• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2016 9:07 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
2176 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga

Brake pads and rotors for BMW 328i

Rear pads are nonexistent and Front ones have about 30k kms left on them. Didn't trip the sensor yet.
Should I just replace both rear and front ?
Should I buy parts from the dealer or can I source aftermarket ones ? (within Canada, don't want to ship from the states) Any recommendations ?
Thank you
30 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
do the rear ones. Just don't get the textar if you can. Some of them are now made in china and my mechanic said they squeak lot more than say OEM or any other brand

If you source aftermarket ones, get a quote from Germanparts.ca as they are running BF sale now until next monday

https://order.germanparts.ca/
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
Search button, this topic has been discussed very often
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
hey OP, i recommend the ceramic ones if you choose aftermarket. you will love the fact that there's less brake dust.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
krypton wrote: Rear pads are nonexistent and Front ones have about 30k kms left on them. Didn't trip the sensor yet.
Should I just replace both rear and front ?
Should I buy parts from the dealer or can I source aftermarket ones ? (within Canada, don't want to ship from the states) Any recommendations ?
Thank you
1. Never rely on sensors to tell you. Always check manually. This should be checked everytime you swap tires (summer/winter) or during tire rotation.
2. You can replace just the front but should be similar material as the existing rear pads.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
2176 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the input.
What is a recommended brand if I go aftermarket ?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
I just put on some centric ceramic pads from rock auto, very low dust compared to stock pads a week in. A little more pedal effort, but most won't notice after a day or two. Under 100 for boh axel's.

On the other 3, I'm running some stop tech sports, still less dust then stock, but a bit more then the ceramics so far, but more stopping power. They were 120-130 for both pairs.

I like germanparts for most things, but on pads rockauto has better options imo.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
Just remembered, I still have the rear bmw OEM rear pads from the e90 323i, the have about 8mo of use on them, lots of meat left but wanted to match the new fronts so they were replaced, if you want them I'd let them go for $20, just shoot me a pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I notice that ECS Tuning, to their credit, do mention that ceramic pads have some metallic content in the fiction material. It's just a less amount than in O.E. organic pads.

This maybe helps to counter the very noticeable effect of less "initial bite". Not sure how much metallic content there is in other ceramic pads - the vendors never seem to disclose much.

However, I do wonder about ECS Tuning's mention of "drastically increased brake rotor life". Surely, you can't have your cake and eat it too?

Something has got to wear down in order to have traditional BMW braking performance.

Is it because ceramic is a much more effective friction material and even if the dust amount is the same it is less noticeable?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Centric high carbon rotors
Stoptech ceramics
Procurement via rock auto

That is all
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
2176 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
Have to pay duty fees and higher shipping fees if buying from ECS Tuning. Is it worth it compared to germanparts ? Any other vendors ?
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
I'm actually stunned to see the uninformed unanimously recommending ceramic pads here. Ceramics are absolutely inferior to semi-metallic in every way regarding performance and stopping power especially in our cold climate. Why anyone would trade off shorter braking distances (specifically in the cold) and overall better performance for some dust baffles me.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1451 posts
811 upvotes
Torontario
ottofly wrote: I'm actually stunned to see the uninformed unanimously recommending ceramic pads here. Ceramics are absolutely inferior to semi-metallic in every way regarding performance and stopping power especially in our cold climate. Why anyone would trade off shorter braking distances (specifically in the cold) and overall better performance for some dust baffles me.
oh thanks - so once I pulled some useful information, people are ready to jump with judgement. No need but actually with no counter-useful information.
So - here's me: while inferior once it breaks in, ceramic pads (if properly installed) show good enough for regular driving. I personally have OEM from dealer, where on driving other peoples' similar cars I can say ceramics work reasonably well minus the black stuff

hence - does somebody has a view on EBC's GreenStuff, RedStuff and similar?
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
ohnabatko wrote: oh thanks - so once I pulled some useful information, people are ready to jump with judgement. No need but actually with no counter-useful information.
So - here's me: while inferior once it breaks in, ceramic pads (if properly installed) show good enough for regular driving. I personally have OEM from dealer, where on driving other peoples' similar cars I can say ceramics work reasonably well minus the black stuff

hence - does somebody has a view on EBC's GreenStuff, RedStuff and similar?
What judgement, it is a fact ceramics are totally inferior to semi-metallic in terms of performance. There is nothing for me to counter and I won't go into the science as I don't need to. A simple Google search exists for that. Sure you can use them for regular driving, your braking distances will increase. IMO trading overall better performance and shorter distances for cleaner wheels is preposterous. There is a reason most cars come with metallic pads as OEM but go ahead and use whatever you want. I'm sure everyone will be impressed at your spotless wheels.
Jul 25, 2015
912 posts
734 upvotes
Just replaced my rear pads and rotors on my 328. The side with the sensor on was wearing a lot faster than the other pads. Not suppose to grease the piston bolts but I greased it anyways. We'll see if they're still sticking when I change to my summer tires.

Swapped them out with Akebono pads with Meyle rotors.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
2176 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
I guess I'll go with germanparts to avoid import fees.
For rotors, there are 2 options: zimmermann and and brembo
for pads, there are TRW, ABT, Textar, Brembo, Jurid
suggestions?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Just so you know, there's minimal import fees with rock auto. I priced out brakes for my whip and I'd pay like $20 CAD in duty on $400 of parts.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao