• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2019 6:24 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2019
5 posts

Which boxing day laptop to buy? Asus vivobook VS asus aspire 55

Which laptop is worth my money?
I've narrowed down to 2 laptops

Both are from a boxing day preview flyer from Best Buy in Ontario. First one is $300 off and second is $250 off.
I am a recent graduate and now commercial real estate agent and use my computer for long hours in my office, usually plugged in. Looking for a laptop 600-1000$.

REG $949, BOXING DAY $649
ASUS VivoBook 15.6" Laptop - Grey (Intel Core i5-10210U/512GB SSD/12GB RAM/Windows 10)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/13974642

REG $1100, BOXING DAY PRICE $849.
Acer Aspire 5 15.6" Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i7-10510U/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/Windows 10)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... 0/13978137

PLEASE HELP
- is the extra ram,
- better intel,
- backlit keyboard,
- and maybe extra battery life worth the extra money?
Cheaper one does have 32 gb intel optane.

Trying to learn computer stuff here lol.
12 replies
[OP]
Dec 18, 2019
5 posts
Or other recommendations with similar specs and price!
Thanks!
Feb 8, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
Yesterday I went to best buy and take a look at this Acer 5 laptop. No doubt at least I am unable to find a similar spec laptop in this price range. However I noticed two draw backs on this Acer (if these two things not bothering you, I guess you will be happy with your purchase)

1. The build quality was not strong ( I pressed the area where you rest your palm and it was bending) similar pressure I applied to other laptop (e.g. Lenovo, Dell, HP and they were not bending at all).
2. Sound Quality was not great.

Other than these two issues I don't find any-other problems. Everything was great. Off-course I didn't test the battery life etc. However I run some stress test software and, it run very well. Also the 4K video was running nicely.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2019
5 posts
Ahh good to know.
I’m still undecided, but I got time.

Thanks for the info!
Aug 23, 2017
20 posts
3 upvotes
My suggestion would be 1. check out some online reviews on them, 2. go into best buy to test drive.

The Vivobook is reasonable at $649, if you don't mind the screen (probably a TN, not IPS) and the battery (reviews say it lasts only 2 hours with a full charge).
Aug 24, 2011
183 posts
73 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Acer laptop's battery is much better ! "48Wh Li-ion battery keeps the laptop charged for up to 9.5 hours…"
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
1327 posts
696 upvotes
Pluto
I've had bad experience with the lower end acer stuff.. I'd pass on anything acer..
Jan 10, 2013
54 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
I had this very dilemma last year, but dropped the ACER pretty early on because of its looks - if thick screen bezels bother you (they do for me), get the vivobook, as the latter as it does have a more premium look and feel. Mine is virtually the same model of vivobook (s15 s530 - yours appears to have minor cosmetic differences ie color options) and would buy it again for the fingerprint reader. Seriously. Quicker and more accurate than the reader on my note 9. Very solid feel and thin, and despite the overall plastic build (lid is brushed aluminum) the keyboard flex is minimal, unlike videos of the ACER I've seen. No tech expert so I could be wrong (mine also shipped with 32gb optane memory), but since both laptops feature a SSD HD, the extra memory cache is kind of redundant, given that SSDs are inherently speedy to begin with. Boot speed is great (19-20 seconds) a year in, and battery life is average - nothing to write home about. 4-4.5ish hours with nonstop 1080p video playback, and around 5-5.5 just browsing/everyday use. IIRC the s530 came in 2 configs: TN 1366 x 768 and an IPS FHD 1920 x 1080, the latter of which is mine and has good performance; but again, nothing to write home about.

I'd doublecheck if your ASUS has a backlit keyboard. Mine was advertised as lacking this feature (the photos omitted the fingerprint reader as well), however video reviews of the standard model/ones I viewed instore had both, so I went for it anyway. Turns out the specs on the item page were just incorrect.

RAM-wise, 16GB is great to have, but unless you're playing processor or graphic-intensive games it's kinda overkill. 12GB is already above average for a laptop, and I don't have any problems running Adobe Photoshop alongside other resource hogs. Out of your entire list, I'd evaluate whether a backlit keyboard is important to you and verify the specs. It does come in handy if you need to work with the lights out
Jan 10, 2013
54 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Also a quick google says that the i7 only edges out the i5 slightly. again I think RAM is more important. My i5 config was bundled with 12GB RAM and have no problems for everyday and grad school program use.

https://laptopmedia.com/comparisons/int ... at-the-i7/
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 9vsm819403
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_c ... 10210u-941
Jan 10, 2013
54 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
^ great option. Just bought the 14s for my mom 2 months ago, and can attest the build quality is excellent for this price point. 180 hinges are underrated for lap use on the sofa/bed.

Better sound q too (good but not perfect). One flaw I forgot to mention is that the external speakers on the ^ Acer/ASUS models are noticeably on the quieter side even at max volume. For RE use, the only con is no microSD slot. I'd go for this one if no other options present themselves by boxing day.