Shopping Discussion

Bottle Returns at the Beer Store - Do the bottles have to be cleaned?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2010 2:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada

Bottle Returns at the Beer Store - Do the bottles have to be cleaned?

Hey everyone,

So over the past 5 years, me friends and I have accumulated ~$10 worth of bottles that we would like to return. The thing is, we never washed them out, and my friend told me that they need to be.

Is this true? Will they not accept them if they are not cleaned out? (I mean, they are empty, a little dusty but that can be easily cleaned...I just don't want to waste time cleaning them out with water).

And do I just return the bottles in the cases they came from, or is there a special cart that I need? I read on the beer store website that I should use their crates/carts, but how do I get them?

Thanks!
He died for me, I live for him
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
shannn wrote: Hey everyone,

So over the past 5 years, me friends and I have accumulated ~$10 worth of bottles that we would like to return. The thing is, we never washed them out, and my friend told me that they need to be.

Is this true? Will they not accept them if they are not cleaned out? (I mean, they are empty, a little dusty but that can be easily cleaned...I just don't want to waste time cleaning them out with water).

And do I just return the bottles in the cases they came from, or is there a special cart that I need? I read on the beer store website that I should use their crates/carts, but how do I get them?

Thanks!
Last time I returned a ton of them I just brought them in in my blue box and then they loaded them up behind the counter into their crates - never washed them - they get washed and sterilised etc at the factory before reuse anyway - your quick rinse won't be enough (would you want to drink from a bottle that had just a quick rinse from its last use before they filled it?)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
There is only one reason to clean your bottles. Leave a few cases of freshly drunk bottles in a room and then after return to that room and take note of the smell.

I remember when a friend of mine was living with his dad, he left a few cases of empties in his garage. Next morning his dad said to just get rid of the bottles since they were sticking up the place. They were well off so he just put them by the curb with the garbage. Of course someone drove by and noticed the cases and took them back to the bear store. :lol: They are well off though.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
you have unfinish beer bottles :?: :?: :D
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
Thanks for the responses :D

Most of my beer is done. Don't drink too often, but over the past 5 years, we've accumulated quite a few bottles. Thought it would be a good time to return them and buy another 24, heh, that should last us a couple months

I think Sleeman's is on sale, so I'll load up on that :D
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
shannn wrote: Thanks for the responses :D

Most of my beer is done. Don't drink too often, but over the past 5 years, we've accumulated quite a few bottles. Thought it would be a good time to return them and buy another 24, heh, that should last us a couple months

I think Sleeman's is on sale, so I'll load up on that :D
Real man drink Genius :D
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1474 posts
734 upvotes
It took 5 years to accumulate 10$ worth of bottles?!!? (And with your friends?!!?!/)

You must not drink often lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
Ha ha, I think your friend was just trying to be funny! Of course you don't have to clean out the bottles!

This reminds me of a prank we used to pull back in my restaurant days whenever we hired a brand-new waitress or hostess... At the end of their first shift we'd tell them that our "Corona de-limer" was broken and so we needed them to manually remove the lime wedge from the empty Corona bottles. We'd hand them a couple straws and say "you know what to do...right?" Then we'd quickly walk away before they plucked up the courage to ask any questions. It was hilarious watching the poor girls stand there and look all bewildered wondering how they were gonna use a straw to get the lime wedge out of the bottles :twisted:
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
u0dcameron wrote: It took 5 years to accumulate 10$ worth of bottles?!!? (And with your friends?!!?!/)

You must not drink often lol.
Give him a brake, he's twelve. :cheesygri
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2007
3998 posts
608 upvotes
God's Country
shannn wrote: Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Clean them out already! :idea:
Nothing but Good Thoughts :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
You shouldn't ahve to wash them. I had a collection of beer bottles going for a fwe eyars that collected quite a bit of dust and crap.

I finally gave in a year ago and brought them in and they didn't say anything (I didn't even want to touch em).

Got my $5 :)
Jul 22, 2009
298 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
whiteflame wrote: I don't think it has to be cleaned, but I usually give them a quick rinse :)
Yup, that's what I usually do. A quick rinse is sufficient.
pintobean wrote: Ha ha, I think your friend was just trying to be funny! Of course you don't have to clean out the bottles!

This reminds me of a prank we used to pull back in my restaurant days whenever we hired a brand-new waitress or hostess... At the end of their first shift we'd tell them that our "Corona de-limer" was broken and so we needed them to manually remove the lime wedge from the empty Corona bottles. We'd hand them a couple straws and say "you know what to do...right?" Then we'd quickly walk away before they plucked up the courage to ask any questions. It was hilarious watching the poor girls stand there and look all bewildered wondering how they were gonna use a straw to get the lime wedge out of the bottles :twisted:
lolol, that's jokes. What a way to welcome someone to the job.