Automotive

Brake Job cost for a 2012 Camry LE- Suggestions needed.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2022 8:54 am
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto

Brake Job cost for a 2012 Camry LE- Suggestions needed.

I need to get my front and rear brakes replaced (pads and rotors) as well as change the brake fluid on my 2012 Camry LE with 216K on it and was trying to get an idea of what is a fair price to do this.

I usually take the vehicle in to the Dealership and use OEM parts and was trying to get an idea of what going to other mechanics would cost.

- Midas Muffler quoted $1200 to $1500 for brakes + fluid changes and other things which seems high.

- Another repair shop quoted $900 using "First Line" brake parts (never heard of this brand)

- My local dealer charged me around $1120 tax in. for my 2014 Camry last year (pads/rotors/brake fluid, taxes in.)

The last inspection/brake service (cleaning) I did was about 20K ago and the pads front/back were about 5mm. Front rotors and pads were replaced over 5 years/100K ago and rear pads were replaced over 4 years/84K ago. The rear rotors have never been changed.

For someone who has no tools, or the ability to change the brakes, what is considered a fair price? Also, any suggestions on where to go from people who accept Credit Card. I want to get quiet, good quality parts and not looking for the cheapest option.

Thanks
Last edited by hightech on Sep 6th, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Damn, $1500, that's a lot considering parts should be under $300.
I would think a fair price should be under $800, so the one quote is decent, but unknown parts. Did you ask them for OEM?
You could call dealer and ask them for parts pricing, they might have a deal on service as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
iGarage

Assuming you’re from the centre of the universe
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Damn, $1500, that's a lot considering parts should be under $300.
I would think a fair price should be under $800, so the one quote is decent, but unknown parts. Did you ask them for OEM?
You could call dealer and ask them for parts pricing, they might have a deal on service as well.
OEM Toyota Pads are about $90 per axel and Rotors are $90 each so that is about $540 right there. My Dad paid $1120 tax in at the dealership last year for the same thing on his car (2014 Camry). How do you get $300 for parts and how good is the quality?

The place that quoted me $900 said if I wanted OEM, there would be a price difference.
Last edited by hightech on Sep 6th, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: I need to get my front and rear brakes replaced (pads and rotors) as well as change the brake fluid on my 2012 Camry LE with 216K on it and was trying to get an idea of what is a fair price to do this.

I usually take the vehicle in to the Dealership and use OEM parts and was trying to get an idea of what going to other mechanics would cost.

- Midas Muffler quoted $1200 to $1500 for brakes + fluid changes and other things which seems high.

- Another repair shop quoted $900 using "First Line" brake parts (never heard of this brand)

- My local dealer charged me around $1120 tax in. for my 2014 Camry last year (pads/rotors/brake fluid, taxes in.)

The last inspection/brake service (cleaning) I did was about 20K ago and the pads front/back were about 5mm. Front rotors and pads were replaced over 5 years/100K ago and rear pads were replaced over 4 years/84K ago. The rear rotors have never been changed.

For someone who has no tools, or the ability to change the brakes, what is considered a fair price? Also, any suggestions on where to go from people who accept Credit Card. I want to get quiet, good quality parts and not looking for the cheapest option.

Thanks
from your own post, go to the dealer and see if you can get the same deal you got last year for the 2014.

Failing that, drop your car at iGarage and Uber/bike to work for the day
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
hightech wrote: OEM Toyota Pads are about $90 per axel and Rotors are $90 each so that is about $540 right there. My Dad paid $1120 tax in at the dealership last year for the same thing on his car (2014 Camry). How do you get $300 for parts and how good is the quality?

The place that quoted me $900 said if I wanted OEM, there would be a price difference.
$293 all in at www.maxbrakescanada.com I know others have complained about them, but so far I'm really impressed with their coated rotors. Maybe the complaints came from their cheaper uncoated rotors?

You might also be able to find similar pricing at rockauto.com
Whatever you get, go for coated rotors. Even OEM rotors rust horribly unless they're coated, or on Teslas.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4100 posts
6124 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Buy some cheap Chinesium garbage like Max Brakes/Economy RockAuto and get iGarage to swap them out.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Parts $300+ $200 labor max $500.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
mxthor3 wrote: Buy some cheap Chinesium garbage like Max Brakes/Economy RockAuto and get iGarage to swap them out.
I think you missed the part where I said that I want to get quiet, good quality parts and not looking for the cheapest option.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I checked out Rock Auto for the following options:

Front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 0&pt=13824

Rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 0&pt=13824

The parts are $255 and the shipping is $165 and after tax it is $475. I am not sure where you guys are telling me $300.

What parts should I get and how are they compared to OEM when it comes to stopping power, noise and longevity?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2008
1184 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal
@Hightech on RockAuto purchasing individual parts often results in lower shipping.

Last year I purchase pad and rotor for our 2019 Highlander and 2017 Prius, I got the parts from RockAuto and the Wrench Monkey. The prices have gone up. Once you get the PN you want google them to find the best deal. That's fine when DIY installing but I think local shops don't like or want to deal with customer purchased parts. They can't offer warranty on something they did not purchase and then there is the added issue of what if the parts you bring are wrong or defective.

I replaced the pads and rotors on the Highlander this July , drove 5000 KM on Element 3 and I like them, no noise or dust complaints. Pads are hybrid so I did follow the bedding procedure here :
https://www.brakepartsinc.com/dam/jcr:f ... ishing.pdf

While installing a did notice a slight quality different in the mounting hardware, the OEM Toyota wear indicators were better quality so I re-used them and omitted the ones in the Raybestos kit.

Another thing you should factor in, is rear parking brakes. Do you use them do they need servicing. The Highlander uses a similar rear disc / with rotor and drum parking brake a major pain in the butt to adjust. Just did the job myself and it require removing lower dash assembly to get at the adjusting nuts on the parking brake. I had the dealership adjust the parking brakes last year, I got charged for it but I felt no difference. This year did it myself and it better. ( I have a wife who always deploys the parking brake at max setting every time she parks the car, result cable stretch )
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
LG Auto in markahm has a good deal on brakes, and they take credit card (I prefer cash, but that's a different story). They take appointments and work weekends.

They do good work and have tons of good reviews.

RFD igarage hard-on engage!!
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
my first preference would be iGarage, but if you need service on the weekend and paying with credit card, the dealer would probably be okay. Keep in mind they might charge you for the shim kit at the dealer which is like 50-60$ on top (x2).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
Jigsaw wrote: my first preference would be iGarage, but if you need service on the weekend and paying with credit card, the dealer would probably be okay. Keep in mind they might charge you for the shim kit at the dealer which is like 50-60$ on top (x2).
Why would you repeat a garage OP has already said no to? There are 2 other posts mentioning the same place.

There are other mechanics out there. Not just igarbage and the dealer.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3374 posts
6362 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Parts = $540 for OEM
Brake fluid = $15
Brake grease = $10

Total = $565

Floor jack - $150
Jack stands - $40
Chocks -$30
Ratchet set - $150
Breaker bar -$20
Torque wrench - $30

Total = $420

Total = $1000, but you have the tools for life and will save a bunch doing your own oil changes, tire rotations, brakes, suspension, etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
If you are in Richmond Hill, you can try Lucky 8 Auto - ask for Barry.

They are open on Sat until 1:30pm and take credit card.

Not the cheapest but they do honest quality work. Barry will thoroughly explain what he is seeing, will either show you or take a vid to show you.

Lucky 8 Auto
365 Enford Rd - Unit 1
Richmond Hill, ONT
L4C 3G2
905-237-5383

Sharing my recent quote I got for my 2012 Ford brake work:

Change front pads, rotors and right front caliper (current one is seized)
$950 + HST

Rear pads & rotors
$450 + HST

I ended up going somewhere else as I had something I needed to get done too and was cheaper for the brake work but I wouldn’t hesitate to go to Lucky 8.

Hope this helps!

Forgot to mention Lucky 8 has an old school arcade with over a thousand games on it in the waiting area. So cool!
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
You have the ability! If you have a few hours to do the work and would invest in a few basic tools you're fine. Rotors and pads do not require the extensive list of tools and minimal anti-seize and lubricants.

Flushing the brakes is a bit more involved but can be done with minimal tools. Maybe that is step 2.

I found that Princess Auto offers a good range at decent prices - better if on sale - but many other sites available.

Parts and fluids: I'd budget approx. $450 to purchase yourself

Those old rotors may be stuck on pretty good but until you try you don't know.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3374 posts
6362 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Badbrad wrote: You have the ability! If you have a few hours to do the work and would invest in a few basic tools you're fine. Rotors and pads do not require the extensive list of tools and minimal anti-seize and lubricants.

Flushing the brakes is a bit more involved but can be done with minimal tools. Maybe that is step 2.

I found that Princess Auto offers a good range at decent prices - better if on sale - but many other sites available.

Parts and fluids: I'd budget approx. $450 to purchase yourself

Those old rotors may be stuck on pretty good but until you try you don't know.
Toyota should have 2 M8 X1.25mm holes for bolts to pop the rotors off easily, 30 cents each at Home Depot or Lowes. Also your neighbours won't hate you, lol.