• Jan 27th, 2008 8:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6509 posts
358 upvotes
GT'eh
dreamaz wrote: Just got back from the Brampton store. Ordered 25 sets of faux wood (lots of windows to cover in the new home), came up to $735.xx, would have been around $1300 without the 40% off.

Thank god i waited =)

Thanks for the post OP
...DANG!...dreamaz, 25 sets of blinds for 1 house? I'm starting to picture a glass house with no bricks on the outside, and all windows?...LOL..

Good to hear you saved so much, with all that money you saved you can buy other home upgrades.

Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1236 posts
143 upvotes
Brantford
I personally picked up the Granwood fauxwood blinds for every window in our new home and love them!! I was told by many a people to get the fake wood as it won't warp over time as real wood will do. These actually look and feel like real wood with grains and everything but will last much, much longer. I believe we got them all at like 20% off as well from HD and they were reasonably priced. They also cut them to your size on the spot as well at no extra cost.
Nov 10, 2002
330 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
Sounds like a great deal. I'm going to check it out this weekend. Thanks :)
Nov 29, 2006
934 posts
276 upvotes
rs77 wrote: so are you installing these yourself? I have to get blinds as well...but i dont think i would be able to install them...any advice? or referrals of someone who does this ?
Yes. You can do it yourself, there are instructions inside the box. Quite simple. You need two people, one person holding it up for you while you are doing the screws. In fact, when I ask for quote from Mars blind for the same kind of 2" faux wood installation for 27 windows, they charge me $500 for installation.
Nov 29, 2006
934 posts
276 upvotes
Went to BouClair last night and ordered 16 2" Fauxwood blinds for $742 in which if I goto Covers, it will cost me $1002. 26% savings.

I still have another 9 windows which are 73" length with different width which there is no problems. However, BouClair only carries upto 72" length, I am 1" short for these 9 windows. Does anyone know if they make a difference if my blinds are 1" short on the bottom? If I go for BouClair for these 9 blinds, I am saving $600 compare to custom made blinds which they charge me next size lenght in 96". A waste of 23".

Any advise on this 72" length blinds for a 73" windows length?
Jan 14, 2003
436 posts
90 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
pcbc168 wrote: Went to BouClair last night and ordered 16 2" Fauxwood blinds for $742 in which if I goto Covers, it will cost me $1002. 26% savings.

I still have another 9 windows which are 73" length with different width which there is no problems. However, BouClair only carries upto 72" length, I am 1" short for these 9 windows. Does anyone know if they make a difference if my blinds are 1" short on the bottom? If I go for BouClair for these 9 blinds, I am saving $600 compare to custom made blinds which they charge me next size lenght in 96". A waste of 23".

Any advise on this 72" length blinds for a 73" windows length?
I wouldn't bother about the 1" difference as usually windows have a lining which is about that thick and light would not be able to sneak in. (which is what blinds are for, right?) :razz:

However, if you are talking about the look, then some people are picky(which include my wife) they insist that the blind is longer than the bottom of the windows, so that they have something hanging outside the frame. (She insist to cut 1 inch more than the frame) But according to what you said, you are not that type as your plan is to cut it right to the frame only, so I would say you are ok, but you know, people have different opinion on things, some other may say it is unacceptable. :cheesygri
Nov 29, 2006
934 posts
276 upvotes
Thanks for the advise.

Also, for this new house, I am paying $1700 to upgrade my casing to 3" / baseboard to 5" instead of the usual 2" casing. I definitely do not want my blinds to hang over my bottom casings.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1517 posts
47 upvotes
Maple
I picked up 7 sets last night also from the Richmond Hill location. Selection is still pretty decent, although it was hard to find some of the 45" length ones. I also checked out the location at 7/400, and they had lots also, but again, none of the small sizes (in white, at least).

Also, the location at Richmond Hill doesn't have a cutting service.. but you can buy there, and take them to the 7/400 location.
Jan 31, 2004
594 posts
70 upvotes
Woodbridge
we bought these last year on sale - excellent - no issues, easy to hang, easy to shorten (but you must have patience) and they look good. No warping/discolouring after a year of sunshine hitting them (faux wood).

The only thing I do suggest is that you make sure when they are cutting them that they don't go too short. Some of them cut slightly smaller than the size you give them (understandable considering NOTHING is square anymore - atleast in my house - great builders) and others will take upto an inch or more - so make sure when they are cutting - just before cutting remeasure and argue on the spot - no returns on cut items. Although this won't make any difference if you hang drapery panels on the sides to cover up any booboos.

Also, watch their flyers - when I bought them at 40%off the next week they went to 50% off - they only have a 2 week price adjustment policy.
Jun 3, 2004
775 posts
456 upvotes
Any pics of the faux? The faux at HD looks pretty bad IMO, but then and again I have garbage bags right now > :(

Btw, does anyone know what can I do to cover a non-perfect arch if I get these?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1387 posts
57 upvotes
London
bluegreenshxt wrote: Any pics of the faux? The faux at HD looks pretty bad IMO, but then and again I have garbage bags right now > :(
As long as they're high quality garbage bags you're doing alright :D

We got these from bouclair a year and a half or so back -- they're really great. Better than wood in my opinion -- it was a difficult install into a metal frame and we couldn't get all the required screws in place -- as these are lighter than wood it really helped.

Everyone seemed to be surprised when we told them they were fake.

Great value at regular price; 40% is super!
Apr 11, 2005
987 posts
62 upvotes
These are on sale really often, I'd say like once a month or at least every second month. Reminds me of the "40% offf custom framing this week only" at Michaels, but not quite as bad.