• Jan 9th, 2017 5:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2889 posts
457 upvotes
Vancouver
Sennheiser def on my radar now. Sad I missed out on that amazing deal in December. I got the bf the QC35 as a birthday present but that's unfortunately going back. He's experiencing discomfort due to the audio pressure from the ANC. I think I saw someone else mention that in this thread or the other one.

Hmm any ideas on where one could try on a display model of the Momentum 2.0 over-ear wireless? It doesn't seem as readily available in B&M stores as compared to the Bose.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4286 posts
2079 upvotes
Toronto
litebrite wrote: Sennheiser def on my radar now. Sad I missed out on that amazing deal in December. I got the bf the QC35 as a birthday present but that's unfortunately going back. He's experiencing discomfort due to the audio pressure from the ANC. I think I saw someone else mention that in this thread or the other one.

Hmm any ideas on where one could try on a display model of the Momentum 2.0 over-ear wireless? It doesn't seem as readily available in B&M stores as compared to the Bose.
I ended up having to go down to an actual audio store that sells high end audio equipment just to find the Momentum 2.0 on display. The ANC in the Momentum is not as noticeable as in the Bose(probably part of the reason it's not rated as effective) but I've used it without music a few times and I don't notice any pressure, can barely tell it's there when music is on but it helps reduce street noise which is nice.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2044 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I've been using the Momentum's at work all morning and so far I definitely do notice the ANC. It's not as pronounced as the QC35's, but it's also the reason why they sound much better (audio wise) and aren't as uncomfortable as the QC35's in terms of ANC pressure. Still trying to find a comfortable position for the headphones on my head, but they're not horrible, just not super comfortable.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2889 posts
457 upvotes
Vancouver
Jep4444 wrote: I ended up having to go down to an actual audio store that sells high end audio equipment just to find the Momentum 2.0 on display. The ANC in the Momentum is not as noticeable as in the Bose(probably part of the reason it's not rated as effective) but I've used it without music a few times and I don't notice any pressure, can barely tell it's there when music is on but it helps reduce street noise which is nice.
Upvote for you! Thanks for the info. I'm not an audiophile obviously so it didn't occur to me to check out the specialty audio stores. :facepalm: Called one local one earlier and they do have demo Momentums so we'll be checking that out.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2889 posts
457 upvotes
Vancouver
Eluder wrote: I've been using the Momentum's at work all morning and so far I definitely do notice the ANC. It's not as pronounced as the QC35's, but it's also the reason why they sound much better (audio wise) and aren't as uncomfortable as the QC35's in terms of ANC pressure. Still trying to find a comfortable position for the headphones on my head, but they're not horrible, just not super comfortable.
Good insight. It's unfortunate the shining star feature of the QC35 (ANC) was also the cause of discomfort due to the pressure. The comfort factor is a huge one for the bf.... we'll see how the Sennheisers pan out.

Also on the radar now are the Sony MDR-1000x.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
678 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver
litebrite wrote: Good insight. It's unfortunate the shining star feature of the QC35 (ANC) was also the cause of discomfort due to the pressure. The comfort factor is a huge one for the bf.... we'll see how the Sennheisers pan out.

Also on the radar now are the Sony MDR-1000x.
Just an anecdote, but I picked up the QC35's over the holidays through a discount program at work. I also felt some of that ANC pressure, but after some reading I found that it's a common thing and will go away in time. Mostly due to equalization changes and your body adjusting to the lack of surrounding noise. After using the unit for the last 2 weeks - yes, it's not the most beautifully sounding headphone (bass is minimized, range of sound is not nearly as clear as my Sennheiser HD598se's); however, the noise cancelling is great (use it for studying) and the pressure has seemingly gone away.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2889 posts
457 upvotes
Vancouver
frankc92 wrote: Just an anecdote, but I picked up the QC35's over the holidays through a discount program at work. I also felt some of that ANC pressure, but after some reading I found that it's a common thing and will go away in time. Mostly due to equalization changes and your body adjusting to the lack of surrounding noise. After using the unit for the last 2 weeks - yes, it's not the most beautifully sounding headphone (bass is minimized, range of sound is not nearly as clear as my Sennheiser HD598se's); however, the noise cancelling is great (use it for studying) and the pressure has seemingly gone away.

Good luck.
Interesting. How often did you use the headphones during the 2 weeks for you to get acclimatized to them?
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
678 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver
litebrite wrote: Interesting. How often did you use the headphones during the 2 weeks for you to get acclimatized to them?
Hmm. I'd say a total of 2-3 hours on and off per night? I'd say that the pressure went away after the first week of use (probably even less).

For what it's worth, I say that if ANC is a big deal, QC35s are a great option. That being said, an audiophile would certainly appreciate a better soundboard with a not-as-stellar ANC as a compromise; however, for a full-time student or otherwise individual who may work in a coffee shop or common-area once in awhile, these have been a godsend! Blocked out noise in a busy hospital cafeteria beautifully.

Hope this helps!

- I should mention that transient sensations of pressure are a common occurrence across all devices with ANC; not just the QC35s (at least from what I've read....).