air is fed into the drum to heat/dry the clothes. As the moist air leaves the drum, it hits the evaporator coil where the compressed liquid coolant is evaporated by the warm, moist exhaust air which is cooled, and hence water condenses on this coil (wet lint could get trapped here). This coil could freeze if it is not kept clean = a common problem with house air conditioners - hence why it may stop working for hours until it defrosts. Cycle repeats itself as it were.

If you've been drying very short-fibre sheddy textiles, it could have clogged one or both the coils.

You could ask one of the HVAC technicians. Could be one of the valves or switches not working intermittently.

What is the error code?

Disclaimer: Never seen a HP/condensing dryer in real life but I do have a whole-house heat pump, a portable dehumidifier, and a portable A/C, HP heater and dehumidifier.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6660 posts
2996 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Well, it would appear the your dryer is a condensing one and not a HP (Costco does have a Bosch 500 HP dryer but the only 800 is a condensing, all OoS).

Not sure how the condensing dryer works. It must heat air (uses resistive heating?) but removes moisture by flowing the air over a cool surface (like how Miele and Bosch DWs dry).

Suspect:

1) condenser surface is covered with wet lint
2) pump is clogged
3) drain from condenser or water collection tank (or where it pumps out) is clogged, hence stops working until it drains
4) make sure the lint collector(s) is clean - clean before each use - and is not bent out of shape (might be so lint is getting to the condenser)

Keep the dryer door open when not in use so the unit can dry out, just like you would never close a front-loader washer when not in use.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Mar 31, 2017
329 posts
302 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Well, it would appear the your dryer is a condensing one and not a HP (Costco does have a Bosch 500 HP dryer but the only 800 is a condensing, all OoS).

Not sure how the condensing dryer works. It must heat air (uses resistive heating?) but removes moisture by flowing the air over a cool surface (like how Miele and Bosch DWs dry).

Suspect:

1) condenser surface is covered with wet lint
2) pump is clogged
3) drain from condenser or water collection tank (or where it pumps out) is clogged, hence stops working until it drains
4) make sure the lint collector(s) is clean - clean before each use - and is not bent out of shape (might be so lint is getting to the condenser)

Keep the dryer door open when not in use so the unit can dry out, just like you would never close a front-loader washer when not in use.
I am not sure about Clogging, rest things are fine based on routines of cleaning. Bosch never raised concerns on clogging though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6660 posts
2996 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Capindy wrote: I am not sure about Clogging, rest things are fine based on routines of cleaning. Bosch never raised concerns on clogging though.
Could be a kinked hose. If the problem clears up after a while, I would suspect something is not draining properly.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5917 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
Capindy wrote: I think after 90 days you can’t return.

Any trick and tips with Condensation dryer are highly appreciated.

Thanks
They're generally not as good at drying things. I've previously used them for years as they are particularly common in the UK and other countries where having a vented dryer is not common. I've used Bosch ones too, and yeah, the drying cycle is 3 hours long and they don't come out bone dry usually. Your issue sounds like more than that, though. Check the manual, there are likely options you can select (sometimes in hidden menus) to tell it to dry more.

Personally I would only ever get a condensing dryer if there was really no way to get a vented one.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2017
329 posts
302 upvotes
Manatus wrote: They're generally not as good at drying things. I've previously used them for years as they are particularly common in the UK and other countries where having a vented dryer is not common. I've used Bosch ones too, and yeah, the drying cycle is 3 hours long and they don't come out bone dry usually. Your issue sounds like more than that, though. Check the manual, there are likely options you can select (sometimes in hidden menus) to tell it to dry more.

Personally I would only ever get a condensing dryer if there was really no way to get a vented one.
I will look into manual and will ask Technician if there is any cycle which will ignore moisture sensor and dry cloths.

I am aware that this dryer will not dry cloths like bone dry. My issue is you can really feel that lot of moisture is left. You may say that cloths are wet.

For initial two three months things were satisfactory but after that drying is like hit or miss. I definitely can’t do two loads in a same day.