Home & Garden

Bought a house last month...do I need to have roof warranty transferred to my name?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 11:09 am
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
19 posts
4 upvotes

Bought a house last month...do I need to have roof warranty transferred to my name?

I recall my realtor telling me something about having 60 days to transfer the roofing warranty. Is this true? The previous owners of my property had GAF warranty...should I contact them? Is there a charge for this?

I also see that the previous owners had a State Farm insurance policy for roofing...is this common? Do you guys have a separate insurance for the roof? I thought my property insurance covers this...
4 replies
Sep 7, 2018
141 posts
87 upvotes
You need to get your realtor to contact the seller and get the receipt and warranty information and then yes you have 60 days to contact to transfer the roof warranty. Usually it is only allowed once, so you cannot transfer it to a second buyer.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2098 posts
1431 upvotes
SW Ontario
Roof warranty, yes talk to your realtor and get on it ... no sense questioning it as it should be part of the paperwork to purchase the home.

Seperate insurance for roof, not usually unless something special like a high end steel roof. Usually the insurance company will just want to know what the roofing material is made of, and approximately how old. They may have an extra premium to cover repairs, but this is really nothing more than just an upsell ... remember fear sells insurance.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
2389 posts
501 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
my house purchase came with a bunch of receipts for the warranty for the following: windows, shingles, driveway.
Hi