• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 9:58 am
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes

Box crytpor - dead

Deal dead.
Last edited by ephdub on May 28th, 2021 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
25 replies
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Deal dead.
Last edited by ephdub on May 28th, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1544 posts
1844 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I've looked into this before but depending on your use case you may be able to do this for free using software like Duplicati. I personally backup my NAS to AWS and use the Synology encryption feature to encrypt before transit.

But I guess if you don't want to DIY this solution would be fine. You just have to trust the company that they are really doing what they say. But I am sure they have done independent audits?
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited
Last edited by ephdub on Jul 15th, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 2, 2011
122 posts
134 upvotes
Markham, ON
FYI - just signed up for CyberGhost VPN service at $2~ per month (billed every 3 years) and it came with a one year free license key for Boxcryptor
Don't spend two dollars on drying clean a shirt. Donate it to the Salvation Army instead. They'll clean it and put it on a hanger. Next morning, buy it back for seventy-five cents.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited
Last edited by ephdub on Jul 15th, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited
Jan 25, 2008
42 posts
36 upvotes
If you have a bit of know-how with command lines, I highly recommend Rclone. It's OSS built for managing files in cloud providers. It's cross platform, can do encryption on the fly (with your key!), can mount providers as a letter drive and can even act as a DLNA server hosting files from the cloud provider of your choice.
Feb 14, 2006
858 posts
996 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
ephdub wrote: Cryptomator is the main competitor. It’s open source however the iOS version is closed and proprietary. It also doesn’t receive as much updates.

Truecrypt, cryptfs, veracrypt, etc… was all under consideration but ultimately, ease of integration, simplicity, and constant updates made me choose Boxcryptor over the others.

Boxcryptor is normally not on sale. This was a code that their sales team gave me to give out.
Its $13 on google play, or you can buy a licence key for €9.99/about $15CAD through f-droid. On their /android page. Strange it's cheaper through google, usually fdroid available apps (found on github) are substantially cheaper or free.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1160 posts
1016 upvotes
ephdub wrote: Yup. They have been audited before. I would love to choose FOSS alternatives.

I lack the time, and knowledge to hunker down, and set up my own shit. Priorities...

If I had the time, and knowledge, I'd implement:
Bitwarden (self hosted), Pihole + unbound, my own email server, and my own cloud services (nextcloud).

There's obviously "trust" in those companies, since I'm willing to give them my "keys to the kingdom".

I'm choosing the automated, non-DIY version so it's seamless and constantly up to date.
I'm using Pi-Hole + Cloudflared, both running on Docker containers on my Synology, + Bitwarden. I'm still considering Boxcryptor though so thanks for the code. Out of curiousity, why self-hosted for Bitwarden? I can appreciate the idea of keeping everything local but the idea that your password database could go up in a fire or out the door with a break-in scares the beezebus out of me.
May 1, 2017
57 posts
93 upvotes
I was using it before, replaced by the simple Safe in OneDrive.
Feb 14, 2006
858 posts
996 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Tapout123 wrote: I'm using Pi-Hole + Cloudflared, both running on Docker containers on my Synology, + Bitwarden. I'm still considering Boxcryptor though so thanks for the code. Out of curiousity, why self-hosted for Bitwarden? I can appreciate the idea of keeping everything local but the idea that your password database could go up in a fire or out the door with a break-in scares the beezebus out of me.
It's encrypted so both a break-in at home/vps, or data breach on a remote sever/paid version shouldn't be an issue. I know when I looked into it the self hosted version was more feature packed like paid commercial. Also it's super easy to trust yourself, migrate anywhere anytime, monitor whos looking around the domain and also who can look, and easily remove everything from the net if you are your host by disconnecting a cable
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1160 posts
1016 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: It's encrypted so both a break-in at home/vps, or data breach on a remote sever/paid version shouldn't be an issue. I know when I looked into it the self hosted version was more feature packed like paid commercial. Also it's super easy to trust yourself, migrate anywhere anytime, monitor whos looking around the domain and also who can look, and easily remove everything from the net if you are your host by disconnecting a cable
I have no qualms about the security of the database, I'm more concerned about how it could literally be destroyed, corrupted or stolen. Can you back it up to the cloud (encrypted of course)?
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited.
Last edited by ephdub on Jul 15th, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited
Last edited by ephdub on Jul 15th, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
260 posts
83 upvotes
Edited
Last edited by ephdub on Jul 15th, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.