Parenting & Family

Both parents have split custody of child, There is only have Only 1 OHIP Card, how to decide which parent to carry it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2021 11:12 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5300 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes

Both parents have split custody of child, There is only have Only 1 OHIP Card, how to decide which parent to carry it?

So an interesting situation has come up for an immediate family member. Both parents have split custody of the child, but the child goes back and forth between parents, how do u decide which parent keeps the OHIP card?

Can OHIP issue a secondary card to the other parent in this case? or every time the mom drops off the boy does the mom need to bring his OHIP card too? this seems like so much stuff to carry?

can we take a photo of the ohip card? not sure if this will work cus i always see them scanning the mag stripe?

pls let us know, thank you
Hi
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8220 posts
1865 upvotes
Maybe it's just me, but nitpicking much?

Doctor's visits are normally scheduled, so who ever is scheduled to be with the child, they keep it until the next scheduled appointment, then passes it on to the other parent if its their turn for appointments.

Emergency visits to the ER do not require your OHIP card. AND in the event of an emergency, wont the other parent be notified anyway?
Feb 26, 2005
182 posts
64 upvotes
London
I can imagine a lot of situations where this would be useful. What if the kid gets sick at one parent's house, but it's not bad enough to go to the ER? When I go to a walk-in clinic, they ask for my OHIP card. Seems like a hassle to have to contact the other parent whenever this comes up. I don't have a solution, but it seems like a legitimate problem to me.
Jan 27, 2020
11 posts
9 upvotes
I don't know if it's still true, but it used to be they would accept a color photocopy. We always sent a color photocopy with any family member when the kids went to their houses.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5300 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
EPcjay wrote: Maybe it's just me, but nitpicking much?

Doctor's visits are normally scheduled, so who ever is scheduled to be with the child, they keep it until the next scheduled appointment, then passes it on to the other parent if its their turn for appointments.

Emergency visits to the ER do not require your OHIP card. AND in the event of an emergency, wont the other parent be notified anyway?
According to the 2 posters AFTER your post, its NOT nitpicking much? they have valid reasons just like my family friend does. Some times Walk-in visits are unscheduled and needed. you also need your OHIP when taking a Covid test too lately. im trying to be reasonable, so stop looking for a way to put my posts down
Hi
May 2, 2020
207 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
How is carrying a card when dropping off a child to their other parent too much to carry? I am sure their wallets are filled with bullshit rewards cards they can take one out and put the OHIP card in it for the sake of their child...

Or get a small card wallet for the child and ensure that it's in their school bag/stuff when they switch parents.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5300 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
Azmosis30 wrote: How is carrying a card when dropping off a child to their other parent too much to carry? I am sure their wallets are filled with bullshit rewards cards they can take one out and put the OHIP card in it for the sake of their child...

Or get a small card wallet for the child and ensure that it's in their school bag/stuff when they switch parents.
your not "helping" the situation nor are you answering the question, theres some situations where dropping the children to school / Daycare and having another parent pick up the child, where do u give the ohip card? to the teacher or day care staff? thats not really such a good idea. stop thinking about ways to avoid this situation and atleast try to come up with solutions for the question I asked.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8220 posts
1865 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: According to the 2 posters AFTER your post, its NOT nitpicking much? they have valid reasons just like my family friend does. Some times Walk-in visits are unscheduled and needed. you also need your OHIP when taking a Covid test too lately. im trying to be reasonable, so stop looking for a way to put my posts down
ok . Here's my contribution

1. Create a system between parents. Pass it on each time? 1 parent keeps it, and on standby when needed
2. Parents no in speaking terms? Create a "important" pouch in the child's bag. What ever important goes in there. Meds, Health Card, immunization record, family doctor contact, etc etc. Parents take it from the child's backpack each time they arrive and place it back when they are to leave.
3. Have a mutual safety deposit box?
4. Leave it a mutual person's house? Aunt/Uncle/God Parents/Grandparents?

A child who travels between houses usually has a backpack to bring. Whether its colouring books, extra clothes, stuffies, I imagine they have a go-bag of some sort. So #2 should work best imo.
Last edited by EPcjay on May 27th, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2174 posts
1655 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
@GoodFellaz I am in a different province, so the rules may be different. Our cards here are just the number, no scan card. I find if I can show the number with out the card, it has always been good enough. My kids, spouse and I all now have a photo on our phones, in case of an emergency. We bring the card if it's not an emergency, and we also have two. I thought I had lost one, and called and they sent me another. In ON, is the number good enough? In mine, once you get the number, it never changes.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2485 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
Azmosis30 wrote: How is carrying a card when dropping off a child to their other parent too much to carry? I am sure their wallets are filled with bullshit rewards cards they can take one out and put the OHIP card in it for the sake of their child...

I'm pretty sure the OP means it's a hassle for the parent to pass it back and forth. Not carrying it in their wallet.

I think this suggestion is a good one. Get a wallet for the kid and keep it in his/her backpack used to bring over his/her stuff (homework, toys, etc).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2891 posts
1601 upvotes
Ottawa
ds2chan wrote: I'm pretty sure the OP means it's a hassle for the parent to pass it back and forth. Not carrying it in their wallet.

I think this suggestion is a good one. Get a wallet for the kid and keep it in his/her backpack used to bring over his/her stuff (homework, toys, etc).
It’ seems it’s less of a hassle than handing kids back and forth. How often does an unexpected medical issue arise? It’s nice to have both parents there in ER anyway. This seems like a non issue. Is it just another thing to fight about ?
May 2, 2020
207 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote: It’ seems it’s less of a hassle than handing kids back and forth. How often does an unexpected medical issue arise? It’s nice to have both parents there in ER anyway. This seems like a non issue. Is it just another thing to fight about ?
That is exactly it. OP is trying to solve an issue that a family member and their divorced partner should be solving. They both know what they need to do, they just simply want to bicker and be petty over it from what OP is writing in the initial post.

They clearly wrote "too much stuff to carry"... I don't get it.. don't parents keep their children's OHIP card with them at all times anyway? Schools have a copy/number of the student's OHIP card just in case of an emergency. Take a photo of it, scan it, or have the kid carry a small card wallet in their bag.

If none of those are applicable here, it just reinforces how two people just want to fight over a non-issue and OP is trying to be a surrogate grandparent by trying to rescue two children having a fight over a card LOL.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5300 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
I'm the godparent and sometimes the god child comes to visit with me, so in the event of an emergency i dont always know what to do but yeah i will let them fight over it, I was just wondering since my brother in law brought it up as one day he had a doctors appointment for his kid and went but had no ohip card on him the baby momma had it, and he was wondering what the best way to do in that situation was
Hi
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2300 posts
1531 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@GoodFellaz My experience has been that as long as you have the number (a photo-copy would be better) is that any emergency visit would not be denied due to lack of a card. Staff (hospital or clinic) will also accept as additional information a health card from the parent (this shows residency). If the number they input into the system gets rejected then they will ask for payment or direct bill the parent. I say this as a coach of various teams whereby we did not carry the health cards and in most cases we only had the number and parental information. I have never seen a bill issued for treatment nor have any of the parents for the times I had to take an athlete to an emergency treatment facility.
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2485 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote: It’ seems it’s less of a hassle than handing kids back and forth. How often does an unexpected medical issue arise? It’s nice to have both parents there in ER anyway. This seems like a non issue. Is it just another thing to fight about ?
I think it's only an issue if at least one of the 2 parents is not playing nice here. If both parents are being amicable then it's a non-issue. Even if one parent forgets to give it to the other for a stay I don't think it's a big deal. If an emergency comes up I assume both parents will rush to the child's side.

Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2174 posts
1655 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
ds2chan wrote: I think it's only an issue if at least one of the 2 parents is not playing nice here. If both parents are being amicable then it's a non-issue. Even if one parent forgets to give it to the other for a stay I don't think it's a big deal. If an emergency comes up I assume both parents will rush to the child's side.
I think this could be an issue which is why I suggested both parents making sure they have they have a copy, especially if the parents have vastly differently views on medical care.

As side note, one of my kids classmates is going through this now. One parent is anti-vax/anti medical treatment 'God will save them' the other parent is aligned with modern medicine. The anti vax parent will not allow their 14 year old to get any medical treatments or the covid vacine, so took the health care card out of the kids'/other parents pack. The kid and one parent want the vaccines the other doesn't. Stupid parents are fighting and the kid is trying to figure out how to get vaccinated without the card.

I don't think it's a bad idea that both parents (and kid if old enough) have copies of important documents incase the parents get stupid with each other or cannot get ahold of each other.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2485 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: I think this could be an issue which is why I suggested both parents making sure they have they have a copy, especially if the parents have vastly differently views on medical care.

As side note, one of my kids classmates is going through this now. One parent is anti-vax/anti medical treatment 'God will save them' the other parent is aligned with modern medicine. The anti vax parent will not allow their 14 year old to get any medical treatments or the covid vacine, so took the health care card out of the kids'/other parents pack. The kid and one parent want the vaccines the other doesn't. Stupid parents are fighting and the kid is trying to figure out how to get vaccinated without the card.

I don't think it's a bad idea that both parents (and kid if old enough) have copies of important documents incase the parents get stupid with each other or cannot get ahold of each other.
That's why I said if both parents are being amicable then it's a non-issue.

That's a pretty crappy situation your kid's classmate is in there. The one parent shouldn't be hiding the child's OHIP card. Maybe the other parent can call in and ask for a replacement card?
Last edited by ds2chan on May 28th, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 2, 2018
923 posts
782 upvotes
Toronto
I would take a copy (Photocopy) for my wallet in case an emergency hospital visit came up (broken arm, etc), just tell the emerg people that the other parent will be coming in with the card as you are notifying them. If that is all i have then that is all they get, i doubt they will not treat if it is truly an emergency. I would definitely ASK and get POSSESSION of the card for any planned doctors visit, original health card period as it is NOT an emergency and it is needed for doctor reimbursement. Seeing it is NOT life and death you can be denied service, so ensure you have the card and when returning child give the card back to the primary parent.

Seeing i am terrible with organizing i would have my ex (wife) hold the documentation, transfer the card to me for regular doctors visits and meet me at the hospital for the rare emergency room visit.

For the well being of the child most parents came come to the realization to work together, unfortunately not always. Cheers.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2174 posts
1655 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
ds2chan wrote: That's why I said if both parents are being amicable then it's a non-issue.

That's a pretty crappy situation your kid's classmate is in there. The one parent shouldn't be hiding the child's OHIP card. Maybe the other parent can call in and ask for a replacement card?
I dont know what the OP BIL situation was. It's not an issue when parents work together, but when it becomes an issue, then it is a really big one. We have suggested they call for a replacement card sent to other parent, or call the dr office for the number. Not sure what will happen, but I feel for kids and parents are trying to do the right thing.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on May 29th, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10661 posts
5660 upvotes
Markham
We need stop giving opinions to the OP. Instead, giving solutions. Not everyone is the same