Bought a refurb computer - no power cord

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2019 5:29 pm
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes

Bought a refurb computer - no power cord

I bought a refurb computer and it came with no power cord - didn't realize. The vendor (nameless) said that they didn't come with the computers

Just curious - where WOULD I get a HP ELITE 600 G1 power cord anyway?

Do people buy refurb desktops with no power cord, as a norm?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2544 posts
1327 upvotes
London
its a very common cable. u can get them off amazon. or just go to any computer store they will have one for a couple bucks. could also try thrift stores they will probably have a wall set up with ton of wires and there will probably be tons of them.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18888 posts
27194 upvotes
ONTARIO
What form factor is it? The tower, the small, or the mini version? If it's the tower and has a regular power supply inside and you really do only need a simple power cord like the picture below, you should be able to get one dirt cheap. Got an old PC laying around? Take it from there.
However if you have the mini version and what you're really missing is the external power supply adapter (like a laptop uses), well that is different.

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2206 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Looks like it's actually called the HP EliteDesk 600 G1 (or more commonly the ProDesk 600 G1), but they appear to use standard ATX power supplies as above. Any computer shop will have them for sale, or you can order from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-PXT1 ... 000067SLV/

I wouldn't say that it's unusual to buy a used computer without the power cord, but it can be annoying if you don't have a spare one on hand.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2060 posts
1980 upvotes
starlamp wrote: Do people buy refurb desktops with no power cord, as a norm?
no it's not norm, it should be included unless indicated prior to purchase.
Dec 30, 2016
314 posts
265 upvotes
Just go to a thrift store and spend $2
Jul 15, 2003
726 posts
254 upvotes
Ottawa
Any reputable computer store has dozens of these cords sitting around. There is no excuse to not include one with a refurb desktop.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8281 posts
2036 upvotes
Mississauga
They should just give you one. That being said I probably have about 10 extras laying around they're so common.

Was it a Nintendo branded PC?
Jun 4, 2018
391 posts
276 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
x3fann wrote: Just go to a thrift store and spend $2
Or ask the tech dept at Staples or Best buy and they would probably give you one for free.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12101 posts
6990 upvotes
Markham
Put down your location....nearest intersection to home and work. I'm sure a RFD'er very close to you can give you one for free as they are so standard.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1040 posts
396 upvotes
North of Toronto
Canada Computers or any computer store near you should have it. Thrift stores probably have it too. Maybe even pawn shops. Its a super common cable. Your friends may even have extras.
Jul 15, 2003
726 posts
254 upvotes
Ottawa
GhostBusters wrote: Your friends may even have extras.
Very true. If you have any friends that you would consider techies then they probably have a drawer full of power cables.

I still contend that they have no excuse not to give you one for free. You should tell us the company that you bought it from - not giving a power cable is an unacceptable practice.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2787 posts
2051 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
starlamp wrote: I bought a refurb computer and it came with no power cord - didn't realize. The vendor (nameless) said that they didn't come with the computers

Just curious - where WOULD I get a HP ELITE 600 G1 power cord anyway?

Do people buy refurb desktops with no power cord, as a norm?
Definitely no justification for the computer to come without a power cord, unless this is specified in the product detail listing or otherwise made available to you before purchase. It's a reasonable expectation that something electric will come with an electric cable.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: What form factor is it? The tower, the small, or the mini version? If it's the tower and has a regular power supply inside and you really do only need a simple power cord like the picture below, you should be able to get one dirt cheap. Got an old PC laying around? Take it from there.
However if you have the mini version and what you're really missing is the external power supply adapter (like a laptop uses), well that is different.

It was the SFF
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Google is your friend ...
:facepalm:
Are you the person who downvotes every thread on RFD? If you don't want to help, just find another thread. This is a forum.
Last edited by starlamp on May 24th, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes
rodenti wrote: Very true. If you have any friends that you would consider techies then they probably have a drawer full of power cables.

I still contend that they have no excuse not to give you one for free. You should tell us the company that you bought it from - not giving a power cable is an unacceptable practice.
Thanks @rodenti @ALLCAPS & ALL OF YA yo (except one)

I was pretty p@@@ed off when I received it - I wanted and needed to set it up and was counting on it. There was more but I don't want to talk about it.

And to hear that it is common is now another :facepalm: as it is a computer store...

I guess us BC customers are not important enough.

Anyway the owner has agreed to take this and another problem device back, so I guess that's fair enough. It's been a huge inconvenience for me, but I guess he's at least taking it back.

That said, I wasted $40 to ship it here, plus time and waiting for the computer I needed to do some other projects with only to not be able to use either. Talking about it just reminds me how upsetting this was.

**** I'm over this whole thing, it's been a big waste of time & won't be trusting RFD shills again,

Thanks, folks, for the advice.
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
You should return it. It cannot be used anyway
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
Sometimes people are claiming about a not-working PC when they did not plug in ever
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!