Shopping Discussion

Bought laptop off Amazon and Amazon sent me an "older" version of the laptop in the new box. Help!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2021 12:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1411 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto

Bought laptop off Amazon and Amazon sent me an "older" version of the laptop in the new box. Help!

Update: Thanks for the help and suggestions!
Last edited by awaisuk on Aug 8th, 2021 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
Someone else likely already did what you are afraid you will be accused of doing...bought new 2021 model, swapped it out for older model, and returned it to Amazon for a refund. Now you ended up with it. It sucks but what else can you do. Call up Amazon, explain what happened, return for refund. You say you have a history of buying hundreds of expensive items on Amazon before so that will definitely work in your favour.
Last edited by Kiraly on Aug 7th, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6042 posts
7442 upvotes
GTA
What suggestions do you want? You've already notified Amazon followed their instructions and shipped the laptop back. Nothing else can be done until they receive it.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
tew wrote: What suggestions do you want? You've already notified Amazon followed their instructions and shipped the laptop back. Nothing else can be done until they receive it.
Haha I missed that. Not sure what advice he's looking for. There's nothing else he can or should do other than what he's already doing: Sit and wait.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19109 posts
18964 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Help with what? You’ve already contacted Amazon CS? Otherwise just resort to RFD’s answer to everything. CHARGEBACK!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
2823 posts
3040 upvotes
I'd assume they track S/N for purchased/returned items. So hopefully they go after the person that returned that swapped out laptop.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12182 posts
3170 upvotes
--
eelw11 wrote: I'd assume they track S/N for purchased/returned items. So hopefully they go after the person that returned that swapped out laptop.
Would be hard to figure it out because it's a he said she said situation.

OP, you'd doing exactly what amazon wants you to do, no one here can give you any help other than what has been said, just wait.

They're pretty good, the last expensive item I bought was $410 from Amazon. When I received it it was obviously used (and incorrectly) and had missing parts. They switched it for a new one for me the next day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7251 posts
3392 upvotes
Something similar happened to my buddy, I don't remember the details but they offered refund or he could keep it but get 10-20% discount, something like that. In his case, it was the right model yr but they gave lower specs than what his computer was supposed to have
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1390 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
keep a copy of the return tracking number. worse case you'll need to get credit card company but i would imagine its happened before and will happen again.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3754 posts
2433 upvotes
London
just wait till it gets back to them and see if they process the refund if they give u a hassle then u email [email protected]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1002 posts
670 upvotes
Scarborough
Foe expensive items I've started to take unbox videos, for the just in case situation. It starts from the time the package is dropped at my door captured by the security camera and continues when I bring it inside to unbox.