• Jan 4th, 2020 11:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1636 posts
1028 upvotes

Is Boxing Day dead?

Since BLACK FRIDAY has become SO HUGE over the last 8 years or so, is Boxing Day now irrelevant and are stores pulling out all the stops for BLACK FRIDAY leaving not much for Boxing Day ?

With the exception of Christmas related stock being discounted I fear that Boxing Day is dead..

What say you guys ? Interested in your thoughts...
Last edited by Curiosity on Dec 15th, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
What dancing banana ?
129 replies
Dec 9, 2019
112 posts
194 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
The best deals I've ever found were January 1st deals. At least on electronics. Clearance of stuff of Christmas surplus are often insanely priced on that day (like SSDs).

Black Friday and Boxing Day were never really big to begin with in Canada. Christmas specials used to be bigger though. They savings started to shift towards Black Friday imo.
Dec 14, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
yea, black friday and cyber monday seems better. only advantage of boxing day is that more people can shop since it's a holiday
Dec 8, 2009
565 posts
555 upvotes
It has it's own section on here still and pretty much every store in Canada will participate, so I'd say no.

It's definitely not the same as it once was, but it's far from dead.
Dec 24, 2011
394 posts
666 upvotes
East, Canada
Black Friday was muted this year. I think you’ll see Boxing Day make a big comeback this time with some great sales. It’s still the only time of year certain designers and stores even have a big sale: for example Fred Perry.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34951 posts
4259 upvotes
Winnipeg
It got replaced by boxing week like a decade ago, and then black Friday came over to dilute it further, but this year's black Friday was terrible so who knows, boxing day probably still going to be a non event.
Apr 10, 2019
352 posts
588 upvotes
Ottawa
I miss those all-nighter worthy Future Shop vs Best Buy doorcrashers. Disappointed Face
Nov 21, 2017
42 posts
39 upvotes
Boxing day is far from dead but the whole boxing week did take away from the excitement. They need to revert it back to a one day event it would bring back some of the prestige of boxing day.
Apr 10, 2019
352 posts
588 upvotes
Ottawa
Wpgdude wrote: Boxing day is far from dead but the whole boxing week did take away from the excitement. They need to revert it back to a one day event it would bring back some of the prestige of boxing day.
Yeah they really milked it with their marketing which killed any excitement it had...like these idiot marketing heads usually do.

- Pre-boxing day sale
- Boxing Week sale
- Boxing Day sale
- Boxing Day Sale heldover
- Boxing Week sale heldover
- Boxing Day in July sale?!

I probably missed another half dozen...
Jul 13, 2012
60 posts
17 upvotes
OTTAWA
Here's the thing about Boxing Day: A bunch of people were just given gift cards 24hrs ago and very few of them have to go to work or school that day.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4956 posts
4001 upvotes
Ottawa
Was dead yeeeears ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2057 posts
1972 upvotes
it's not dead but it needs to die
Retailers and manufactures have to split their resources to support two big sales in back to back months, instead of dumping all their funding into one day, like in US.
Instead of one huge sale, we have two mediocre sales.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14773 posts
6013 upvotes
Ottawa
BD is dead to me because I'm not going to wait for BD to get the items I wanted. At worst, I'd return the BF item and repurchase at BD because of the extended return policy.

I'll still double check this forum to see if there are any price errors or stacked coupons that work in my favor but for the most part, I've done my shopping already.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2277 posts
1306 upvotes
Ottawa
Konowl wrote: Was dead yeeeears ago.
Yeah - I haven't lined up since the early 2000s. I remember standing in line in the dark when a police car went by with the siren wailing. One guy said, "Someone got a deal so good it was illegal!" Everyone had a good laugh.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4956 posts
4001 upvotes
Ottawa
Bunyak wrote: Yeah - I haven't lined up since the early 2000s. I remember standing in line in the dark when a police car went by with the siren wailing. One guy said, "Someone got a deal so good it was illegal!" Everyone had a good laugh.
I used to be the guy in my family who had the day planned and I'd line up with my old man etc. I haven't seen anything worth lining up for in a long time. Maybe it's being older and having more disposable income, maybe the deals aren't as good, maybe it's cause I can get most of the shit online, or a combination of all those factors lol.

Only thing I'll head out to look at these days is reduced Christmas candy hahahah.
Nov 21, 2017
42 posts
39 upvotes
Dreamrider wrote: it's not dead but it needs to die
Retailers and manufactures have to split their resources to support two big sales in back to back months, instead of dumping all their funding into one day, like in US.
Instead of one huge sale, we have two mediocre sales.
I wholeheartedly disagree. They need to bring back boxing day to what it was. Which was a one day event with stores getting rid of old stock at big discounts. Having one big event is not going to get us stuff any cheaper. Stores still need to make a profit and their margins are already bone thin.

If we had to get rid of one I would choose Black Friday. I would rather keep boxing day going as it is a Canadian tradition.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2057 posts
1972 upvotes
Wpgdude wrote: I wholeheartedly disagree. They need to bring back boxing day to what it was. Which was a one day event with stores getting rid of old stock at big discounts. Having one big event is not going to get us stuff any cheaper. Stores still need to make a profit and their margins are already bone thin.

If we had to get rid of one I would choose Black Friday. I would rather keep boxing day going as it is a Canadian tradition.
not going to happen
times have changed. the way big stores control their inventory has changed. more and more online shopping lead to less over head per locations,
Black Friday will be here no matter you like it or not. Majority of discount $ come from manufactures, who doesn't really give a crap about Canada only Boxing day.(tiny tiny total sales compare to USA blackfriday)