Automotive

Bought a used car, private sale. How do I get it home?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2016 2:57 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
When I bought my car, the seller and I met up at the insurance place, filled out the paper work, then he drove the car to my place and I drove him back home simple.
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
i meet the seller at the MTO office as some closes at 7 or 8. transfer there and give seller ride home. easy peasy. well, if those hours works for both of you. as for insurance call that day or the day before and they'll set it all up
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
I had that issue before, ask a dealer to do it for you it would be cheaper that towing
Nov 26, 2015
887 posts
671 upvotes
Ontario
Bought my car. Got a buddy's "service" plates to transfer the car to my garage where it will sit until registration.

Seller was okay to deliver the car though but didn't want the hassle.
Jan 14, 2012
391 posts
104 upvotes
Oshawa
Etabol wrote: Bought my car. Got a buddy's "service" plates to transfer the car to my garage where it will sit until registration.

Seller was okay to deliver the car though but didn't want the hassle.
If I buy a car from a seller and its branded AS IS without safety. Do I have to safety it myself to be able to drive it?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
3129 posts
1411 upvotes
Maple
Simple,

he drops it off and you drive him home in another vehicle. If they wont, its not worth dealing with them.
Nov 26, 2015
887 posts
671 upvotes
Ontario
Supperfly wrote: If I buy a car from a seller and its branded AS IS without safety. Do I have to safety it myself to be able to drive it?
A car must pass safety when there is a transfer of ownership. If it does not, you will not be able to legally get plates for it, hence drive it. A safety also has an expiry of about 3months i think. If it does not come with a safety not yet expired than yes you will need to bring it into an authorized shop to get it fixed and safety.

You can get plates for it but you can only get a 10 day temp sticker for you to get the safety. During the safety if the car fails something, those things needs to fixed.

As is cars if in bad condition likely will fail or will have alot of repair work needed. Just be cautious though it is not always the case.

Also a safety does NOT guarantee no defects. There is a minimum set of criterias it just needs to pass. All other issues can still be present.
Jan 14, 2012
391 posts
104 upvotes
Oshawa
So technically one cannot sell a car AS-IS if it cant pass safety because there is no way you can transfer ownership and sell the car correct?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Etabol wrote: A car must pass safety when there is a transfer of ownership. If it does not, you will not be able to legally get plates for it, hence drive it. A safety also has an expiry of about 3months i think. If it does not come with a safety not yet expired than yes you will need to bring it into an authorized shop to get it fixed and safety.

You can get plates for it but you can only get a 10 day temp sticker for you to get the safety. During the safety if the car fails something, those things needs to fixed.

As is cars if in bad condition likely will fail or will have alot of repair work needed. Just be cautious though it is not always the case.

Also a safety does NOT guarantee no defects. There is a minimum set of criterias it just needs to pass. All other issues can still be present.
36 days
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Supperfly wrote: So technically one cannot sell a car AS-IS if it cant pass safety because there is no way you can transfer ownership and sell the car correct?
If the car is sold AS IS,then it's the buyers responsibility to get the safety certificate.
Mar 5, 2016
156 posts
62 upvotes
From what I recall there is actually a grace period for registering plates. I believe this is 6 days from the time of purchase. Give the MTO a call. As long as the vehicle is the same class (passenger vehicle blue letters/ truck black letters) there isnt a problem in swapping over the plates.
Jan 14, 2012
391 posts
104 upvotes
Oshawa
shoppingkart wrote: If the car is sold AS IS,then it's the buyers responsibility to get the safety certificate.
But how does that work? If I buy a car as is, i have to take it from him for a safety without ownership papers, since we cant transfer ownership without papers?
Jan 14, 2012
391 posts
104 upvotes
Oshawa
I mean he wont give me the car without transfer of ownership even if i pay because he is still liable for the vehicle?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Supperfly wrote: But how does that work? If I buy a car as is, i have to take it from him for a safety without ownership papers, since we cant transfer ownership without papers?
You can buy/transfer ownership without safety and get temporarily licence plate, then get the safety.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
er34er34 wrote: Insure it, register it, get the plates, go to seller's place and install plates, drive it home. C'mon.
Yeah! What this guy said.

Inbetween there... If you don't have a safety certificate or e-test... You can get a temporary permit so you can drive it to the shop to get work done.

Would be more smooth if the seller an take it to your shop to have the etest and cert done... That way you can just ask the seller to meet you @ a MTO office. You can do all the paper work in one shot this way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Etabol wrote: I am going to buy a used car from kijjji. Private sale so no temp plates or dealer plates etc.

The law requires seller to remove their plates after sale. The law says using plates not registered to that car is not allowed.

So once I pay the seller and get all the ownership docs etc. How do I get it home?

I will be transferring my current plates on my old car to the new one. Also what to do for insurance?

I called my insurance and it said office is closed. Times are 9-6pm. I called at 1pm. Must be closed for lunch. My old car will be sold to a friend or be scrapped.

I am in Ontario. Can anybody share some experience thanks.
If you have CAA call them to tow the car.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family