• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2020 11:56 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2019
54 posts
196 upvotes

[Bose Canada] Bose SoundWear Companion speaker $239,save $160

Seeing this special offer on the Bose website, may be a good price.Image
Last edited by JackL59372 on Apr 3rd, 2020 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
20 replies
Nov 28, 2007
106 posts
201 upvotes
Big bose fan here, but this is one product where I fail to see it's usefulness.
Dec 20, 2018
303 posts
450 upvotes
I use something similar when I ride my bike to have music that doesn't disturb people as much as a bluetooth speaker, but doesn't cut me off from my surroundings as much as earphones.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15003 posts
6402 upvotes
Ottawa
majorwang wrote: Big bose fan here, but this is one product where I fail to see it's usefulness.
I bought one for my wife. She uses it * a lot*

It's useful for listening to music or podcasts around the house. Basically it's like a set of speakers where the wearer only hears most of the sound, other nearby people can hear it but at a way lower volume, and you can still interact with them, but it is less isolating than earphones.

She used to play her podcasts through the computer speakers or iPad and do stuff around the house, but I got really annoyed because it was a constant babbling noise that I didn't want to hear. With these things, I can still talk to her but she can hear her podcast clearly.

The closest equivalent to these (in a headphone) would be something like the Airpods. They have no isolation, and "disappear" (you forget you are wearing them). Other headphones are too clunky, hot or less comfortable than these.

So yes, their usefulness is limited, but if you have the right use case, these are great.
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Nov 28, 2014
7 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Awesome price, I was looking at this but the $$$ was out of reach. Thanks so much for posting, picked up one for me and one for my wife!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15003 posts
6402 upvotes
Ottawa
The innerfidelity review was the review that convinced me to buy them back then (and I paid full price with no regrets).

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/b ... on-speaker

Worth a read. There is some analysis of the way the device emits/processes the sound, and some measurements

I almost think of these things like a tablet. Before, there were just phones and laptops. But then the tablet (iPad) came along. These are a kind of in-between form factor that fulfills a different need,
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1718 posts
3261 upvotes
Toronto
I would suggest price in the title. Instead of the amount you save. Just makes it easy to mistake at first glance.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14913 posts
1197 upvotes
Markham
love the concept (ears are completely open to environment while listening) but these are still too pricey... i've settled with bone conduction headphones meanwhile (garbage bass, but ears are completely unobstructed)
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22136 posts
166291 upvotes
GTA
While I still think it's a tad expensive, it's an interesting proposition for someone who typically has trouble finding well-fitting earphones (especially for just around the house where you don't necessarily want to wear headphones - for comfort reasons / need to be more aware of your surroundings).
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3501 posts
2137 upvotes
Kitchener
ShadowVlican wrote: love the concept (ears are completely open to environment while listening) but these are still too pricey... i've settled with bone conduction headphones meanwhile (garbage bass, but ears are completely unobstructed)
These are useful if you have a job that has a lot of noise, or if you're doing something like cutting grass with a gas mower: put in earplugs to block out sounds, then use the bone conduction headphone -- you got music, but very little background noise.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11281 posts
660 upvotes
Ottawa
Ouch; I came in seeing the price as $160 in the title; would always recommend putting the actual price in the title as well.

I missed out on the Amazon.com deals back on BF, where this was $150USD - given current exchange rates, this is a good price.
- Absolute
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15003 posts
6402 upvotes
Ottawa
Absolute wrote: I missed out on the Amazon.com deals back on BF, where this was $150USD - given current exchange rates, this is a good price.
They were actually $150 USD for more than a month throughout last summer too. I know because I picked up a second one when I was travelling in the US.
The problem with the US deals is that nobody will ship these to Canada, so you need a drop service at minimum.
Mar 11, 2020
173 posts
100 upvotes
got this for $213.57 after tax...is that a good deal or should i return it
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11281 posts
660 upvotes
Ottawa
cream4389 wrote: got this for $213.57 after tax...is that a good deal or should i return it
From where? That sounds like a great deal to me...
- Absolute
Sep 30, 2006
347 posts
111 upvotes
Scarborough
I have this... If you have young kids you don't want to wear headphones in case they're calling you, but want to listen to your own stuff.. I say it's a good product...

People who can't think of a use case probably don't have people calling for them much...
I actually do yard work with these too under my jacket, sound still comes out fine, and I can hear things around me still.
Dec 10, 2007
346 posts
97 upvotes
I almost got this over the QC35 when I bought my Mazda (got a Bose gift). I like the idea, especially for audiobooks with the kids potentially calling for you.

That being said, seems to be OOS.
Apr 10, 2009
710 posts
297 upvotes
markham
i bought two of them on april 11 and it wasn’t OOS yet but mine still haven’t shipped out i’m worried they might not have it anyone bought it earlier? have their been shipped yet ? thanks
Never Trade What You Want Most ,For What You Want In The Moment