Hot Deals

[Bose Canada] Bose Solo 5 Soundbar - $119.99 (Refurb)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 8:47 pm
[OP]
Jul 12, 2009
391 posts
515 upvotes

[Bose Canada] Bose Solo 5 Soundbar - $119.99 (Refurb)

It’s back, been keeping an eye on this.

Good (not great) simple soundbar for smaller rooms, at this price it’s a steal. Bose refurbs are great quality and customer service/returns are easy if you don’t like it.

Pros:
Compact
Bluetooth
Solid universal remote
Comes with optical cable

Cons:
No HDMI
A bit dated now, lacks of advanced features
Not great for bigger rooms/lacks bass
Can’t connect to other systems

Inputs/outputs are:
Optical audio input (digital)
Coaxial audio input (digital)
3.5 mm aux input (analogue)

Box comes with:
Bose Solo 5 TV sound system—Refurbished
Universal remote control
Power supply and cable
Optical digital audio cable

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/bose/solo-5

PROS
Well-built design.
Decent sounding on stereo content, especially for its size

CONS
Lack of DTS support; poor connectivity options.
Poor bass performance.
Small soundstage.

If you're looking to spend more dough:
Bose Soundbar 500 – Refurbished is $494.99
Bose Soundbar 700—Refurbished is $599.99
Images
  • 6349E7B2-233B-4360-9AC6-64C0F86AA58D.jpeg
Last edited by livemink on Jul 3rd, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
2960 posts
2577 upvotes
I have this. Worth it at this price. I paid $125 at the outlet in Toronto
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
1970 posts
4481 upvotes
Bought this one for my parents, but it was quite underwhelming, definitely not worth the original price but at $120 it's not bad.
Jan 28, 2013
295 posts
187 upvotes
Vancouver
I know there's a lot of Bose haters out there, but I personally do not mind their sound. Come at me. (I am a believer that "sound" is in the ear of the beholder. Everyone has their own tastes).

However, even at this price I'm still hesitant.

I previously purchased this at Costco for my small bedroom a year ago. The sound was very underwhelming for me also. After listening for one day and watching a movie, it was an instant return. My biggest issue is the sound stage. It sounds like there's a piece of foam dampening the speakers. Very muted sound.

Good to know there's easy returns for people willing to try. $120 won't hurt if you can stand the sound quality.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2105 posts
2810 upvotes
BC
I bought this and quickly returned it. Sound is underwhelming/no bass response and the remote is massive. It might be okay for a small bedroom however it won't fill a living room. From what I recall, you also need a optical cable and doesn't support HDMI (might be wrong).

Highly recommend looking elsewhere - have the Vizio soundbar from costco for $199 which is a way better value.

Not a bose hater, have a soundlink mini II and the soundbar sounded pretty similar while being much larger.
Nov 15, 2005
695 posts
380 upvotes
Montreal
i bought this about 1-2 years ago and was disappointed.. voice are clear but not good for open space! could be good for bedroom but don't wast your time with this soundbar! the only good think it keep its value!
Koodo 6gb call/text - 40$
Virgin Mobile 50/10 unlimited - 39,99$
May 18, 2012
955 posts
746 upvotes
MARKHAM
peakingduck wrote: I bought this and quickly returned it. Sound is underwhelming/no bass response and the remote is massive. It might be okay for a small bedroom however it won't fill a living room. From what I recall, you also need a optical cable and doesn't support HDMI (might be wrong).

Highly recommend looking elsewhere - have the Vizio soundbar from costco for $199 which is a way better value.

Not a bose hater, have a soundlink mini II and the soundbar sounded pretty similar while being much larger.
I bought this earlier today while debating over getting a vizio soundbar to match my vizio tv. It’s half the price and i just need it for a small condo so it’s not like sound will be a problem.

For anyone considering buying this, make sure your tv has the optical out.

The port looks like this

The cable looks like this

Pretty sure you cant connect to this via HDMI so make sure your tv can even support it

I could be wrong I don’t know anything about subwoofers or TVs or cables but maybe this will still help someone
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2105 posts
2810 upvotes
BC
moufasa wrote: I bought this earlier today while debating over getting a vizio soundbar to match my vizio tv. It’s half the price and i just need it for a small condo so it’s not like sound will be a problem.
At the very least you should buy both and try them out since returns are free. The surround sound on the VIZIO on a different level, makes the watching experience so much better.

Our living room is quite small and the Bose sounded flat, I think even my soundlink mini BT speaker had a better overall sound. I probably sound like a shill but I highly recommend you go with the Vizio, worth paying extra imo.
Last edited by peakingduck on Jul 3rd, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2009
391 posts
515 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: At the very least you should buy both and try them out since returns are free. The surround sound on the VIZIO on a different level, makes the watching experience so much better.

Our living room is quite small and the Bose sounded flat, I think even my soundlink mini BT speaker had a better overall sound. I probably sound like a shill but I highly recommend you go with the Vizio, worth paying extra imo.

I recall the Bose had to be turned on each time with the massive remote and that was annoying. Vizio soundbar turns on with my TV and can be controlled with my fire stick.

Oh yeah also there are no buttons on the bose so if you lose (unlikely) or your remote breaks you can’t control the soundbar and it becomes a brick
No experience with the Vizio, but just to clarify I control my Bose with the small FireTV remote - both volume and power (you just have to go into the FireTV settings, even voice control works to turn it off)
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2105 posts
2810 upvotes
BC
livemink wrote: No experience with the Vizio, but just to clarify I control my Bose with the small FireTV remote - both volume and power (you just have to go into the FireTV settings, even voice control works to turn it off)
thanks for the correction, i'll edit my post
[OP]
Jul 12, 2009
391 posts
515 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: thanks for the correction, i'll edit my post
no worries!
Is the Vizio for $199 still available? I'm a bit curious too, although a higher price point.
May 18, 2012
955 posts
746 upvotes
MARKHAM
peakingduck wrote: At the very least you should buy both and try them out since returns are free. The surround sound on the VIZIO on a different level, makes the watching experience so much better.

I recall the Bose had to be turned on each time with the massive remote and that was annoying. Vizio soundbar turns on with my TV and can be controlled with my fire stick.

Oh yeah also there are no buttons on the bose so if you lose (unlikely) or your remote breaks you can’t control the soundbar and it becomes a brick
I think i found the thread for that costco vizio soundbar, seems like several people reported that it randomly shuts off which is a big problem. But yes the audio seems to be much better than the Bose when it is working. I can’t seem to find any vizio sound bars that are even in stock for $199
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2105 posts
2810 upvotes
BC
livemink wrote: no worries!
Is the Vizio for $199 still available? I'm a bit curious too, although a higher price point.
I think the price is back up but it has gone on sale for $199 pretty regularly