Careers

Boxing Day 2020 - Do we get Monday off instead?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2020 8:28 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 16, 2011
911 posts
502 upvotes

Boxing Day 2020 - Do we get Monday off instead?

Since boxing day lands on a Saturday this year does that mean we get the Monday off instead? I know this is not the same for everyone but I assume there must be a general consensus.

EDIT : I am in Ontario
9 replies
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
jronald wrote: Since boxing day lands on a Saturday this year does that mean we get the Monday off instead? I know this is not the same for everyone but I assume there must be a general consensus.

EDIT : I am in Ontario
Goverment and most banks yes .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
7083 posts
1785 upvotes
Toronto
jronald wrote: Since boxing day lands on a Saturday this year does that mean we get the Monday off instead? I know this is not the same for everyone but I assume there must be a general consensus.

EDIT : I am in Ontario
Ontario, Yes Monday is stat since Boxing Day fall on a weekend.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1501 posts
1755 upvotes
BC
jronald wrote: Since boxing day lands on a Saturday this year does that mean we get the Monday off instead? I know this is not the same for everyone but I assume there must be a general consensus.
EDIT : I am in Ontario
Believe it or not, but only in Ontario is Boxing Day an actual Statutory Holiday. In the Rest of Canada it is what's in your Employment Agreement that states whether or not you get a holiday. Government union contracts include Boxing Day as one of their Statutory Holidays.

If it falls on a weekend, you get the day off on your next regular work day.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 16, 2011
911 posts
502 upvotes
Thanks for the answers everyone. Work made it hard to find out but it looks like everyone here who said we get Monday off is correct.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4318 posts
3095 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote: Believe it or not, but only in Ontario is Boxing Day an actual Statutory Holiday. In the Rest of Canada it is what's in your Employment Agreement that states whether or not you get a holiday. Government union contracts include Boxing Day as one of their Statutory Holidays.

If it falls on a weekend, you get the day off on your next regular work day.
I had no idea, interesting and thanks for sharing.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1427 posts
1008 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm from the province of Quebec and because Boxing Day occurs on Saturday this year, we are given Monday off because of it in our work calendar (that being said, where I work we are closed until January 4 and we generally don't work from Christmas Day to January 1).

Also in Quebec, Boxing Day isn't recognized as a statutory holiday but in the places that I've worked for the last 25 years or so, I've always gotten Boxing Day off (not by my choice).

https://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/leaves-an ... index.html
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 14, 2004
9619 posts
691 upvotes
Markham
WetCoastGuy wrote: Believe it or not, but only in Ontario is Boxing Day an actual Statutory Holiday. In the Rest of Canada it is what's in your Employment Agreement that states whether or not you get a holiday. Government union contracts include Boxing Day as one of their Statutory Holidays.

If it falls on a weekend, you get the day off on your next regular work day.
Now to make it more fun, the August Civic Holiday is not a statutory holiday in Ontario, given the name it's a civic holiday. Most employers seem to give it, but I've had one employer in the past that suddenly realized it wasn't required and stopped providing Civic Holiday off.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1032 posts
589 upvotes
London, On
Hairball wrote: Now to make it more fun, the August Civic Holiday is not a statutory holiday in Ontario, given the name it's a civic holiday. Most employers seem to give it, but I've had one employer in the past that suddenly realized it wasn't required and stopped providing Civic Holiday off.
Family Day in Ontario also isn't a stat for federally regulated industries unless specified in a company policy or collective agreement. At my workplace we have to use a sick day or banked overtime if we want pay for it. Interestingly, we also don't get Remembrance Day even though we are federally regulated. But we get Ontario Civic Day. Each November, the discussion comes up that we should get Nov 11, and management says "OK, do you want to give up Civic day in exchange?" No one ever wants to go for that. Honouring the veterans is only important until it might cost a summer long weekend I guess.

Top