Automotive

[WTB] Bought a car in Quebec registered in Ontario without the saaq and owner just by given documents

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 9:20 am
[OP]
Oct 21, 2020
1 posts

Bought a car in Quebec registered in Ontario without the saaq and owner just by given documents

I bought car in quebec.. went too saaq they said I needed the owner so I called them and I could not get a hold of them. The left me receipts and registration but I was informed registered owner was deceased and current transfer tax was not paid by the person selling to me on the bill of sale. I went to Ontario and they sign over the car in my name no questions asked. With all the given documents. I dont believe the car was unregistered in quebec because seller didn't want to pay that tax. What would the outcome be of a car registered in tap provinces. Could she's fraud me of the sale and repossess the vehicle?
5 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14312 posts
8719 upvotes
Toronto
When the vehicle is registered in Ontario, it is no longer registered in Quebec.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3164 posts
1956 upvotes
Montreal
There's no transfer tax in QC, or anything to be paid by the seller.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3829 posts
2785 upvotes
GTA
AlG80500 wrote: I bought car in quebec.. went too saaq they said I needed the owner so I called them and I could not get a hold of them. The left me receipts and registration but I was informed registered owner was deceased and current transfer tax was not paid by the person selling to me on the bill of sale. I went to Ontario and they sign over the car in my name no questions asked. With all the given documents. I dont believe the car was unregistered in quebec because seller didn't want to pay that tax. What would the outcome be of a car registered in tap provinces. Could she's fraud me of the sale and repossess the vehicle?
At least she's pretty Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11905 posts
6442 upvotes
Brampton
I'm confused by the OPs actual post. Can someone explain it?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14312 posts
8719 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: I'm confused by the OPs actual post. Can someone explain it?
OP bought a car in Quebec and thinks that because the previous owner didn't go to saqq (apparently dead) so now seller which is probably relative/spouse, will attempt to get the car back via fraud. OP didn't know that in some provinces there is no transfer tax or that a vehicle can only have one valid registration.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯