Shopping Discussion

Box was factory sealed, but item's serial number didn't match the serial number on the box.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 1:53 am
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
422 posts
550 upvotes

Box was factory sealed, but item's serial number didn't match the serial number on the box.

Something really weird happened today, and I thought maybe other RFDers had come across this.

I got a Logitech mouse from Staples.ca. Decide to return it in store and get a different model. The box was factory sealed, and I hadn't opened it. At the store, they opened the box up to check the item, and they found that the serial number on the mouse didn't match the one on the box. The manager got called over, and he grilled me like I was a criminal. I get why, but it was still very embarassing. Luckily, the guy who opened up the box vouched that the box was still factory sealed when he opened it up to check.

I did notice when I got the item, that one of the round factory stickers was slightly peeling away and looked dirty, but there was no way the box could be opened even if that one sticker was taken off as the other 3 stickers were in perfect condition. How is possible that what happened today happened?

Update: I just checked the serial number on the different Logitech model that I got instead. It DOES NOT match the serial number on the box. This box was perfectly factory sealed before I opened it.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2076 posts
738 upvotes
Edmonton
It’s normal. I also have a Logitech mouse. The serial numbers on the box and inside the mouse are different, presumably to avoid warranty fraud or something. I was asked for two serial numbers while registering the product.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2015
422 posts
550 upvotes
tablo13 wrote: It’s normal. I also have a Logitech mouse. The serial numbers on the box and inside the mouse are different, presumably to avoid warranty fraud or something. I was asked for two serial numbers while registering the product.
Staples' employees need to get educated on this stuff. All that drama from them today over nothing.
Oct 18, 2006
136 posts
50 upvotes
BC
Don't get why they opened the item up if it was still brand new in box and factory sealed.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1222 posts
163 upvotes
M4W 1J6
Was guessing it was Logitech when I read the title. Their serial numbers never match.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5083 posts
1039 upvotes
Burlington
JOEBRONIE77 wrote: Don't get why they opened the item up if it was still brand new in box and factory sealed.
People have been known to replace the item with something else (i.e. a brick) and reseal the package.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21084 posts
5743 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I've also had weird crap happen at Staples, such as a factory sealed piece of software with NO CD in the box. Or factory sealed hardware that is damaged or smashed in the box.
tablo13 wrote: It’s normal. I also have a Logitech mouse. The serial numbers on the box and inside the mouse are different, presumably to avoid warranty fraud or something. I was asked for two serial numbers while registering the product.
Good to know.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
JOEBRONIE77 wrote: Don't get why they opened the item up if it was still brand new in box and factory sealed.
Heat shrink machines are cheap.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.