PC & Video Games

Bought Xbox One X for XMAS gift and have questions regarding Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 1:21 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2006
951 posts
354 upvotes
Coquitlam

Bought Xbox One X for XMAS gift and have questions regarding Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold?

I am new to gaming and just bought a Xbox One X for our family of 4 with 2 older teenagers for a Christmas gift. I am a little confused at what the best option is price wise and features and games wise for the subscription services Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold?

We are not hard core gamers but just casual gamers that may play 2 to 5 hours per week. As part of our Christmas present I purchased Tom Clancy’s The Division but just noticed the box indicates “requires internet” so I think it will require Xbox Live Gold to play the game but I am not sure.

Is there any subscription I should buy between now and Christmas so that we are ready to play games on Christmas or shall I wait for the possible boxing day sales that typically seem to start Christmas eve or even earlier? I believe our Xbox One X comes with a one month trial of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and a 14 day trial of Xbox Live Gold so is that all we will need for Christmas day? From what I can see perhaps the games included with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is all the games I will need?

Mobilesyrup in July 2019 had this article ........“In the past, Microsoft has offered a $1 CAD deal for users who sign up to try Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Now, with a new system in place, users who sign up for that deal will get the remaining years, month or days of Xbox Live Gold on their account converted to Game Pass Ultimate for the cost of that single dollar. For example, if the customer has one year left of Xbox Live Gold and buys Game Pass Ultimate for $1, they’ll get a full year of the service for $1. Xbox Live Gold costs $69.99, and Game Pass Ultimate regularly costs $49.99 plus tax for three months. By subtracting the $70.99 (Xbox Live Gold’s $69.99 +$1 for Game Pass) from the yearly Game Pass Ultimate cost, which is $225.95, you save $154.96 per year.” Is this something I can still do now?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1019 posts
290 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Here is a detailed thread. I did the sign up a few months ago so not sure if the way I did it works anymore. Best to ask in that thread....
It is the best deal in gaming right now if you can extend your Live to Ultimate for $1 though.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4560 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
SPACEMANRICK wrote: I am new to gaming and just bought a Xbox One X for our family of 4 with 2 older teenagers for a Christmas gift. I am a little confused at what the best option is price wise and features and games wise for the subscription services Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold?

We are not hard core gamers but just casual gamers that may play 2 to 5 hours per week. As part of our Christmas present I purchased Tom Clancy’s The Division but just noticed the box indicates “requires internet” so I think it will require Xbox Live Gold to play the game but I am not sure.

Is there any subscription I should buy between now and Christmas so that we are ready to play games on Christmas or shall I wait for the possible boxing day sales that typically seem to start Christmas eve or even earlier? I believe our Xbox One X comes with a one month trial of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and a 14 day trial of Xbox Live Gold so is that all we will need for Christmas day? From what I can see perhaps the games included with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is all the games I will need?

Mobilesyrup in July 2019 had this article ........“In the past, Microsoft has offered a $1 CAD deal for users who sign up to try Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Now, with a new system in place, users who sign up for that deal will get the remaining years, month or days of Xbox Live Gold on their account converted to Game Pass Ultimate for the cost of that single dollar. For example, if the customer has one year left of Xbox Live Gold and buys Game Pass Ultimate for $1, they’ll get a full year of the service for $1. Xbox Live Gold costs $69.99, and Game Pass Ultimate regularly costs $49.99 plus tax for three months. By subtracting the $70.99 (Xbox Live Gold’s $69.99 +$1 for Game Pass) from the yearly Game Pass Ultimate cost, which is $225.95, you save $154.96 per year.” Is this something I can still do now?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Generally, you only need Xbox Live if you intend to play online multiplayer with or against other players. Games like The Division require internet, but do not require XBox Live to run.
Just to clarify, there are several subscription services available:
- Xbox Live allows you to play online multiplayer/online co-op. Xbox Live also gives you 2 free Xbox One Games and 2 free Xbox 360 games each month
- Game Pass is the game subscriptions service. It offers up a large number of games you can download and play
- Game Pass Ultimate combines Xbox Live and Game Pass into one service, and also allows you to play certain Game Pass games on PC as well

You'll also want to make sure you've got a large (or unlimited) download cap... Games are huge, and with Game Pass, you have to download the game to your console... it doesn't stream the game like Google Stadia (or Netflix)

The Division is currently available with Game Pass... But if you're talking about The Division 2, then that's not in Game Pass (yet) .

There's a deal where if you already have active Xbox Live subscription, then activating Game Pass via a 1 month for $1 or 3 months for $1 or whatever deal will upgrade all of those months or years of Live to "Game Pass Ultimate". This is only for those who are not currently Game Pass subscribers. Not sure if it's still available but there's a huge thread about it in the Hot Deals forum.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2006
951 posts
354 upvotes
Coquitlam
M1GOmigs wrote: Generally, you only need Xbox Live if you intend to play online multiplayer with or against other players. Games like The Division require internet, but do not require XBox Live to run.
Just to clarify, there are several subscription services available:
- Xbox Live allows you to play online multiplayer/online co-op. Xbox Live also gives you 2 free Xbox One Games and 2 free Xbox 360 games each month
- Game Pass is the game subscriptions service. It offers up a large number of games you can download and play
- Game Pass Ultimate combines Xbox Live and Game Pass into one service, and also allows you to play certain Game Pass games on PC as well

You'll also want to make sure you've got a large (or unlimited) download cap... Games are huge, and with Game Pass, you have to download the game to your console... it doesn't stream the game like Google Stadia (or Netflix)

The Division is currently available with Game Pass... But if you're talking about The Division 2, then that's not in Game Pass (yet) .

There's a deal where if you already have active Xbox Live subscription, then activating Game Pass via a 1 month for $1 or 3 months for $1 or whatever deal will upgrade all of those months or years of Live to "Game Pass Ultimate". This is only for those who are not currently Game Pass subscribers. Not sure if it's still available but there's a huge thread about it in the Hot Deals forum.
Wow thank you M1GOmigs for the detailed explanation!

It looks like if I just want to play the games on Game Pass and don't want to play online against other players I will only need Xbox Game Pass and not Xbox Live. I have an unlimited WIFI and internet cap so it should be no problem downloading the games to the Xbox One X 1TB hard drive.

I purchased The Division 2 for the Xbox One. So just to confirm if I am not playing online against other players all I need is WIFI to the Xbox One to play the game and not the Xbox Live?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2393 posts
1017 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SPACEMANRICK wrote: Wow thank you M1GOmigs for the detailed explanation!

It looks like if I just want to play the games on Game Pass and don't want to play online against other players I will only need Xbox Game Pass and not Xbox Live. I have an unlimited WIFI and internet cap so it should be no problem downloading the games to the Xbox One X 1TB hard drive.

I purchased The Division 2 for the Xbox One. So just to confirm if I am not playing online against other players all I need is WIFI to the Xbox One to play the game and not the Xbox Live?
yes.
also, something that wasn't said, the GPU subscription is 3 times (or 4 times) pricier than Live Gold so the deal is subscribe to Live Gold for 3 years and use the promo that enables you to convert (at par) your Live Gold into GPU which would mean, 3 years of Live Gold gets you 3 years of GPU for the price of 3 years of Live Gold

Top