Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1440 posts
143 upvotes
GTA

Bought a green/leed certified home

Moving to an area in newmarket that have green and leed certified homes.

The home has a combination boiler + hydronic air handler to heat the home and provide hot water. Anyone have this setup? Thoughts? I can see they are big money to replace when they break down but appear to be super efficent and quiet.

Also has solar panels system to heat hot water. Cistern that collects rain to flush toilets and irrigation.
Images
  • 20191011_150213.jpg
  • 20191011_150217.jpg
  • 20191011_150227.jpg
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3997 posts
3018 upvotes
GTA
OMG why would you do that? Just from your description it sounds like 10x more headache vs normal house. Now you can invite Greta Thunberg for some smokeless tofu bbq.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4054 posts
1996 upvotes
Green certified with an electric water heater ... lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1440 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: Green certified with an electric water heater ... lol
It has a solar water heater plus a gas boiler.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16232 posts
17689 upvotes
Oakville
Tommy74 wrote: OMG why would you do that? Just from your description it sounds like 10x more headache vs normal house. Now you can invite Greta Thunberg for some smokeless tofu bbq.
What headache? From what? Lower energy bills?
pootza wrote: Green certified with an electric water heater ... lol
What makes you think it's electric?

OP, Pretty cool house. It's too bad the gov't doesn't make better insulated and higher efficiency homes the minimum standard. It would barely add anything to the crazy high prices we pay for homes.
I especially like collecting the rainwater to flush toilets.
It's a nice setup, hopefully it's reliable. But it's still probably cheaper than renting standard equipment like so many people do.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4054 posts
1996 upvotes
speeeeee wrote: It has a solar water heater plus a gas boiler.
engineered wrote: What makes you think it's electric?
Picture #3 shows an electric water heater
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5040 posts
4129 upvotes
pootza wrote: Picture #3 shows an electric water heater
Because it's got solar panels to power it and a gas boiler as secondary source
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1677 posts
1346 upvotes
OP you might want to use something like 6 mil poly to cover that roxul safe n sound.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5040 posts
4129 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: OMG why would you do that? Just from your description it sounds like 10x more headache vs normal house. Now you can invite Greta Thunberg for some smokeless tofu bbq.
Why is it a headache?

Do you use electric baseboard heaters, knob and tube wiring and lead pipes with appliances from the 50s because it's simpler?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1440 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
TomLafinsky wrote: OP you might want to use something like 6 mil poly to cover that roxul safe n sound.
Def. Once were done moving in, alot of things to tighten up.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10084 posts
5339 upvotes
Paris
speeeeee wrote: Def. Once were done moving in, alot of things to tighten up.
Might be vapour barrier on the other side. It’s how we did our cottage basement to r45 (propane heat).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6289 posts
3352 upvotes
Mississauga
Vapour barrier on the cold side?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1677 posts
1346 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Vapour barrier on the cold side?
Based on the pics it seems that there is a vapor barrier between the roxul and the pink batt. My point was that roxul or batt should always be covered with something. Be it drywall, plastic or whatever.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6330 posts
2835 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I admire you for a LEED house. I think if it was the standard, the present value of reduced energy consumption should pay for a lot of the additional building cost, if not exceed it. I'd go solar but the roof of my house doesn't face directly south and the previous owners' choice of concrete tile roof make it a bit difficult.

I did a housesit in an older Vancouver house that was refitted with a gas boiler for the radiators, which through heat transfer heated the hot water. Not so green but that system needs calibration and maintenance which the home owner never did which resulted in the boiler going INOP during our house sit).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1454 posts
1558 upvotes
West GTA
OP, I think that house sounds super cool. I'm pretty jealous. I do wonder if the replacement cost of the high-end technology is worth the cost savings, but just using less energy to life your life is neat too. I don't have a house anywhere near that efficient (and wouldn't unless I tore it down and built another one), but have done a few upgrades and it's definitely improved the comfort of the home, cut my energy bills, and helped out the environment a little.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4054 posts
1996 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Because it's got solar panels to power it and a gas boiler as secondary source
Does the solar produce electricity or does the solar produce hot water?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6330 posts
2835 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Solar hot water heaters make a lot of sense though our climate requires some care in design and installation so it doesn't freeze. I presume your heater uses a "coolant" or heat transferring liquid that doesn't freeze even at extreme winter temperatures?

Anyone who has a swimming pool would do well to have solar heaters.
Canada is so behind in home standard.... flushing toilet with fresh water is insane....
Lots of countries like that, where water was once plentiful bu becoming less so. Some municipalities where I am fear running out of water during a dry summer.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1440 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
thriftshopper wrote: Solar hot water heaters make a lot of sense though our climate requires some care in design and installation so it doesn't freeze. I presume your heater uses a "coolant" or heat transferring liquid that doesn't freeze even at extreme winter temperatures?

Anyone who has a swimming pool would do well to have solar heaters.

Lots of countries like that, where water was once plentiful bu becoming less so. Some municipalities where I am fear running out of water during a dry summer.
Correct. Glycol filled to ensure it doesnt freeze.