Careers

BOSS expecting use of personal articles for work purposes --WHAT DO?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2012 8:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 10, 2011
112 posts
42 upvotes
NEPEAN

BOSS expecting use of personal articles for work purposes --WHAT DO?

Hi ya'll

Was wondering your opinions on something. In a previous job my boss expected the employees to use their personal cell phones for work purposes... for instance to communicate with me while at work about work-related matters (this was a traveling-oriented job so we were often separated from our desks).

Personally, I am paying out of pocket for my cell phone bill, and I simply think it's unfair that I should be using my private services for work matters at MY expense. I advised that the company should purchase me a cell phone with monthly plan or at minimum reimburse me for my current plan expenses now. However I believe this was picked up in a negative way.

Same thing with car - the expectation that I am supposed to use my own car, my own GPS, my own gas, to drive to client residences. I am not insured as a commercial driver, and I don't want to put additional wear and tear on the car. Again, this meant I was not a "team player".

What do? Am I over-reacting and do most people just roll with it or am I right? What do?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
CRA form T2200 is your friend. At least then you can deduct the expenses from your taxable income on your tax return.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
At some point, you have to decide whether a job provides net benefits that are greater than other uses of your time and resources.

For some professionals, the cost of using their personal vehicle to travel to a place here and there, and their cell phone, is trivial compared to what they earn overall. For a pizza delivery person, the cost of using a personal vehicle may very well be greater than their paycheque.

My personal thought is that it creates a lot of resentment amongst staff if some folks at the company are expected to use personal vehicles without compensation, while others are given company vehicles or generous lease/mileage allowances. Firms should be keen to set company-wide policies as to vehicle use, and such policies enforced on a company-wide basis -- not merely ad hoc policy of individual managers who may have their own ideas. A business vehicle should be, first and foremost, a business tool.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to use their personal cell phone for work-related things unless you're being compensated. While personal cell phone can be used for communicating things in a pinch, it should not be the primary way of contacting an employee.

This is doubly true for gas and vehicle, because that is a huge expense to a person. If you're making $80k and you feel you're being compensated enough to overlook this, then fine - but I find the companies who are the worst for taking advantage of employees are the same ones who pay the least.

It's unprofessional on both counts. If you expect people to use their personal vehicle or phone for work purposes, then they should be compensated. Nothing really to debate here.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
It appears that u are working for a small company which nicle and dime its employees to use their personal cars and phones for work related matters. Not sure if it is helpful for u to complain as your boss may get an excuse to lay u off.

The fact that u need to use personal tools may make u qualified to be a subcontractor or self employed person. Discuss that with your employer not to issue u a T4, but based on jobs. Then u can deduct your cell phone and car expenses.