Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bose Canada

Refurbished Bose QC35 headphones (Black, First gen) - $249.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2019 8:37 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
signup wrote: I have this headphone, I'm speaking from my personal experience. The first thing I tested right after I got it.

I regret that I upgraded the firmware because the difference is very noticeable. You can find in Bose forum about this issue.
Well, you must be imagining things because for you to say that before the upgrade you couldn't hear voices is a lie, because that's not how ANC works. ANC will drown out things like fans, airplane engines while you're on the plane, but you will still hear people around you talking. At a much lower volume. If they are chewing food it will drown out the sound too. I did extensive testing in my home with kids in the background, fan noise, tv, and after the update, everything remained the same. I think you're imagining things now, based on reading too much online. And yes, I'm basing this on the fact that you said before the upgrade you couldn't hear people talking. Again, that's not what ANC cancels out. It doesn't completely mute your environment.
Jun 5, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
najibs wrote: Well, you must be imagining things because for you to say that before the upgrade you couldn't hear voices is a lie, because that's not how ANC works. ANC will drown out things like fans, airplane engines while you're on the plane, but you will still hear people around you talking. At a much lower volume. If they are chewing food it will drown out the sound too. I did extensive testing in my home with kids in the background, fan noise, tv, and after the update, everything remained the same. I think you're imagining things now, based on reading too much online. And yes, I'm basing this on the fact that you said before the upgrade you couldn't hear people talking. Again, that's not what ANC cancels out. It doesn't completely mute your environment.
I agree 100%. I received my qc35i on Wednesday on firmware 1.3.2. I just want to preface this with by no means am I an audiophile.

I tried a half day of use on 1.3.2 during my commute and work in the office, and the second half of my day in the office on 3.0.3 and the commute home.

I didn’t notice a difference either when upgrading the firmware. Again, perhaps my ears are not as acute or I’m not as picky. But I honestly didn’t hear a difference in the ANC.

Admittedly, I didn’t own any pair of ANC headphones prior to this pair. My original thought was that ANC on high would drown out ALL noise. But as I’ve read, it’s meant to mute some background noise and some quiet sounds (fans, AC, quiet chatter, etc.).

For my needs, I definitely think there’s no difference in the firmware update. For anyone still hesitant to update, you do you. But from an average consumer’s point of view, it fits my needs and I don’t notice a difference in ANC pre and post update.
Oct 25, 2010
855 posts
415 upvotes
What is the update supposed to do anyway?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-PXC-55 ... 145&sr=8-5

This is another pair in the same category with good reviews.

I don't get why so many of you are buying the Bose, which have a battery that is non-replaceable. Won't it become useless in 5-6 years?
Jan 28, 2008
415 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just received mine two days ago, and here is my experience with QC35 so far.

I tried with many Amazon Over-the-ear ANC headphones, and I found that the ANC level is similar with Mpow H10/H12 series. But more comfortable. However, I found that Mpow H17 is more comfortable compared to Boss QC35. Too bad the Mpow H17's ANC performance is not good as Boss QC35 or H10/12.
Sound quality wise, I could not find much difference between Mpow headphones and this QC35, at least to my ears.
Bluetooth range wise, I was disappointed to QC35 because the range is too short compared to any under $100 brands, I experienced disconnects from a sofa next to my desktop.
That being said, I just could not find huge pros to keep the Boss QC35 compared to the Amazon's under $100 brands, I may return it. I will probably test it for 1 more week before make my decision.

Maybe I will try to update the firmware as it could improve the Bluetooth range.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
I mean, if you're just listening at home you're not going to really appreciate the ANC.

On a side note... have you guys already received your Rakuten/Ebates 15%?
Aug 6, 2017
36 posts
41 upvotes
HBP wrote: I mean, if you're just listening at home you're not going to really appreciate the ANC.

On a side note... have you guys already received your Rakuten/Ebates 15%?
Yup, I received mine the day I got the shipping confirmation.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2981 posts
1066 upvotes
najibs wrote: Well, you must be imagining things because for you to say that before the upgrade you couldn't hear voices is a lie, because that's not how ANC works. ANC will drown out things like fans, airplane engines while you're on the plane, but you will still hear people around you talking. At a much lower volume. If they are chewing food it will drown out the sound too. I did extensive testing in my home with kids in the background, fan noise, tv, and after the update, everything remained the same. I think you're imagining things now, based on reading too much online. And yes, I'm basing this on the fact that you said before the upgrade you couldn't hear people talking. Again, that's not what ANC cancels out. It doesn't completely mute your environment.
Upvote for this.. I agree 100%
Nov 28, 2007
160 posts
298 upvotes
Cheapdutchman97 wrote: Ordered August 26th (15% cashback on ebates), shipped August 28th, received this morning (September 4th). Received the 1st gen unfortunately but so far nothing short of spectacular in regards to noise cancellation. Firmware 1.3.2 originally. Manufacturing date was November 2018. Will not be upgrading the firmware.
have one on order and also curious to know what my firmware is.
how did you check your firmware (app, or on PC?) and does it force an auto-update?
Nov 13, 2003
268 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
majorwang wrote: have one on order and also curious to know what my firmware is.
how did you check your firmware (app, or on PC?) and does it force an auto-update?
2 ways:
- install the Bose Connect app on your phone, or
- usb connect your device to your pc, then go to https://btu.bose.com (think you have to install the bose update program along the way)

For both cases, you have to explicitly initiate the update.
Sep 7, 2018
41 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary
majorwang wrote: have one on order and also curious to know what my firmware is.
Had to use the app to find the firmware. It does prompt you to update but you can download and still not upgrade.
Nov 28, 2007
160 posts
298 upvotes
Anyone been able to order a refurb silver pair since the start of this thread?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
majorwang wrote: Anyone been able to order a refurb silver pair since the start of this thread?
Nope. OOS. I settled for black as I got tired of waiting for silver.
Jul 20, 2018
527 posts
475 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote: I was on the lookout for these, but grabbed the QC25 for $135 on Prime day and can no longer justify the price for the recertified Q35s.

That was a nice deal. I did the same. Loving then so far
Nov 28, 2007
160 posts
298 upvotes
Had them for about a week. Good price, comfortable, good sound, good ANC, but will probably return. Inability to control ANC on/off on the headphone itself is driving me nuts (you need to control it from phone app). I only need ANC every now and then, perfectly happy with it off most of the time. It takes 15 seconds for the app to connect, scroll through a menu and hit select. When you turn the headphones off, the settings do not persist so you have to redo it all over again. If your phone is not within reach, then even more time is wasted. If you'll be using these daily, I estimate over 120 minutes lost from fiddling around with the settings in a typical work year. Depending on your salary/hourly pay, springing for the 700 or QC35ii with built in controls is justified. Lastly, it needs a micro USB to charge (who uses that anymore?)

For the inquisitive mine shipped with fw 1.3.2, November 13, 2017
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
majorwang wrote: Had them for about a week. Good price, comfortable, good sound, good ANC, but will probably return. Inability to control ANC on/off on the headphone itself is driving me nuts (you need to control it from phone app). I only need ANC every now and then, perfectly happy with it off most of the time. It takes 15 seconds for the app to connect, scroll through a menu and hit select. When you turn the headphones off, the settings do not persist so you have to redo it all over again. If your phone is not within reach, then even more time is wasted. If you'll be using these daily, I estimate over 120 minutes lost from fiddling around with the settings in a typical work year. Depending on your salary/hourly pay, springing for the 700 or QC35ii with built in controls is justified. Lastly, it needs a micro USB to charge (who uses that anymore?)

You sound WAY too picky.
Nov 13, 2003
268 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
majorwang wrote: Had them for about a week. Good price, comfortable, good sound, good ANC, but will probably return. Inability to control ANC on/off on the headphone itself is driving me nuts (you need to control it from phone app). I only need ANC every now and then, perfectly happy with it off most of the time. It takes 15 seconds for the app to connect, scroll through a menu and hit select. When you turn the headphones off, the settings do not persist so you have to redo it all over again. If your phone is not within reach, then even more time is wasted. If you'll be using these daily, I estimate over 120 minutes lost from fiddling around with the settings in a typical work year. Depending on your salary/hourly pay, springing for the 700 or QC35ii with built in controls is justified. Lastly, it needs a micro USB to charge (who uses that anymore?)

I agree, if you have a use case to toggle ANC, or to adjust the level for that matter, using the app is a hassle. For me, I just take the headphone off or simply power off, but I can see why you want to be conditional with it. I also wish Bose could multiplex the existing hardware button(s) for the toggle...

By the way, the black refurb is back in stock; was OOS at one point.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)