Bought an old house: recommendations for softner and boiler install

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2022 4:01 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2005
629 posts
38 upvotes

Bought an old house: recommendations for softner and boiler install

First time owning a house and a bit lost. Essentially I’m off contract with reliance renting g for $23+ tax. Been having issues with hot water running out of tap consistently. Feel reliance complete scam and they did t fix the issue. They said I need a water softner , tried to scam me into renting it without telling me it’s a contract.

Anyone e got recommendations on water heater and softeners and whom to call to install v
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2017
1141 posts
1149 upvotes
I’ve seen a few posts elsewhere about scam liane saying people need to install softeners, sounds like their new scam now people are increasingly aware of how bad water rentals are for most people.

What’s your location
[OP]
Oct 19, 2005
629 posts
38 upvotes
chris416yyz wrote: I’ve seen a few posts elsewhere about scam liane saying people need to install softeners, sounds like their new scam now people are increasingly aware of how bad water rentals are for most people.

What’s your location
On the east end (Queen and Pape) - freaking brutal. Do you have any connections on east end?
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26900 posts
6131 upvotes
Do you have hard water? If you're not sure, go get it tested. You can even go to a pool/spa store and ask them to test it. Tell them you're shopping for a hot tub and just want to know what your water hardness is coming out of the tap. If your water is hard, get a softener. If it's not, don't get one.

As for a hot water heater, figure out what you want first. Do you want gas or electric? Gas is more upfront but cheaper every month. If your furnace or existing water heater is gas, then I would go with gas. The line is already there. If not, then I would go with electric. I wouldn't bother running a new gas line just for the water heater, unless your furnace is getting old and you're thinking of switching from electric to gas (I would).

Also decide if you want tankless or not. If you're not sure, just google tankless vs tank and read what it says. The various pages will all pretty much say the same thing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)