• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 7:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9656 posts
1112 upvotes

Bought a rotten watermelon from Costco

Bought a huge watermelon at Costco last weekend, has been keeping it on the kitchen floor. I was going to cut it open and notice it is already rotten. Wonder if I can/should bring it back for refund. It is so big and smelly now though....
Last edited by rdx on Jul 30th, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
I would.

EDIT: Wait... how long ago did you buy it?
It takes quite a while for it to become "big and smelly"
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Nov 29, 2019
156 posts
657 upvotes
I've seen people returning watermelons before (dripping all over the floor from his plastic bag while waiting in the line). Personally I wouldn't want to make a trip to Costco just to return something that costs $6.99. But if you are planning to do your weekly shop at Costco today, I'd say go return it... but emphasis on TODAY due to the rotten smell and flies it will attract,, unless you have a huge fridge space to stole it until your next Costco trip.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9656 posts
1112 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I would.

Like I said, I bought it last weekend.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1039 posts
291 upvotes
how much is your time worth?

Seriously.. Even the beloved Costco isnt perfect. Sometimes a piece of food will be off. ITS FOOD. ITS PERISHABLE

I wouldnt wait in line to return it to Costco even during normal times. In the time of Covid No way

Dont @ me about the principal either. common sense trumps $6.99 in this case
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2769 posts
4518 upvotes
Toronto
superizzy wrote: how much is your time worth?

Seriously.. Even the beloved Costco isnt perfect. Sometimes a piece of food will be off. ITS FOOD. ITS PERISHABLE

I wouldnt wait in line to return it to Costco even during normal times. In the time of Covid No way

Dont @ me about the principal either. common sense trumps $6.99 in this case
+1. Sucks to lose $6.99 - a watermelon should not go bad in a week. But having to find a place to store the rotten fruit, drive to Costco, line up, explain what happened, I'd just write it off and move on.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I would.

Hey, sometimes things are half-rotten when you buy it but you don't know it. Maybe it was the last of the previous batch, or wasn't kept fresh for some reason.

I've bought many items from costco (sweet potatoes, avocados, packaged cauliflower rice) that are rotten the next day. For certain things (sweet potatoes) I check them more diligently before picking an item, and others (fresh riced cauliflower) I just skip altogether.

I did notice that for a couple months at the end of 2019, my sweet potatoes were getting moldy within a few days after bringing them home, even with diligent checking for soft spots etc when purchasing. And then those sweet potatotes were unavailable for at least 3-4 months afterwards. Makes me wonder if the producer had a QA problem and it got taken off the shelves.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Edited out as there is no proper reasoning to back up previous statement.
Last edited by Terabithia on Jul 31st, 2020 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Kiraly wrote: The temperature is definitely not higher on the floor. Heat rises, remember.
You are right. I have edited that out..

but floor is def not a good place to store groceries - based on the real experience of my family

Never bothered to think about why before but I'll try to research it out.
Last edited by Terabithia on Jul 31st, 2020 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1050 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
Same, got a watermelon that had a small crack at the tip. Didn’t notice it when I bought it.
It probably had that crack and was already rotting in the store as I went to cut it the same day and was already rotten.
It was for 6.99$ too, not worth the time to return tho.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Terabithia wrote: Okay I have edited that out..

but floor is def not a good place to store groceries - based on the experience of my family

No idea as to why..
Why would you advocate something you don’t fully understand?! Come on! The watermelon rind if all in tact should be impervious to any bacteria or germs. If you have pests that’s another story but I don’t see why the floor is any worse than say a table or countertop provided you clean your floors on a fairly regular basis.

I recently read an amazon review where a buyer said they hadn’t received the product yet so they replied they didn’t know the answer to the question. lolwut!?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2991 upvotes
i see those idiots posting on Amazon too. It's like some of them dont even use the product then outright say they dont know to a question asked by a prospective buyer.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Supercooled wrote: Why would you advocate something you don’t fully understand?! Come on! The watermelon rind if all in tact should be impervious to any bacteria or germs. If you have pests that’s another story but I don’t see why the floor is any worse than say a table or countertop provided you clean your floors on a fairly regular basis.

I recently read an amazon review where a buyer said they hadn’t received the product yet so they replied they didn’t know the answer to the question. lolwut!?
I admit I don't have scientific evidence. but I was only sharing my true experience after all (in fact it is a piece of advice amongst some older people when I grew up)

I may come back after some research to support it, or just dismiss it as I can't find no real explanation

And your second paragraph is irrelevant.

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2549 posts
1655 upvotes
London
Terabithia wrote:
Please don't keep groceries on the floor.

Easier to rot than on a well ventilated higher surface based on my experience.
Terabithia wrote: I admit I don't have scientific evidence. but I was only sharing my true experience after all (in fact it is a piece of advice amongst some older people when I grew up)

I may come back after some research to support it, or just dismiss it as I can't find no real explanation
Where do you think they are grown? On a table?
They are transported in bins, inside a truck and then stored in those bins in the grocery store. That's hardy a well ventilated situation.
There is no reason a table/countertop is any more ventilated than a floor.
A corner of a counter may even be worse than an open are of floor.

I'll agree that keeping some items cooler, and such that high humidity won't degrade them is beneficial.
Items such as onions and potatoes are in ventilated bags for a reason.

Apply some reasoning to "procedures" rather than just making blanket statements.
Adjust to the situation.
There are many habits that may have a basis in truth, but people lose track of the reason.
Then it is just parroted.
badOne wrote: i see those idiots posting on Amazon too. It's like some of them dont even use the product then outright say they dont know to a question asked by a prospective buyer.
It's a side affect of the Amazon rating system.
People ask questions and an email gets sent to previous buyers.
I've received them and ignore them.
Some idiots feel the need to just respond with "I don't know", because they don't understand how it works, thinking they got this special email and it is polite to respond.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9656 posts
1112 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Cost you $6.99 just to drive there. Never mind waiting in the returns line.
Was thinking the same. I wouldn't spend $5+ gas driving there just for the return of a $6.99 watermelon. So, I went there because I had to do grocery shopping before the long weekend, and I drove by the return line to check out first. If I saw a long line, I wouldn't wait. Luckily, there were only one person in front of me on the return line. So, done in 5 minutes, then went on shopping at Costco. Happy Friday everyone :)
May 28, 2012
11861 posts
4450 upvotes
Saskatoon
The watermelons from Costco have been terrific, but you have to be careful picking one out...you never know if they've been flung around by other customers. At least Costco keeps theirs inside...Superstore and Independent used to have bins of watermelons baking in the hot sun by the entrance. The ideal thing to do is to chop up the watermelon the day you buy it and put it into a produce keeper (I use Rubbermaid Freshworks)...or at least cut it in half and refrigerate. I bought one from Costco on Tuesday and cut it up the same day and one part was already over ripe - if I left it out for a few days, no doubt it would be inedible.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1700 posts
744 upvotes
GTA
Honestly if you want the $7 back go for it...

I returned these nasty whole wheat jane chicken strips once for $14.99. They were absolutely disgusting. Couldn't even eat them. So don't feel bad!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)