• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 10:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3882 posts
1877 upvotes

Boycott No Frills - Women with disability banned from store

When you treat your customers like garbage lets see how you like it in bankruptcy court.

Woman with disability banned from No Frills store after failing to pack groceries fast enough

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5028056
Last edited by pootza on Feb 25th, 2019 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
44 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2188 posts
1208 upvotes
Vancouveresque
I don't think the abhorrent behavior of one franchisee really defines the behavior of other No Frills franchisees. If you want to boycott that particular location (and possibly others run by the same franchisee), sure, go for it. But otherwise..

And given how angry people were on here about the whole bread price fixing thing, and that didn't manage to put them out of business, I doubt that this story will.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3882 posts
1877 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: I don't think the abhorrent behavior of one franchisee really defines the behavior of other No Frills franchisees. If you want to boycott that particular location (and possibly others run by the same franchisee), sure, go for it. But otherwise..

And given how angry people were on here about the whole bread price fixing thing, and that didn't manage to put them out of business, I doubt that this story will.
I guess you didn't read how Head Office handled it eh.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5704 posts
5118 upvotes
pootza wrote: When you treat your customers like garbage lets see how you like it in bankruptcy court.

Yeesh. The lady should probably just do grocery delivery or click & collect / grocery pickup. Why keep going to the same discount store over and over again, having to "beg for help"?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2188 posts
1208 upvotes
Vancouveresque
pootza wrote: I guess you didn't read how Head Office handled it eh.
How would you have preferred they handle it instead? They yelled at the franchisee about it and offered her $100.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5704 posts
5118 upvotes
pootza wrote: I guess you didn't read how Head Office handled it eh.
I thought they handled it pretty well. The employees/managers may have been rude, but $100 is already generous.

This is like going to a self-serve gas station and crying that no one will pump your gas because you're disabled.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13683 posts
8692 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
OK, I'll boycott 'Romeo's No Frills' if I ever step foot in Alberta.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1671 posts
707 upvotes
I mean, they didnt handle it the best but its also looking at it from one side, it doesnt say what that women said to the staff. Its possible she was rude to them as well. But ultimately, she is shopping at a discount store that doesnt offer the service of packing your groceries for you so if you are unable to do that then you need to shop at a store that does. As posted above, you dont go to a self serve gas station and expect them to pump your gas.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1904 posts
875 upvotes
London
pootza wrote: When you treat your customers like garbage lets see how you like it in bankruptcy court.

Woman with disability banned from No Frills store after failing to pack groceries fast enough

I do sympathize with her, but the article really does present a bias, and she is playing it up.
She is not "banned", as the article suggests.
If she plays by the rules, she is welcome back.

"It is the kind of grocery store where customers are required to pack their own items and in exchange, the idea is, they pay lower prices."

That is the trade off.
Go to Loblaws otherwise.

"Customer service apologized and Rolston says she was told she could continue shopping at the store as long as she called ahead to make sure someone was available to assist her.
Rolston said that didn't seem right since other customers weren't expected to do the same.
"

That seems reasonable accommodation for a service they don't even provide.

She's cherry picking a bit here with the "other customers weren't expected to do the same."

No they aren't.
Other customers are expected to pack their own groceries though.
You can't have it both ways.

I don't believe the store was in violation of anything, until:
"I said, 'Are you telling me because I'm disabled I can't shop here?' And he said, 'Yes.'

If he really said that, he just doomed their defense.
Given her slant, I wonder if he actually said it like that though.

As a customer, I'd probably pitch in and assist her, except I sense a real attitude.
That might influence an offer to assist.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11913 posts
6442 upvotes
Brampton
L.TO's mistake was just not offering enough money for her to stay quiet.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
arisk wrote: "It is the kind of grocery store where customers are required to pack their own items and in exchange, the idea is, they pay lower prices."

That is the trade off.
Go to Loblaws otherwise.
There are no Loblaws stores in Whitecourt. Her other option is an IGA with significantly higher prices. Given her disability, I suspect that finances are an issue and this is her only option to stretch her money. If she lives alone and has no family to help, she's in a bit of trouble.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1904 posts
875 upvotes
London
retrothing wrote: There are no Loblaws stores in Whitecourt. Her other option is an IGA with significantly higher prices. Given her disability, I suspect that finances are an issue and this is her only option to stretch her money. If she lives alone and has no family to help, she's in a bit of trouble.
I'm sure that is the case, and don't dispute what you say.
That still doesn't change No Frills business model though.
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
I totally agree with OP. We must boycott the TTC too for their service, and many businesses in Toronto because they know in Toronto they always can find customers regardless of their sh't service
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3882 posts
1877 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: I mean, they didnt handle it the best but its also looking at it from one side, it doesnt say what that women said to the staff. Its possible she was rude to them as well. But ultimately, she is shopping at a discount store that doesnt offer the service of packing your groceries for you so if you are unable to do that then you need to shop at a store that does. As posted above, you dont go to a self serve gas station and expect them to pump your gas.
She was packing her own groceries but it was too slow for their liking and they booted her out.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1671 posts
707 upvotes
pootza wrote: She was packing her own groceries but it was too slow for their liking and they booted her out.
There are numerous inconsistencies in the story. At the beginning she says they said she was too slow but then later in the story it quotes her as pleading for help.
She says she had to "beg and plead" staff for help packing big grocery runs but was often told they were too busy.
Jul 19, 2011
543 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I love nofrills. They don't waste their money on being "nice", but they get the job done which is what matters. They have what I want at the prices I want. Their website is also slow as shit but it tells me what I want to know, and it's better than not having a website.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Go to asian stores instead, they put your stuff in the bags
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1806 posts
124 upvotes
Southern ontario
probably no asian grocery stores in that area.
test9251 wrote: Go to asian stores instead, they put your stuff in the bags
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3369 posts
1983 upvotes
Edmonton
superfresh89 wrote: Yeesh. The lady should probably just do grocery delivery or click & collect / grocery pickup. Why keep going to the same discount store over and over again, having to "beg for help"?
She should just shop at a reputable grocer.