Shopping Discussion

Boxing day prices WITHOUT lining up at FS and BB!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2005 10:00 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 24, 2001
184 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver

Boxing day prices WITHOUT lining up at FS and BB!!!

Perhaps there's already a thread on this but I can't find it so here goes...FS and BB may have made a mistake by letting these flyers out early because now you can get what you want NOW from the Futureshop or Bestbuy Boxing Day flyers without lining up and likely in stock!

Here's how:
Both FS and BB have price guarantees that protect you against their own prices for 30 days after a purchase (Futureshop protection and BestBuy protection ). Since we already know what's going on sale why not simply go down and buy what you want NOW (might not be possible with rebates) and get refunded the difference anytime after Boxing Day? There is no stipulation that you can't do this on the Boxing Day flyer.

Lastly, even if there is a loophole that doesn't let you do this, many credit cards (like CitiBank's Mastercard) have price protection for item purchased as well...a bad person might even double dip and get two refunds. :twisted: (honestly...don't do this though)

Thoughts?
26 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Starturtle wrote:Here's how:
Both FS and BB have price guarantees that protect you against their own prices for 30 days after a purchase (Futureshop protection and BestBuy protection ). Since we already know what's going on sale why not simply go down and buy what you want NOW and get refunded the difference anytime after Boxing Day? There is no stipulation that you can't do this on the Boxing Day flyer.
The reason you can't do this after Boxing Week is because their PM policies say:
"Once our staff is able to verify that the item is in stock and available for immediate sale and delivery at the advertised price, you will receive your refund."

You have to price match while the sale is on.

You could argue that the " If our own price is reduced within 30 days of your purchase, we will refund the difference to you" portion of their PM policy doesn't say you have to come in at the time of the sale to have the price reduced, but you'll probably have a very tough time winning that argument.
May 15, 2005
428 posts
Also most of the sale is having MIR. So if we buy early it may not be possible to get the MIR and then it is not a deal
Oct 24, 2001
184 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver
Okay so what you'd have to do is still line up but while everyone is racing for the stock, you race for customer service for your refund.

Alternatively, you can argue Rehan's point or there's still the credit card protection route.
Aug 27, 2005
671 posts
46 upvotes
Starturtle wrote:Okay so what you'd have to do is still line up but while everyone is racing for the stock, you race for customer service for your refund.

Alternatively, you can argue Rehan's point or there's still the credit card protection route.

Customer service will be closed....so.....meh! to that idea... :lol:
I'm not MEAN!....I'm just careful... ;)
Oct 24, 2001
184 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver
mizer wrote:Customer service will be closed....so.....meh! to that idea... :lol:
But alas, customer service will be open but there will be no returns for a few days.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
I think they've thought of this already.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2001
2332 posts
362 upvotes
Vancouver
... then what do you think they'll do about it, if cust. service will be in fact open?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2005
4142 posts
1 upvote
Why don't you just add the items to your cart online and press refresh at 12:01am to checkout? Isn't that possible?
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
kcjchan wrote:Why don't you just add the items to your cart online and press refresh at 12:01am to checkout? Isn't that possible?
And watch the server crash while all the other smart asses attempt the same move.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3416 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Our get it for less guarantee does not apply to advertising errors or misprints, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances and special financing offers.[/QUOTE]

according to that... boxing day & boxing week specials might fall under limited time & limited quantity. so no PM.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Starturtle wrote: Lastly, even if there is a loophole that doesn't let you do this, many credit cards (like CitiBank's Mastercard) have price protection for item purchased as well.

Have you ever tried to get the difference back from Citi? I'm just curious as they're taking a long time honouring an extended warranty.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1004 posts
2 upvotes
Customer Service will be closed for the 26 and 27. The reason why this is happening is because all the reps are doing cash because of the amount of people.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
10 upvotes
Remember they still need to have the item in stock for you to PM. If you buy now and they're out of stock for the entire week, your only option is to keep the item at regular price or return for a full refund.
Jun 19, 2002
319 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
here's an idea!

I think all of these sales apply for "boxing week" (so mir last for the whole week), so you can buy the item now then go to customer service on the 28th, 29th, or 30th (...when nobody is there :) ) and:
a. ask nicely if you can return then rebuy the product, which someone will probably do, just tell them you bought it before chirstmas and now there is a mail in rebate
b. return it, then have a family member try and buy the item
c. think of something else creative to do a return then repurchase, giving you the mail in rebates
University of Toronto - Engineering Science
Co-Founder www.internshare.com
Jul 3, 2001
860 posts
269 upvotes
GTA
dammit... i was about to go out and buy the lg dvd player and price match later.

Wonder if they will withhold new stock for 30days, so that we cant pricematch within 30days since there would be no stock.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
Here's my thoughts,

Even if this MIRACULOUSLY works, you already took the first step in letting the FS and BB staff know about your little plan by posting it on here LOL. They check this site as well =) Probably have some set of internet team to see if they made any errors in their prices and other policies. LOL.

So better luck next time =)

Starturtle wrote:Perhaps there's already a thread on this but I can't find it so here goes...FS and BB may have made a mistake by letting these flyers out early because now you can get what you want NOW from the Futureshop or Bestbuy Boxing Day flyers without lining up and likely in stock!

Here's how:
Both FS and BB have price guarantees that protect you against their own prices for 30 days after a purchase (Futureshop protection and BestBuy protection ). Since we already know what's going on sale why not simply go down and buy what you want NOW (might not be possible with rebates) and get refunded the difference anytime after Boxing Day? There is no stipulation that you can't do this on the Boxing Day flyer.

Lastly, even if there is a loophole that doesn't let you do this, many credit cards (like CitiBank's Mastercard) have price protection for item purchased as well...a bad person might even double dip and get two refunds. :twisted: (honestly...don't do this though)

Thoughts?
Oct 24, 2001
419 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
It won't work.

Back in 2002 and 2003 when I was employed at Best Buy during both Boxing Days, we indicated that those prices were effective for the Boxing Day week stock only. No pricematches were allowed on items bought previous to that timespan.

You can argue it with a CS representative if you wish, but you'll lose.
Feb 23, 2005
821 posts
277 upvotes
sully wrote:It won't work.

Back in 2002 and 2003 when I was employed at Best Buy during both Boxing Days, we indicated that those prices were effective for the Boxing Day week stock only. No pricematches were allowed on items bought previous to that timespan.

You can argue it with a CS representative if you wish, but you'll lose.

Here is what BB says on their website:

Holiday Price Protections

To serve you better, we are unable to accept or process any requests for price protections on December 26th and 27th (but we'll be happy to accept and process them from December 28th onwards as normal). We will, of course, extend the claim timeline accordingly.

The link is here:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/helpsection/docum ... =EN#lowest

I sent two emails to BB and FS seperately regarding this issue, I will keep your guys posted if get an answer in time.