Boxing Day 2019 Discussion

Are Boxing Day sales a Joke?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2019 12:20 am

Poll: So Did you see any GREAT Boxing day sales?

• Total votes: 620. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

60%
NO

40%

Poll ended at Jan 6th, 2020 4:19 am

Jul 30, 2011
357 posts
265 upvotes
Durham region
You are the consumer. Ignore boxing day and it'll go away. It used to be about liquidating inventory. Now it's just another call to action. Ignore the call.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20708 posts
14540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Temporel wrote: I upvoted this thread because even though it has been opened in the wrong forum, OP has a point and I would have missed it if it had been posted in the Shopping Discussion forum.
I wonder how many of the 60-odd hot-trigger-finger posters who downvoted this thread, presumably because they think it's in the wrong forum, also took a few seconds to Report it to the Mods so it could get moved to the"correct" forum.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 9, 2005
267 posts
60 upvotes
Hamilton,Ontario
At least this year they were. looks like they focused more on black friday and forgot about boxing day.
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Homer J
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4570 posts
6667 upvotes
Montreal
lmx116 wrote: Is that just me got confused that the question in title is opposite to the question in poll?
It is opposite but that's O.K., you just have to read before answering:
- Are Boxing Day sales a Joke? --> Yes
- So Did you see any GREAT Boxing day sales? --> No
Apr 1, 2013
655 posts
786 upvotes
Fredericton
15 years on RFD with over 600 posts - doesn't know what hot deals is for.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2936 posts
2509 upvotes
Montreal
lmx116 wrote: Is that just me got confused that the question in title is opposite to the question in poll?
You are correct, the thread title does not reflect the question in the poll. We got tricked. I answered YES thinking I was answering to: the boxing day is a joke but the poll question is:
So Did you see any GREAT Boxing day sales?

Lol, that is misleading, hahaha.

virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end.
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
May 30, 2015
636 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto, ON
this is by far the worst boxing day of my life even if my wallet disagree
Aug 11, 2005
43 posts
56 upvotes
Working for a Canadian retailer, I can tell you that our margins are not higher than in the last 20 years. In fact, they are thinner. The margins are now way smaller on a daily basis, and to be competitive with online and other retailers we need to have deals year-round. Customers are enjoying this and they now only buy on promotion. Look at clothing, when is the last time you bought full-price?
Jul 17, 2012
726 posts
276 upvotes
Kamloops
Was Gonna post something like this to nag lol. Only bought a box of diaper this year for boxing day and 5 bucks tidal deal. Black Friday got zeiss binocular from London drugs for 150 with the 50% off deal.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20708 posts
14540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
quik wrote: Customers are enjoying this and they now only buy on promotion. Look at clothing, when is the last time you bought full-price?
In part that's the retail industry's fault. Sales used to happen only a few times a year. They offered legitimate discounts from list price. Now they happen regularly and "list price" is inflated to make those sales look more attractive. So why would anyone buy at full price when they only have to a wait a month or two for the next "sale"?

In part your woes are the result of a shift to online. As a result people can look at and try stuff in your store while buying it online for less, so-called "showrooming." Or they can buy several sizes or styles online, keeping only the one they like best, returning the rest for free. B&M can't generally compete with Amazon on price. So what are you doing to distinguish yourselves from Amazon in other ways?

Also with Black Friday and Boxing Day deals available to online shoppers, why shiver in the cold in the middle of the night waiting to "crash" through a door when you can score the deal from the comfort of your home and have it delivered for free? Even if the online price is slightly higher than the best in-store door-crasher price, the convenience is worth the premium.

Finally, while it may appear that there are fewer BF and BD shoppers at the stores, it's quite possible that overall sales are up if we include online sales in the mix.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 6, 2010
415 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto
InvaIid wrote: Unless peoples consider 20% off a "boxing day deal" then no.

Back when I was a kid, boxing day was all about the 50% off or more.
Personally, I prefer store-wide 20-25% off over 75% off leftover stuff that nobody else wanted.
i am upside down
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13379 posts
8347 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hey, at least my wallet is safe eh?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 4, 2019
207 posts
141 upvotes
There was a time when Boxing Day was just as good as waking up on a Christmas morning. It was a shopping experience for the entire family. I miss those days waiting in the cold, freezing my ass, while my brother freezing his ass just few steps away at another store and same can be said for my father and my uncles. That great feeling of accomplishment when we come home with, TV, DVD player, printer, MP3 player..DVDs..DVDR ..last few years it has been bad to the point that we don’t even bother with it, just sleep in.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1272 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely bought more during BF than BD. It wasn't just because it came first, but it was also because of better deals. And then anything that got better (clothing mainly), from BF to BD, I either asked for a price adjustment credit or returned it and bought it at the cheaper price.
Jul 18, 2017
6 posts
Vancouver
It's not really worth the chase. Deals that occur on Boxing Day, I've seen throughout the year - albeit at different times. I think now with so much competition online, that Boxing Day and Black Friday are losing their edge. I'm not sure if maybe Black Friday is bigger in the US, though, I've never braved it.