Cell Phones

Bought a "Global rom" Oneplus 7 Pro, should I feel bad?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 3:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
401 posts
272 upvotes

Bought a "Global rom" Oneplus 7 Pro, should I feel bad?

I've been eyeing the Oneplus 7 Pro for a couple of months because the reviews are good and I wanted a phone without a notch because I simply cannot tolerate the notch or the hole punch or anything like that.

So anyway last Friday I got really frustrated with my Galaxy S7 and I decided to order the 7 Pro. Perhaps timing is a bit off with the T version coming out but I couldn't wait anymore. I found it from a retailer called Swiftronics and I bought it directly from them (they also sell through bestbuy and newegg at a higher price). I then quickly discovered that it's a different version from the one that can be purchased from the official Oneplus website. I didn't know this was a thing, and as far as I can tell their website makes absolutely no mention of this. I saved something like $170 at the time since I also save a lot on taxes (and now $120 because the official website is running a sale).

There are a couple of downsides. I didn't expect that I wouldn't have a warranty for one but I'm fine gambling on that. However, I'm more worried about the fact that apparently the OS was flashed on possibly by Swiftronics, and now I'm wondering if this could lead to issues in the future with updates. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse now, hoping that I had bought the phone from the official source with the official American ROM.
8 replies
Aug 17, 2018
699 posts
482 upvotes
Im guessing its similar to the ones on aliexpress so you should be ok. As for warrenty I wouldn't worry much as you probably get another phone in about 2 years anyways. Be happy with your purchase.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
401 posts
272 upvotes
Alright cool. That being said I do try to stretch out phones beyond the 2 years mark for the most part.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1335 posts
805 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
I just pulled the trigger today on a global ROM OP 7T coming from an S9+ lol

How is it going so far or still waiting for the phone...what carrier are you on?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
401 posts
272 upvotes
canucks4life wrote: I just pulled the trigger today on a global ROM OP 7T coming from an S9+ lol

How is it going so far or still waiting for the phone...what carrier are you on?
I'm on Fizz, I normally use very little data and I want to be able to change my plan at will and while they're a very flawed carrier (aren't they all), works for me.
Nov 23, 2011
666 posts
686 upvotes
West GTA
Its all the same to me, I have a Global OP7 (Non-pro) and I see no downside. I do feel like retailers should be upfront about it being a Global version though, you see Swiftronics and Amazon sellers posting them without mention.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2008
401 posts
272 upvotes
I've been using it for a bit and I'm happy with it so far. Besides the fact that all the documentation is in Chinese, it's a pretty seamless experience.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
I'd just flash your own OS to be safe.
Jun 2, 2002
488 posts
194 upvotes
Not too worry. It's not like OnePlus won't service them, they will but will charge you for it. For software issues, worst case you learn how to reflash the phone yourself, and these are one of the few flagships which still allow you full control of your own hardware. No matter what, OnePlus is a solid choice.