Boycott No Frills - Women with disability banned from store

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 10:50 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3369 posts
1983 upvotes
Edmonton
superfresh89 wrote: I thought they handled it pretty well. The employees/managers may have been rude, but $100 is already generous.

This is like going to a self-serve gas station and crying that no one will pump your gas because you're disabled.
The matter was handled horribly. They should give her the $100 regardless, not to buy her out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5704 posts
5118 upvotes
starchoice wrote: The matter was handled horribly. They should give her the $100 regardless, not to buy her out.
The lady sounds like a vindictive nightmare of a customer. They should have offered only an apology and no monetary compensation.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2375 posts
1189 upvotes
London
although its stupid that a store would care how fast someone is packaging there grocery's. how does this person having there voice box being removed affect your ability to put stuff in a bag. if she has that much of a problem bagging stuff go to Walmart and price match the stuff they will bag the stuff for u.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24698 posts
1831 upvotes
Markham, ON
there's always another side of the story...just saying.

I'd be really surprised if a manager came out of the office and banned her for bagging slowly...
i'd love to hear from other ppl shopping to see if this shopper made a scene or something.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6589 posts
2945 upvotes
Moncton, NB
thelefteyeguy wrote: there's always another side of the story...just saying.

I'd be really surprised if a manager came out of the office and banned her for bagging slowly...
i'd love to hear from other ppl shopping to see if this shopper made a scene or something.
I agree with you. Most of the time the news will always post the worse of the situation. She could have been really disrespectful toward the employees. But we don't know the whole story.

Like that one time I went to walmart and this guy in a wheelchair was swearing at everyone like he owned the place. It was frustrating to see because some people we there doing their own shopping with kids and it's like they should have closed the the store so he got his way. I sure didn't want to offer any help if he needed some...
Feb 10, 2019
13 posts
6 upvotes
great customer service and discount price usually dont go together, all I gotta say is adjust your expectation.
Jul 4, 2009
976 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga area
aaron158 wrote: although its stupid that a store would care how fast someone is packaging there grocery's. how does this person having there voice box being removed affect your ability to put stuff in a bag. if she has that much of a problem bagging stuff go to Walmart and price match the stuff they will bag the stuff for u.
She had throat cancer, probably had chemo and radiation to deal with it before the removal of voice box. Chemo and radiation takes a huge toll on the body, leaving a lot of problems afterwards, such as lymphadema and nerve damage which can be temporary but some lasting many years, or even permanent.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18585 posts
6623 upvotes
Toronto
There are two sides to every story but the store could have prevented this. Did they have to help her bag her groceries? No. Should they have in good faith? Yes. This is going to negatively impact that store since the owner didn't do the right thing. How hard is it to call someone from the back to help for 5 mins or the cashier could have helped the women bag her groceries? I understand it's a No Frills but keep in mind it's a franchise so customer service will impact the owner at the end of the day and this negative publicity will not help.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6589 posts
2945 upvotes
Moncton, NB
YongshuaiL59278 wrote: great customer service and discount price usually dont go together, all I gotta say is adjust your expectation.
I have to disagree with that. Our No Frill is great. I've never had any issues and everytime I ask for assistance finding a product they are always there to help. I'm sure you will get exceptional service at the "Supreme" store even if you are buying their 50$ stickers. They know people are crazy enough to pay for that so they will make sure to make you happy. :) But it doesn't mean that shopping at a discount will lower the grade of service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3882 posts
1877 upvotes
Whoever the mod was that changed the title of this thread please change it back and issue an apology.
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27310 upvotes
carmaster wrote: There are two sides to every story but the store could have prevented this. Did they have to help her bag her groceries? No. Should they have in good faith? Yes. This is going to negatively impact that store since the owner didn't do the right thing. How hard is it to call someone from the back to help for 5 mins or the cashier could have helped the women bag her groceries? I understand it's a No Frills but keep in mind it's a franchise so customer service will impact the owner at the end of the day and this negative publicity will not help.
Exactly.

Plus why didn’t anyone in line offer to help? Even if only for the selfish reason to keep the line moving.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1101 posts
1304 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I think OP should work for this lady so OP can pack the grocery for this lady faster
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1364 posts
408 upvotes
Calgary
aaron158 wrote: although its stupid that a store would care how fast someone is packaging there grocery's. how does this person having there voice box being removed affect your ability to put stuff in a bag. if she has that much of a problem bagging stuff go to Walmart and price match the stuff they will bag the stuff for u.
A store would care, cause if she is taking too long, it backs up other customers. As well, the voice box side adds an even more human compassion aspect to the story.
thelefteyeguy wrote: there's always another side of the story...just saying.

This is what I am wondering, I highly doubt any manager is just going to tell her to get her shit and get out.
Sep 30, 2009
1 posts
2 upvotes
Why should a store provide a service they do not provide because she is disabled? Bring someone to pack the groceries or go to a store that offers packing. She doesn't seem to understand the concept here. ALL the customers are expected to pack their own bags.

Rolston complained again – this time to Loblaw's head office. Customer service apologized and Rolston says she was told she could continue shopping at the store as long as she called ahead to make sure someone was available to assist her. Rolston said that didn't seem right since other customers weren't expected to do the same.

"I'm an adult. I'm not going to phone to get permission to go shopping," she said in an interview.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9060 posts
2652 upvotes
London
Maybe we should set aside times during the week for various groups to shop; old people, who are always up early anyways get the mornings. People with kids not yet in school get after lunch but before 3 (we'll have cookies and apple slices at the door for you). People with day jobs get 4-6 to pick up a couple of things to make dinner. Single people get to shop friday and saturday evening from 7-closing, and we'll turn the lights down a little and have a DJ instead of Musak.

And old retired people are also banned from shopping on weekends. You don't have jobs, you can shop during the week; people with jobs sometimes only have the weekend to run errands.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1877 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
TomLafinsky wrote: This lady should shop at Costco as there is someone to pack your stuff :)
And she can even fling her shopping cart and leave it in the middle of the parking lot like every self entitled Costco shopper does.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5662 posts
1844 upvotes
Space
There’s a man in my town that has similar issue. It takes him a good 10 minutes to pack a few things. I saw the same man a few weeks ago. This time, they called someone from their office, which ran out and packed his stuff quickly AND walked it to his vehicle. Needless to say, this woman should have been handled differently and this would be a non story. Clearly an incompetent manager.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3450 posts
625 upvotes
This seemed like a reasonable response:
Customer service apologized and Rolston says she was told she could continue shopping at the store as long as she called ahead to make sure someone was available to assist her.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1877 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Solsearchin1 wrote: There’s a man in my town that has similar issue. It takes him a good 10 minutes to pack a few things. I saw the same man a few weeks ago. This time, they called someone from their office, which ran out and packed his stuff quickly AND walked it to his vehicle. Needless to say, this woman should have been handled differently and this would be a non story. Clearly an incompetent manager.
So are you saying the mods on RFD should be more helpful instead of banning so many people and companies? I don't expect a store manager to behave any differently than an RFD mod.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5662 posts
1844 upvotes
Space
Not sure if you misquoted me but I don’t expect anything from anyone. Good customer service ( in any business ), goes a long way.

JoeStale wrote: So are you saying the mods on RFD should be more helpful instead of banning so many people and companies? I don't expect a store manager to behave any differently than an RFD mod.