• Jul 6th, 2020 6:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1837 posts
1368 upvotes
Brampton

Bought New house from builder

With 24 ft x 10 ft beautiful 2.5 ft high deck built but no stairs from deck is this normal or will they still add stairs to it. What are my options here. Has anyone experienced this?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2275 posts
2319 upvotes
Montréal
kopokipi wrote: With 24 ft x 10 ft beautiful 2.5 ft high deck built but no stairs from deck is this normal or will they still add stairs to it. What are my options here. Has anyone experienced this?
What do the plans say?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22290 posts
20910 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
New Build / Ontario Building Code will indeed say that there must be preventive measures taken for that high an elevation. So there should be as a minimum a railing installed. Stairs fall under a different clause ... it depends on grade etc. A deck doesn’t necessarily require stairs, but it’s certainly something desirable in most backyard situations. I would speak to the builder so you know what the site drawings say / expectation for delivery.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1368 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto
Did op add this as an option or did the builder include this? Stairs aren't mandatory at any height I thoight
JS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1837 posts
1368 upvotes
Brampton
PointsHubby wrote: New Build / Ontario Building Code will indeed say that there must be preventive measures taken for that high an elevation. So there should be as a minimum a railing installed. Stairs fall under a different clause ... it depends on grade etc. A deck doesn’t necessarily require stairs, but it’s certainly something desirable in most backyard situations. I would speak to the builder so you know what the site drawings say / expectation for delivery.
There is railing on the deck but no stairs deck is not high but can't get to back yard from my deck I will ask but was hoping for some info here
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1837 posts
1368 upvotes
Brampton
James Stonehenge wrote: Did op add this as an option or did the builder include this? Stairs aren't mandatory at any height I thoight
Deck was already there when bought.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22290 posts
20910 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
kopokipi wrote: There is railing on the deck but no stairs deck is not high but can't get to back yard from my deck I will ask but was hoping for some info here
Not unusual. Builder is covered cuz they met code by installing the railing.
You need to ask / see drawings for what is and isn’t included (stairs).

Have seen whole developments with kitchen patio doors... where an extremely small deck / balcony was installed ... and railed on the 3 exposed sides, and no stairs / access to ground. It was deemed a “temporary” deck ... and understood that the home owner would complete the installation as they saw fit after possession.

The temporary deck is literally only provided so that no one opens the back doorway and falls out!

Some people leave these small decks as is, and just add stairs.

Others integrate them into a bigger deck they build down the road.

And still others demolish the temporary deck, and do something else ... like a porch ... or a huge whole back of house wide deck.

At 12 x 10 your deck sounds far more permanent ... but again, as per OBC if the deck is railed on all exposed sides then things have met the minimum required.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11739 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
Friends of mine in Waterdown bought a new construction house and had this exact issue. No one had stairs.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1830 posts
1262 upvotes
Toronto
kopokipi wrote: There is railing on the deck but no stairs deck is not high but can't get to back yard from my deck I will ask but was hoping for some info here
If the builder has already railed in the whole deck then I think it's safe to say they aren't planning on adding stairs. However, you can easily find your own contractor to add stairs later on.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1830 posts
1262 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: At 12 x 10 your deck sounds far more permanent ... but again, as per OBC if the deck is railed on all exposed sides then things have met the minimum required.
OP's deck is 24x10' so definitely not a temporary deck.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4476 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
Yeesus just build some stairs when you own the place.

If there aren't stairs there now, and you agreed to buy the house, then there aren't stairs and you agreed to buy the house.

Now, if that deck is on the only rear exit out of the house, perhaps there is some code requirement for the exit to actually be an exit. A doorway out onto an elevated deck surrounded by railings isn't going to help granny escape a fire that has the front door blocked.

I'm no building inspector (did you hire one?) and don't know the code related to egress, but I expect there needs to be 2 points of exit off the main floor.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1837 posts
1368 upvotes
Brampton
torontotim wrote: Yeesus just build some stairs when you own the place.

If there aren't stairs there now, and you agreed to buy the house, then there aren't stairs and you agreed to buy the house.

Now, if that deck is on the only rear exit out of the house, perhaps there is some code requirement for the exit to actually be an exit. A doorway out onto an elevated deck surrounded by railings isn't going to help granny escape a fire that has the front door blocked.

I'm no building inspector (did you hire one?) and don't know the code related to egress, but I expect there needs to be 2 points of exit off the main floor.
yes i do intend to do this, reason i am asking is to save money hence RFD but thank you for Jesus