Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
3 posts
Mississauga, ON

Brake pad replacement costs and labour?

Hello,

My mechanic charged me $250 dollars for replacing my front and rear brake pads. The cost included labour already. He said he used premium
ceramic brake pads (TOVASTY) brand which by the way I haven't seen a google review yet. According to him, the brake pads are usually used by BMW and my car is only
a Honda haha. I called the auto store where he usually gets his parts and they told me the TOVASTY brake pads cost around $90 tops (front and brake pads).So basically he charged me $160 for labour. He finished for less than an hour. Is the price fair or not?

I went to this mechanic because he is highly recommended by some guys here. BY the way, the price does not include rotors since he said I don't need it yet. He told me if I need one in the future he will charge me $150 for everything.

So did I get a good deal or not? Or maybe next time I should check another mechanic?

How much did it cost for you guys to replace your brake pads (front and rear)

Thank you.
22 replies
Apr 8, 2010
785 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
$160 for labour plus his mark up on parts sounds decent.

i do it myself and get decent parts so parts alone for front would be around $200 including rotors. i know i know i can get else where for cheaper like max brakes etc etc
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2039 upvotes
BC
Looks like Tovasty is a relative newcomer in the N. American market.

The German connection is that they have a couple of R&D people who used to work for Textar or others in the old country.

If a BMW used Tovasty pads it would probably be the low-metallic line and not the ceramic ones you had fitted.

They seem to be headquartered in Mississauga but it is not clear where the pads are actually manufactured.

They look fine to me, and the price was reasonable.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
There are a few reputable shops that can do front brakes (premium pads and rotors) for $230-250.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
No need to ask RFD cost of labour because we all have someone's uncle that can do it for fraction of the cost.

Best place to call and compare is your dealership. They will tell you how much pads costs and labour to do it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21677 upvotes
Center of Universe
meowkiss wrote: Hello,

My mechanic charged me $250 dollars for replacing my front and rear brake pads. The cost included labour already. He said he used premium
ceramic brake pads (TOVASTY) brand which by the way I haven't seen a google review yet. According to him, the brake pads are usually used by BMW and my car is only
a Honda haha. I called the auto store where he usually gets his parts and they told me the TOVASTY brake pads cost around $90 tops (front and brake pads).So basically he charged me $160 for labour. He finished for less than an hour. Is the price fair or not?

I went to this mechanic because he is highly recommended by some guys here. BY the way, the price does not include rotors since he said I don't need it yet. He told me if I need one in the future he will charge me $150 for everything.

So did I get a good deal or not? Or maybe next time I should check another mechanic?

How much did it cost for you guys to replace your brake pads (front and rear)

Thank you.
Essentially he charges $160/hr; which is more than some stealership rates...quite high!
Apr 8, 2010
785 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
vkizzle wrote: Essentially he charges $160/hr; which is more than some stealership rates...quite high!
can't think like that. garages for the most part will charge you book time. suspect book time on replacing pad front and rear is about 1.5 - 2 hrs. so if it takes them 10 minutes, they'll still charge the book time. if it takes them 4 hrs, they'll charge 4 hrs
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21677 upvotes
Center of Universe
denti72 wrote: can't think like that. garages for the most part will charge you book time. suspect book time on replacing pad front and rear is about 1.5 - 2 hrs. so if it takes them 10 minutes, they'll still charge the book time. if it takes them 4 hrs, they'll charge 4 hrs
Which is no different than a stealership and why would we go to indy garages if their hourly rate is not competitive?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2039 upvotes
BC
denti72 wrote: ..... will charge you book time ......... if it takes them 4 hrs, they'll charge 4 hrs
Didn't you mean to say "they'll charge you 2 hrs. (book time)"?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
macnut wrote: Didn't you mean to say "they'll charge you 2 hrs. (book time)"?
Yea, they had an newbie working on the car, no need to pay extra.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4638 upvotes
Montreal
denti72 wrote: can't think like that. garages for the most part will charge you book time. suspect book time on replacing pad front and rear is about 1.5 - 2 hrs. so if it takes them 10 minutes, they'll still charge the book time. if it takes them 4 hrs, they'll charge 4 hrs
What you just described is called fraud and the real reason some mechanics are hated more than salesmen.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1273 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
$250 for front AND rear brake pads? and labour?

sounds about right. hopefully he did the caliper service as well while he was in there.

not bad at all.
Jun 21, 2006
818 posts
424 upvotes
The cost isnt too bad as long as the job is done right
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5706 posts
1882 upvotes
Space
+1, price seems reasonable as well. No one works for free.
iGarage wrote: The cost isnt too bad as long as the job is done right
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
179 upvotes
You can always go to wal mart if you think those prices are too high.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
3 posts
Mississauga, ON
Well thanks everyone for the input.

The reason I am asking is because this is the first time I have changed my brake pads so I don't know what is the norm.

I don't mind paying as long as they do a decent job but lately even mechanics who are highly recommended here seem to charge the same or even higher than the dealership.
Hence, the question.

Anyhow, thanks for your answers. At least I know if it's a fair price or not and I have the option of going back or look for another mechanic.

You guys have a nice day!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
meowkiss wrote: Well thanks everyone for the input.

The reason I am asking is because this is the first time I have changed my brake pads so I don't know what is the norm.

I don't mind paying as long as they do a decent job but lately even mechanics who are highly recommended here seem to charge the same or even higher than the dealership.
Hence, the question.

Anyhow, thanks for your answers. At least I know if it's a fair price or not and I have the option of going back or look for another mechanic.

You guys have a nice day!
Did you really called the dealership for a quote?
[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
3 posts
Mississauga, ON
peteryorkuca wrote: Did you really called the dealership for a quote?
I did, the brake pads almost cost the same around $90 in total and the labour they said is $169.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3093 posts
1216 upvotes
How often should brake pads be replaced? Last year I had L&G Auto do a full brake job on my car and this past week the brakes have been really noisy. I have driven about 16,000km since getting the brakes done.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
meowkiss wrote: I did, the brake pads almost cost the same around $90 in total and the labour they said is $169.
If you think dealership will do front and rear for $259, go for it.