• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2019 5:13 am
15 replies
Jul 13, 2019
119 posts
61 upvotes
Whats the trend usually? Are boxing day deals better than Black Friday?
Mar 8, 2017
125 posts
52 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
amb123 wrote: Whats the trend usually? Are boxing day deals better than Black Friday?
In my experience the last few years BF was better than BD. But this years BF was probably the worst for deals so I am hoping BD makes up for it this year
Oct 2, 2019
337 posts
211 upvotes
nickc9 wrote: In my experience the last few years BF was better than BD. But this years BF was probably the worst for deals so I am hoping BD makes up for it this year
In my experience these are always the same two comments to this question
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes
amb123 wrote: Whats the trend usually? Are boxing day deals better than Black Friday?
Black Friday is too recent a phenomenon in Canada to really have enough data. I'd say it has only been popularized here in about the 3-5 years. For the first few years, Black Friday was just another sale, and most of the good prices happened on Boxing Day.

More recently, more attention has been focused on Black Friday. I suspect Canadian retailers are piggy-backing on the hype created by marketing campaigns by US retailers, by putting out lukewarm Canadian versions of deals.

Last year seemed to be the strongest year for BF deals, but this year was a bit of a bust. I don't have high expectations for Boxing Day, either.
Jul 13, 2019
119 posts
61 upvotes
nickc9 wrote: In my experience the last few years BF was better than BD. But this years BF was probably the worst for deals so I am hoping BD makes up for it this year
I moved from US this year and BF deals here were like not even worth calling a deal, lol. Hope Boxing day is better.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3976 posts
1638 upvotes
Quebec
BF this year was really boring for me. i have the feeling that the BD will be the best deal day this year. maybe i am wrong.
Nov 21, 2017
42 posts
39 upvotes
In my experience Black Friday is always better for electronics. Boxing day is better for things like clothing and beds.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1401 posts
1358 upvotes
GTA
There are deals to be had on both days. Black Friday usually has better electronics sales though.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2975 posts
1137 upvotes
Lethbridge
It really depends on what you're after. Its still hit or miss, but I'm loving that Black Friday is actually seeing deals now - I can get all my Christmas shopping done on sale. 5-10 years ago, that wasn't a thing here in Canada.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1110 posts
562 upvotes
In my mind, BF has better electronics deals and BD has better apparels deals.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4851 posts
2151 upvotes
Markham
malcom1666 wrote: In my mind, BF has better electronics deals and BD has better apparels deals.
That makes sense as the manufacturers simply pass on the same or similar rebates to the retailers for electronics on both sides of the border. We get the benefit of all the marketing dollars they throw behind the discounts.

For Apparel, boxing day represents the last surge to sell your stuff. BF you still have until Boxing day.
Aug 19, 2019
68 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto GTA
amb123 wrote: I moved from US this year and BF deals here were like not even worth calling a deal, lol. Hope Boxing day is better.
Same case with me. Moved here last year but my perception has now changed. Canada too have good deals. It's just you need to put little efforts and believe me, this site (and RFDers) will make your job easier.
Give yourself some time to settle down specially with the currency. By black Friday 2020, you will gain expertise in finding far better deals throughout Canada. :)
Dec 1, 2017
231 posts
180 upvotes
RaptorsLeafsBlueJays…
Did I miss Rakuten's one-day 11 or 12% everything off this year??
Do or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Triumph starts with a "try" and ends with an... "OOMPH!" --Memphis and Mumble
May 7, 2008
702 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Deals have been weak for a few years for Boxing Day now....but does anyone else think that this year, they're not even trying?

This is the quietest pre-BD I think I can remember.

I'm old enough to remember when people would strategize about which store wait outside of. Even with online shopping - I remember when Future Shop/Best Buy threw down the gauntlet to the other stores and started their sales on Christmas Eve, which would necessitate balancing a plate of turkey and laptop to ensure that you got a good deal on wireless router.

Maybe I just got old but I have no inclination whatsoever given what I've seen to even attend BD this year.

Such a love/hate for Boxing Day and now Black Friday.