Automotive

Brake Rotor suggestion for 2016 Odyssey

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 11:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1069 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto

Brake Rotor suggestion for 2016 Odyssey

Hello,

I am looking to change the rear rotors of a 2016 Odyssey. Any suggestions on brands and places to get them? RockAuto is asking for $5x.xx just for shipping.
Last edited by mohitk on Jul 16th, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4424 posts
2929 upvotes
mohitk wrote: Hello,

I am looking to change the rear rotors of a 2016 Odyssey. Any suggestions on brands and places to get them? RockAuto is asking for $50+ shipping.
$50 plus shipping isn't cheap enough?
Newbie
Jul 5, 2008
23 posts
3 upvotes
edmonton
I have had good luck with centric rotors with e-coating(2008 Honda accord v6). I purchased them from Rock auto and even with duty & shipping cost, Rock Auto was the cheapest. Good luck.
Member
Dec 4, 2017
473 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Rock Auto ships from multiple warehouses around the USA. Hope you tried putting other rotors individually to guess if it's coming from a warehouse closer to you.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
It's unlikely you will find the same quality, with the same ease, at a better price than Rockauto.

I like the Raybestos Element3 rotors that I just put one on one of my cars. Not so impressed with Brembo aftermarket on the other car.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1069 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: $50 plus shipping isn't cheap enough?
Should have been clearer - a Centric rotor is $46 per piece but they want $5x.xx shipping for a set of two.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7467 upvotes
Brampton
Can you find a cheaper rotor locally? If you don't care about quality then get Max Brakes and you can come complain about it by December of this year.

Too bad Canadian Tire stopped carrying the ATE PremiumOneRotor that was actually a good rotor that went on sale frequently at Canadian Tire.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1069 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Can you find a cheaper rotor locally? If you don't care about quality then get Max Brakes and you can come complain about it by December of this year.

Too bad Canadian Tire stopped carrying the ATE PremiumOneRotor that was actually a good rotor that went on sale frequently at Canadian Tire.
Last time I changed brakes, I let the shop decide on what to put in and the results were bad. This time I want to do better so am trying to get suggestions on what to use. I have no idea about brands locally available.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2988 posts
835 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
You can also try shipping them to a place like cross border pickups. Since it's under the new USMCA limit, you probably won't be charged taxes/duties. You will just have to pay for the package to be sent here which will be around $10-$15 depending on the weight of the package.

As an alternative, check out partsavatar. Their pricing seems to be decent as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7467 upvotes
Brampton
mohitk wrote: Last time I changed brakes, I let the shop decide on what to put in and the results were bad. This time I want to do better so am trying to get suggestions on what to use. I have no idea about brands locally available.
Your van is 2016 and it's already on it's second set of brakes?

Honestly what I would do is use Honda pads from the dealer if You could get a good deal. There are pretty decent.
If not cheap.
Get Akebono from RockAuto. Those are closest to OE without "braking" the bank. If you look it's actually more expensive than the "Premium" options.

Get Centric or Raybesto Rotors under the "Coated" section of RA.

This will get you closest to the original parts without breaking the bank.

Before you order you should call up your local parts desk to see what the costs are. Sometimes, SOMETIMES, very rarely you might be able to get pads cheaper than from RA shipped.

You might as well Order some brake fluid and get the brakes flushed as well. I believe Honda uses DOT4 now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1069 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Your van is 2016 and it's already on it's second set of brakes?

Honestly what I would do is use Honda pads from the dealer if You could get a good deal. There are pretty decent.
If not cheap.
Get Akebono from RockAuto. Those are closest to OE without "braking" the bank. If you look it's actually more expensive than the "Premium" options.

Get Centric or Raybesto Rotors under the "Coated" section of RA.

This will get you closest to the original parts without breaking the bank.

Before you order you should call up your local parts desk to see what the costs are. Sometimes, SOMETIMES, very rarely you might be able to get pads cheaper than from RA shipped.

You might as well Order some brake fluid and get the brakes flushed as well. I believe Honda uses DOT4 now.
Nope... That was for another car. This is the first change at 72K. I think I will stick to Akebono / Centric combination that everyone suggests.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8167 posts
5084 upvotes
Mississauga
bargain man wrote: You can also try shipping them to a place like cross border pickups. Since it's under the new USMCA limit, you probably won't be charged taxes/duties. You will just have to pay for the package to be sent here which will be around $10-$15 depending on the weight of the package.
With the border shut tight until the end of August, that sounds like a bad idea.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7467 upvotes
Brampton
mohitk wrote: Nope... That was for another car. This is the first change at 72K. I think I will stick to Akebono / Centric combination that everyone suggests.
Are you sure you even need new Rotors?

Lots of people Don't do this but I did. My stock rotors after 120k KM were still very beefy (even after 200K they were still within spec) so I had them turned very quickly ( they were still mostly true the turning just prepped the surface) I just replaced the pad with stock pads I got at the dealer because after shipping I was barely saving $50.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1069 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Are you sure you even need new Rotors?

Lots of people Don't do this but I did. My stock rotors after 120k KM were still very beefy (even after 200K they were still within spec) so I had them turned very quickly ( they were still mostly true the turning just prepped the surface) I just replaced the pad with stock pads I got at the dealer because after shipping I was barely saving $50.
That was recommended by the shop. OE Honda rotors are not that great. Yes the saving is in $50 range but that's like one third of cost and people generally feel Akebono + centric works better than the OE set so I think I will try that.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2988 posts
835 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
mrweather wrote: With the border shut tight until the end of August, that sounds like a bad idea.
businesses are still operating. Got an email from CBP that they are still processing packages.

Might be a delay here or there, but don't expect any issues.

I personally received an order yesterday from B&H which shipped from NYC.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 22, 2005
3985 posts
3176 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you need pads at the same time? This EBC RK rotors and Greenstuff pads kit is not bad for $193 direct from Amazon. It would be similar in cost to Centric coated rotors and Akebono ACT1281 plus shipping from RA. Check to make sure that the kit is a correct fit for your car. RA is still shipping parts to Canada during the pandemic and I didn't notice any delays receiving parts from them.
https://www.amazon.ca/EBC-Brakes-S14KR1 ... B00YAZZ39E
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
gumby wrote: Do you need pads at the same time? This EBC RK rotors and Greenstuff pads kit is not bad for $193 direct from Amazon. It would be similar in cost to Centric coated rotors and Akebono ACT1281 plus shipping from RA. Check to make sure that the kit is a correct fit for your car. RA is still shipping parts to Canada during the pandemic and I didn't notice any delays receiving parts from them.
https://www.amazon.ca/EBC-Brakes-S14KR1 ... B00YAZZ39E
This is exactly the kit I was looking at for my car, I have had great experiences with EBC brake pads for motorcycles.

But I have no experience with their auto products. Does anyone have ordered it?
______________________________
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
mohitk wrote: Should have been clearer - a Centric rotor is $46 per piece but they want $5x.xx shipping for a set of two.
Call some local part stores and see how much they want for Centric rotors. If anyone even carries them.

Even with the shipping cost, Rockauto usually comes out ahead. And you have control over the quality of parts you get.

When you're on the phone with the local shops, pay attention to what they tell you. You'll tell them you want rotors for your car, and they'll tell you the price. That's it. Maybe they'll give you an option between "economy" and "premium". Whatever those are. See how they react when you ask what kind of rotors they are. You'll just get the brand. Then you'll have to ask again what model as there are several different quality levels with each brand. Then they start getting annoyed with you. It's a pretty tedious process.

If you care about quality parts, Rockauto is the only way to go. Or maybe Amazon, or PartsMonkey, or PartsAvatar once you know what you want.

But most people only care about cheap and don't care about anything else. So that's what local stores cater to.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 22, 2005
3985 posts
3176 upvotes
Ottawa
Heavy items incur high shipping cost from RA so I'll try to avoid them unless there are no other options. Brake rotors can ususally be sourced from Canada for a lower total cost. I got shocks from RA even with high shipping cost because nobody in Canada can offer the ones I want for close to what I can get from RA.

Amazon has quality brake rotors for surprisingly cheap prices if you can snag them at the right time. Coated rotors for rust resistance are not usually found anywhere in Canada at reasonable prices except from RA.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1069 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone ever heard of Bremsen rotors? A local store is offering them for $50 each for coated rotors.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)