Automotive

Brake light / 3rd brake light flasher - improves safety or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2020 4:03 pm

Poll: Does a 3rd brake light flasher improve safety?

• Total votes: 41. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

51%
I don't think it makes any difference to safety

24%
I think it *hurts* safety

24%

Poll ended at Mar 18th, 2020 1:18 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2847 posts
1154 upvotes
GTA

Brake light / 3rd brake light flasher - improves safety or not?

Just started seeing a few of these on my daily grind, folks will have a flasher wired into their 3rd brake light (or even a formula 1 style low mounted light) so they get 2-5 flashes before their brake light stays solid.

Do you think this improves safety, hurts it, or is irrelevant?
28 replies
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
If it helps bring attention to brakes, sure. I think the best thing that could be done is pressure sensitive brake lights. There is a big difference between a full on emergency brake, and slowing down. But yet, they both look the same in terms of brake lights.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11053 posts
7421 upvotes
GTA, ON
I don't care as long as there's at least more than one operating brake light. There are too many idiots on the road who don't properly maintain their vehicle and only have one (if any) working brake lights.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1723 posts
929 upvotes
Durham
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: If it helps bring attention to brakes, sure. I think the best thing that could be done is pressure sensitive brake lights. There is a big difference between a full on emergency brake, and slowing down. But yet, they both look the same in terms of brake lights.
BMW has been doing pressure sensitive brake lights for awhile. Since 2006 at a minimum. I think they call it adaptive brake lights

As for the flashing, I saw it on a car and it is really annoying and honestly blinding. Imagine a Euro rear fog on a non-foggy day flashing rapidly. Maybe it would be better if it was lower on the bumper.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1708 posts
1082 upvotes
Ottawa
Kkhan15 wrote: BMW has been doing pressure sensitive brake lights for awhile. Since 2006 at a minimum. I think they call it adaptive brake lights

As for the flashing, I saw it on a car and it is really annoying and honestly blinding. Imagine a Euro rear fog on a non-foggy day flashing rapidly. Maybe it would be better if it was lower on the bumper.
Brake force display. You can code it to different slowing threshold but a separate bulb/led that is not normally used will light up and flash in addition to the solid regular brake lights to indicate a quick stop.
Jun 2, 2009
261 posts
86 upvotes
It's annoying that they flash at EVERY tap. If it only activated on hard braking then I think there is value.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4362 posts
2023 upvotes
Toronto
I think it might depend on the frequency and duration of the flash. Any flashing is more likely to get your attention. And colour might be a factor.
I personally find it more difficult to judge distance on something that is rapidly or brightly flashing than slower amber 4-ways.

Following a tow truck that has bright white LED's flashing back at you does more to impair your vision than it does to warn you of their location.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Nov 2, 2015
981 posts
406 upvotes
Markham
Not in GTA or highway 401 rush hour

it made me headache with constant flash and crash them
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34543 posts
20588 upvotes
Center of Universe
No, a solid red is perfectly fine.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11685 posts
6277 upvotes
Brampton
a16107 wrote: Not in GTA or highway 401 rush hour

it made me headache with constant flash and crash them
Exactly! In theory it's better.

However in the GTA it's just annoying. I got stuck behind one of these guys on the DVP one time. It was the most annoying shit ever.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1439 posts
1794 upvotes
Extra brake lights, brighter brake lights, flashing brake lights - all work great - when only a few vehicles have them. When everyone has them it just produces visual overload and clutter that IMHO eliminates any benefit and potentially reduces safety due to more sources of distraction.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3864 posts
3982 upvotes
GTA
I've been stuck behind a car with flashing brake lights in gridlock. It's incredibly annoying.
Dec 4, 2017
277 posts
252 upvotes
Although annoying I rather see a set of flashing brake lights than drivers especially in Japanese cars who don't turn on their taillights at all. People who don't turn on their taillights should be banned on all roads.

What blinds me the most are those spectacularly bright Corolla OEM LED lights. Especially if the Corolla is slightly below grade, you're across from the Corolla both on the left turn lanes. Good 30 seconds of blindness while waiting at the lights. I have look away.