Home & Garden

Bought doorbell camera only to discover previous owner ripped out the doorbell wires

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 12:27 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7203 posts
2236 upvotes
0 downvotes

Bought doorbell camera only to discover previous owner ripped out the doorbell wires

so my relative bought a house and then got the ring doorbell camera. while trying to install it, he unscrewed the doorbell and to his surprise there were no wires it was a battery operated doorbell. what does he do now? how hard is it to install new wires? does he have to break the drywall?

looks like the previous owners had a new door put in but the wires are gone. did the door installers rip out the wiring and say "oh not my problem"
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4598 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
Why not just get the battery powered doorbell cam? I think Ring makes those too.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2273 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA
If a new door was installed and the installers didn't run the wiring through it, then yes, the easy option is to use a battery powered one. I got my doors replaced last year and I had to make note to the installers to NOT cut off all the wires and reinstall the doorbells. Most of the time, the doorbell is on the side of the frame anyways, but not knowing where the wires are located is an issue, so unless you REALLY want to, you'd have to run new wires.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1540 posts
789 upvotes
We had to do the same when we installed a Google Nest. Have to make a hole in the drywall inside the house, and then wires have to be fished from the basement from the fuse box. Fortunately for us all on the same side so was not a big issue for the electrician. I had to patch, sand and paint the drywall.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7203 posts
2236 upvotes
0 downvotes
batteries may be a convenience but hard wired is still the best.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17987 posts
12680 upvotes
Markham
This may or may not be beyond your ability.

Run a new wire then....it you push some lighter aircraft cable thru there you can probably push it to where it was and then pull a new wire thru. If you're lucky, you may even find the old transformer somewhere while doing it

If you're not comfortable, there are ppl/companies out there that can do it for you for some $

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-services/ ... 1536260026
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 9, 2019
225 posts
118 upvotes
Its not that difficult if you have open access to the basement. Ive done it before by removing the interior door trim then you have access to the wires or to run. a new one.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7203 posts
2236 upvotes
0 downvotes
no access to basement, they put soundproofing and thick insulation in the basement ceiling joists and drywalled the ceiling and the basement is finished as a separate suite.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7203 posts
2236 upvotes
0 downvotes
so what does someone do in this kind of situation? there is nothing on google how to fix this?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)