Bosch Tankless Hot Water

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2019 6:15 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
389 posts
230 upvotes

Bosch Tankless Hot Water

Hey guys, does anyone have experience with Bosch Tankless Hot Water Heater? (9800SE) I just moved into a new build and it takes approx 1-2 minutes of hot water on full before I feel any warm/hot water come out the taps. My old house with it's water tank would have hot water in 5-10 seconds depending how far the tap was from the tank.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1240 posts
1748 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Have you measured the time or it's estimate (it sometimes seems longer than it really is), we have a different one and it takes approx. 40-45 seconds (measured with a stopper).
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2357 posts
633 upvotes
I have a tankless and it's definitely a lot longer to get hot water. Can't say that I've ever timed it, but its not as long as you said yours was.

That being said, my gas bills are now much smaller. Well worth the trade-off if you ask me.
Jan 22, 2018
112 posts
57 upvotes
gas bills smaller but wouldnt your electric bills go higher?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17532 posts
10306 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Two things here causing the delay:

1. Tankless hot water supply is always going to be slower than tanked as the water heater will have to detect water movement before firing up the burners to heat the heat exchanger which will in turn heat the water.
2. Comparing the time lag between two different houses is MEANINGLESS as the distance between the hot water source (regardless if it's tanked or tankless) and the rate of flow (ie how much pressure, as well as the diameter of the pipes, may be different) will be different so of course you will see some change in time. This is especially true if you are coming from copper to PEX as PEX is generally thinner especially for any joint and would have a lower rate of flow.
Jun 6, 2008
300 posts
37 upvotes
I am a big fan of tankless - had one at the cottage. Made no sense to keep 40 gallons heating when we weren't there most of the week. Now, here's the thing. When I moved to a newish house, ( 5 yrs old ) I bought a tankless to replace the 40 gallon heater.
I called reliant_ the cost to get them to take theirs out was hundreds. Basically the cost of a new tank!. It might be slightly more favourable now a year later.
What I'm trying to avoid is the cost of heating a hot water tank constantly for one person, and also the rental cost of tank. I think its $32 every month.

Anyone know how to get out of those penalties/ agreement that accompanies the rental water heater that's installed? . - my tankless is still in the garage in the box.
TIA
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2357 posts
633 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: The October issue of CR tested tankless versus tank for temp set at 120F and annual gas costs were $195 for tankless compared to $245 for a tank. Annual electric costs were $535 for electric tankless compared to $580 for electric tank. Hardly worth it when other costs are taken into account. Tankless is for those who don't have the real estate.
Well, my gas bill at my old 1000-sq foot home with a traditional tanked heater was 95 a month on equalized billing. My new 3000 sq foot home is 58 a month.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
jrees wrote: Well, my gas bill at my old 1000-sq foot home with a traditional tanked heater was 95 a month on equalized billing. My new 3000 sq foot home is 58 a month.
you realize that water usage is based on number of household members, not sq footage of house?

Also gas usage includes heating, so your new house prolly has a more efficient furnace and well insulated envelope.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2357 posts
633 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: you realize that water usage is based on number of household members, not sq footage of house?

Also gas usage includes heating, so your new house prolly has a more efficient furnace and well insulated envelope.
You do realize I have had the same number of household members for the last ten years right? Of course not because you assume I'm an idiot.

Also, I never would have guessed that my gas furnace uses gas for heating.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
jrees wrote: You do realize I have had the same number of household members for the last ten years right? Of course not because you assume I'm an idiot.

Also, I never would have guessed that my gas furnace uses gas for heating.
LOL
No I dont realise it since you didnt specify any of that did you ?
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2357 posts
633 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: LOL
No I dont realise it since you didnt specify any of that did you ?
Nope. So why would you assume?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2811 posts
953 upvotes
Windsor
vrscdx wrote: Hey guys, does anyone have experience with Bosch Tankless Hot Water Heater? (9800SE) I just moved into a new build and it takes approx 1-2 minutes of hot water on full before I feel any warm/hot water come out the taps. My old house with it's water tank would have hot water in 5-10 seconds depending how far the tap was from the tank.
My friend's cottage has a tankless water heater, and a small HWT after it (super small ... 5gal? It's about the size of a pail); apparently they added the little tank afterwards to resolve the issue you're seeing.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
ChubChub wrote: My friend's cottage has a tankless water heater, and a small HWT after it (super small ... 5gal? It's about the size of a pail); apparently they added the little tank afterwards to resolve the issue you're seeing.
That is called a buffer tank and helps alleviate the "cold water sandwich" issue as well as how long it takes to get hot water at the tap.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
389 posts
230 upvotes
I feel like my gas bill will go down with the tankless, but water bill might go up because of the water wasted waiting for it to heat up before I can jump into the shower, wash hands, etc. Also anyone have issues with the dishwasher or washing machine expecting hot water to dissolve soap but only getting cold water because of the delay?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17532 posts
10306 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vrscdx wrote: I feel like my gas bill will go down with the tankless, but water bill might go up because of the water wasted waiting for it to heat up before I can jump into the shower, wash hands, etc. Also anyone have issues with the dishwasher or washing machine expecting hot water to dissolve soap but only getting cold water because of the delay?
You will get some initial delay as the pipes are cleared of cool/cold water but after that you should be fine for the duration of the wash. You can (and should) insulate your pipes especially the first 10 feet or so past the water heater to increase the efficiency of the system.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1703 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
We have a tankless and it's no more than 10 seconds to get hot water at the tap, but I'm in a bungalow.

This will be primarily based on the length of pipe between the fixture and your water heater. Other factors at play too (does pipe run against outside wall, is it wrapped or not wrapped, copper vs pex etc.)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
craftsman wrote: You will get some initial delay as the pipes are cleared of cool/cold water but after that you should be fine for the duration of the wash. You can (and should) insulate your pipes especially the first 10 feet or so past the water heater to increase the efficiency of the system.
That will make the cold water sammich even more pronounced. It's better to not do that so you don't fool yourself when getting in the shower only to get hit by a cold splash.