Boxing Day 2019 Discussion

Are Boxing Day sales a Joke?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2019 12:20 am

Poll: So Did you see any GREAT Boxing day sales?

• Total votes: 620. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

60%
NO

40%

Poll ended at Jan 6th, 2020 4:19 am

Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2557 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
the only deal i scored this year was the Alienware R8 from Costco back in early Sep. No deal on desktops during BF or BD beat this year. pathetic.
Apr 19, 2015
231 posts
247 upvotes
Banana Republic had a great sale, 60% off all already-discounted sale prices. I cleaned up there!

I've found that the sales are generally fine and good, acknowledging that I need very little at this point in my life. Many of the great sales are on things I know I don't need, so they just kind of bounce off me. I mean sure, I'd love to see 75% off a laptop or some other high profile electronics, but you have to be reasonable in your expectations.
Sep 20, 2008
26 posts
4 upvotes
Kitchener
In my opinion gift cards ruined boxing day sales.
With everybody getting gift cards for Christmas nowadays it would b dumb for major retailers to lower prices when ppl have to spend them.
May 7, 2015
230 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fmpsportsguy2 wrote: Is it just me or are Boxing day "sales" just a JOKE? Kind of a waste of time for most posts.. nothing GREAT to be had, money safe!
Welcome to canada
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4287 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto
The better deals have been during Black Friday.
And the canadian dollar isn't exactly powerful now. You've got to set your sight lower.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1130 posts
699 upvotes
I think that over the years with the internet at our disposal and sites like RFD we have become more aware of the better day-to-day sales and therefore when boxing day comes and basically it's the same typical sales (except maybe more widespread on one specific day) we aren't as enticed by them as we used to be.

And I suspect that more companies are taking in weaker margins on an ongoing basis (because they have to be more competitive consistently since you can search online and find where the best price is on a daily basis) and because of that they can't afford the same level of deep discounts on boxing day specifically.

I feel like often the best sales are a culmination of a few sales or discounts overlapping. Like price matching a sale that may be the best of the year and getting the additional 10% off for the price match, possibly with some sort of other promotion or discount involved as well, like a free gift card for spending over X dollars, etc. Or an excellent sale paired up with an abnormally high ebates cashback. These types of overlapping opportunities don't necessary happen on boxing day and if they don't then it's quite possible that you'd get a better sale some other time if you wait and are persistent about it.

Boxing day is just a day where the odds of there being a sale of some sort on what you want is increased compared to normal, but the odds of it being an exceptional sale or the best of the year aren't much better than any other day that happens to have a sale.

For myself also, I think my needs and requirements have gotten a lot more specific over the years, so unless all the stars align and there's the perfect combination of discounts/sales/coupons/promotions on a very specific (often not as common) product, I'm just not interested at all. In my younger days I would have potentially just been more impressed by some big discount number on <anything>.

The most intriguing deal for me this year was the Sony 55" 900F television. It's the specific model I want and it happens to be on sale, except I wanted the 49". The 55" is available for less money than the 49" but the spot I want it for makes the 49" the better choice. So even though the 55" is the best deal I've seen in the past few months I've been looking, it still isn't the right deal for me. Boxing day was disappointing.
Last edited by unknownone on Dec 27th, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3849 posts
5314 upvotes
Montreal
I upvoted this thread because even though it has been opened in the wrong forum, OP has a point and I would have missed it if it had been posted in the Shopping Discussion forum.

Once again, Boxing Day has been disappointing.

First, maybe after following RFD for a few years, I already have what I need.
Because of RFD, I already bought: TV, Receiver, Speakers, Mattress set, Cell phone, Eneloops/Smart charger, changed ISP, etc.

But then, I feel there is/wasn't anything really special this BD and we are surfing on past memories of amazing deals.
For example, this year's The Source BD flyer: yawn!
The Source always has ridiculously high regular prices but once a year, really deep discount on Boxing Day: not this year.
I checked many flyers: Visions, Best Buy, Staples, Canadian Tire, Canada Computers,etc.
Bought nothing so far and I don't think I will.

I have been following SATA SSDs for a couple of years now and there's nothing special for Boxing Day.
The best deal was around Black Friday with the 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO @ $80 minus a $25 Staples coupon.

I wonder if it might have something to do with The Big Orange Pumking down south and his trade war with China?
Could new tariffs on goods from China have something to do with higher prices in Canada?

Oh, well, after all, like Scarlett O'Hara said in Gone with the wind: "Tomorrow, is another day."
Aug 17, 2006
657 posts
39 upvotes
I was expecting the Fire Stick 4K will be back at $34.99 during Boxing day but didn't. It was at that price during Black Friday. I am bit disappointed this Boxing Day sale.
Penalty Box
Mar 12, 2017
256 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MODS, LEAVE THIS POST UP. LET THE RETAILERS SEE THAT THEY WERE A JOKE AGAIN THIS YEAR. Black Friday WON THE BATTLE!
Jul 29, 2016
167 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Is that just me got confused that the question in title is opposite to the question in poll?
Mar 6, 2015
27 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
I find it to be a joke. I've was looking to spend some money on anything that I thought could be useful to me if there was some kind of a good deal. But there was none.

My money stayed in my wallet, which is good. The other downside, is that I spend a lot of time going through flyers and the hot deals forum for nothing...when I could have spent the time doing something else.
Last edited by Megatron077 on Dec 27th, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 21, 2018
103 posts
130 upvotes
Boxing day bust! Only deal I considered was the Dewalt reciprocating saw kit @ $169.99 but held off since I didn't really need it. Everything else was a bunch of junk, low end big 4k tvs and cell phones that lock you in for two years, junk. There was much better prices leading up to Christmas Pouting Face
Proud Sodomite 😋
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
10356 posts
2586 upvotes
Scarberia
another crap year for boxing day! safe to say its pretty much dead now..weather was so nice to lineup too...i wanted to lineup but nothing to lineup for lol...lame canadacomputers too...i wanted them to have the 3600x for 200$ , i'd line up for that
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>