Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Boston?

I'm looking at going down to Boston for the May long weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to where to stay? I've noticed the downtown area is very expensive. Are there cheaper suburbs to stay in that provide easy access to the city itself?

Thank you
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
Boston in general is very expensive. Add the fact that you're booking a popular weekend on relatively short notice and you're going to have to pay through the roof.

According to Hotels.com, there's nothing in Boston or the surrounding suburbs available for under $200 CAD that weekend. Your best bet in terms of price/proximity/quality is Fairfield Inn & Suites Boston Cambridge at an average of $244/night.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
psyko514 wrote: Boston in general is very expensive. Add the fact that you're booking a popular weekend on relatively short notice and you're going to have to pay through the roof.

According to Hotels.com, there's nothing in Boston or the surrounding suburbs available for under $200 CAD that weekend. Your best bet in terms of price/proximity/quality is Fairfield Inn & Suites Boston Cambridge at an average of $244/night.
Ouch. Thank you.

Are there any other destinations you'd recommend along the east coast/in that area? I'm going from Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2282 posts
874 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Have you looked at perhaps staying in Worcester? It's a suburb west of Boston and about a 30 min drive.
May 19, 2013
92 posts
16 upvotes
Nova Scotia
What are you looking to do? North and south of Boston will be cheaper than downtown. Do you want a fancy hotel or would a cheap one do?

Ramada and Days Inn are less expensive and if you're willing to stay further out you'll find better deals.

What you intend to see or do would probably help you choose.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
No real plans really. Just want to get away for a few days with the girlfriend. I'm open to other suggestions too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
Try Club Quarters.

You need to be a member but you can Google a membership code. I used to use "university of illinois" but that was more than 5 years ago.
Phils
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: I'm looking at going down to Boston for the May long weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to where to stay? I've noticed the downtown area is very expensive.
Yes, you'll need to stay outside the city in the suburbs if you want a decent rate. Boston seems to be expensive all year round except perhaps during the winter!
Typhoonz wrote: No real plans really. Just want to get away for a few days with the girlfriend. I'm open to other suggestions too.
Montreal / Quebec City is much cheaper; or Washington DC - lots to see, nice weather, and many free museums.
Jul 9, 2008
498 posts
101 upvotes
I've done it both ways in Boston. Spend the extra money to stay in the heart of the city. Park at an outlying transit station and take transit in to save $40 a night parking.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: I'm looking at going down to Boston for the May long weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to where to stay? I've noticed the downtown area is very expensive. Are there cheaper suburbs to stay in that provide easy access to the city itself?

Thank you
Check out betterbidding first and then try bidding on Priceline. Hotwire is also another option.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
webworm wrote: Check out betterbidding first and then try bidding on Priceline. Hotwire is also another option.
Forgot about that. Thanks.

I'll check out prices in DC to compare the two. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Boston hotels are stupid expensive. You'll have to go east of Portland, Maine, to find anything cheap. There is also the youth hostel...

Parking in Boston is also expensive. Although I've had success with street parking and taking the subway. Check signs before you park.

The airport is super close to downtown with a free city bus to South Station from the airport. Plattsburgh has subsidized flights to Boston. Maybe a weekend in upper NY State with a day trip to Boston? Please keep in mind that unlike NYC, Boston is not a 24hour city. You need a reserved bed somewhere after midnight.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
May 2, 2011
82 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
Typhoonz wrote: Forgot about that. Thanks.

I'll check out prices in DC to compare the two. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Hey OP - did you end up going to DC or Boston?

I'm heading to Boston at the end of August - booked via Hotwire - Langham Hotel for okay rate (still too expensive...).
Now I need to know where to eat - any recommendations?? :-)
2013 WINS: 2 Run-of-engagement passes to To The Wonder, $25 Rocco's Plum Tomato GC, 2 Tix Mill St Beer Hall GO
2012 WINS: 100g Lindt bar, EXCEL mug, 300g Lindt bar, Turbo Tax Online, $75 STC GC, $125 Best Buy GC, 2 passes to MTCC Yoga Show, Lunch @ 3 Brewers, Cool Beer Brewing GB
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2012
1075 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
YertletheTurtle wrote: Hey OP - did you end up going to DC or Boston?

I'm heading to Boston at the end of August - booked via Hotwire - Langham Hotel for okay rate (still too expensive...).
Boston is super expensive for accommodations. Places to eat are Neptune Oyster and Mr Bartley's for burgers and onion rings/strings.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1578 posts
816 upvotes
GTHA
We were in Boston and stayed at an Airbnb for about CA$150/night for 4 nights. Excellent subway system and we took transit into the city everyday.

Lots of reasonable places to eat: North End with all the Italian eateries, Chinatown, etc., unless you're looking for fine dining.
Oct 5, 2010
610 posts
933 upvotes
YertletheTurtle wrote: Hey OP - did you end up going to DC or Boston?

I can give you 2 place not to eat. 1-South Street Diner. The place was dirty, filled with drunks and bums and the breakfast was awful. 2-Cheers. Went to the one in Faneuil Hall I only got a cheeseburger and fries portions were tiny, food was awful and it was pricey.
But there were a few decent places to eat in Faneuil Hall I had wicked Calm Chowder at one don't remember name though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)