• May 12th, 2021 9:48 pm
[OP]
Oct 18, 2012
188 posts
12 upvotes
GTA

Brakes change - rotor or pads

Hello Everyone,

I have driven 85k on my 2016 Honda Civic and have had the vehicle for 4+ years. Recently I got some codes on dashboard and one of them was to check on brakes.

My local mechanic inspected brakes and advised of some rust and no pads left. Usually while driving, I don’t hear any weird sounds while applying any brakes.

When is it usually recommended to change brakes ? It will cost around $1200 but looking for some other cheaper options. But obviously don’t want to risk anything.

Any advise or suggestions?
TIA
22 replies
Oct 25, 2020
292 posts
212 upvotes
If there is no pad left then you need pads. Rotors can sometimes be reused depending on condition. If they're a trusted mechanic I'd listen to their recommendations. Sometimes a second opinion from a different shop is a good idea if you aren't familiar with a shop. Some places will try and hose you for money on uneeded services.

You would need to visually inspect the rotor. If they're rusty, grooved and have lips or edges on the face they should be replaced/resurfaced.
Last edited by MyGoToUserName on May 12th, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 29, 2017
270 posts
200 upvotes
If your mechanic told you there are no pads left shouldn't that be the sign to change them? The dash board said to as well, but I would ask the guys at igarage to chagne them for you if you're in Toronto or close. I can't say what they will charge for a honda, but I recall for rear brakes on a mazda 3 they use raybestos coated rotors and ceramic pads about 300
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1666 upvotes
Clarington, ON
windywalks wrote: Hello Everyone,

I have driven 85k on my 2016 Honda Civic and have had the vehicle for 4+ years. Recently I got some codes on dashboard and one of them was to check on brakes.

My local mechanic inspected brakes and advised of some rust and no pads left. Usually while driving, I don’t hear any weird sounds while applying any brakes.

When is it usually recommended to change brakes ? It will cost around $1200 but looking for some other cheaper options. But obviously don’t want to risk anything.

Any advise or suggestions?
TIA
No pads could suggest that they are down to a thickness that they will soon start causing damage if not repaired.

Often rotors are cheap enough to do while everything is apart that it’s almost foolish not to.

When to change brakes? When they are worn out. I run 120km on the highway and use the brakes 4-5 times each way. Someone with a city commute may use brakes much more. On a past car I was over 200k before I needed to change.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2012
188 posts
12 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the reply. When I called the dealership or any mechanic, they asked me if I am hearing some sort of sound.

What sort of sounds am I supposed to hear or notice any triggers that will tell me that it's time to change the brakes ?
Nov 18, 2019
211 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
Your brake pads have a piece of metal on the side that scratches your rotors when the pads are worn down enough and time for a change. You will hear a metal on metal screech everytime you apply the brakes.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19091 upvotes
Oakville
windywalks wrote: Thanks for the reply. When I called the dealership or any mechanic, they asked me if I am hearing some sort of sound.

What sort of sounds am I supposed to hear or notice any triggers that will tell me that it's time to change the brakes ?
You may hear some metal scratching/squealing sounds.

$1200 seems like quite a lot for civic brakes. I assume that's for all 4 corners pads and rotors?

If you don't trust your mechanic's opinion, then you need to check yourself, or post pics here and we'll tell you.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
May 2, 2017
906 posts
1204 upvotes
windywalks wrote: Thanks for the reply. When I called the dealership or any mechanic, they asked me if I am hearing some sort of sound.

Eventually you'll start hearing a squealing (metal on metal), but you don't want to wear your brakes out to that point.

If your car told you the brakes are low, they are low. On a lot of cars (but not all), the brake pads have a small wire embedded in them that gets worn away and eventually cut when the brakes wear out. When the car sees that the wire has been cut, it tells you to replace your brakes. So you can probably trust both your car and the mechanic saying there's no pad left in this case.

Usually most people replace pads and rotors at the same time now. Sometimes you can get the rotors machined, but the cost to machine them is nearly the same cost as a new rotor now, especially on something like a Civic where new rotors won't be too expensive.

If you're concerned about cost, call around to a few independent mechanics and ask them for their price to do the pads and rotors on all 4 corners. You can likely get it done for much less than $1200.
Dec 21, 2017
286 posts
47 upvotes
Scarborough
Should be a half price the 1200$

The other day i did MDX for a friend, Pads and rotors got them for around 200$ tax in from local store, and another 250$ for labor at a local shop.

1200$ seems overkill even for a luxury with aftermarket brakes :)
Sep 25, 2018
869 posts
1617 upvotes
2016 Honda Civic does not have any sensors on the brake pads to detect its life. You probably get the notification from the Maintenance Minder (MM) as your mileage has reached a certain point that you should get your brakes check. However MM would have no idea how much brakes you have left. I agree with others that when to change heavy depends on your driving style. And that $1200 is almost dealer price (with OEM parts). A third party mechanic shouldn't charge that much, unless they are taking advantage of you. Looking at the price of rotors and pads below, all together should be around $300+shipping. I don't know the shop time for brake change but online people say 2-4 hours. At $120 an hour, that's about $300-500. So the shop is charging you $400-600 mark up on the parts.

If you change tires yourself, you will have enough tools to change the brakes yourself as well. Here are the guides:
https://www.paulstravelpictures.com/201 ... index.html
https://www.paulstravelpictures.com/201 ... index.html

If you are interested in buying the part yourself or just to know the price:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hon ... e+pad,1684
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hon ... rotor,1896

You can also check how much pads you have left by peeking into the wheels. Here's a picture of a mine (same car different year), I only showed you one side, remember to check on all four corners:
https://imgur.com/a/hWumVqL
Oct 16, 2019
178 posts
88 upvotes
Change what needs to be changed. Last winter my mechanic told me the rear rotors are rusts and only 10 % life left, then I changed the rear rotors only for 350 dollars. Brakes are important, if it needs to be changed, then change it.
Oct 2, 2018
940 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
When I get my brakes done these days I always replace both pads and rotors. $1,200 seems very expensive it's obviously a dealership where you are dealing with. I use my local non dealership mechanic who is half of what a dealership charges.

You should get more wear time on your rear brakes so perhaps change out the front and prolong another year or two for the rear, worth asking the question.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1792 posts
2229 upvotes
Barrie, ON
85k? Rotors and pads. Buy them at RockAuto and get somewhere to install them if you can't do it yourself. Will not even be close to $1200.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5745 posts
3261 upvotes
Toronto
Are you going to drive until backing plate touches the rotors so that you can hear the noise? If you trust your tech and he said no pads and you never done your brakes in 80k kms, the low pad sensor obviously broke off.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18855 posts
2537 upvotes
Woodbridge
$1200

You need a new mechanic. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1992 posts
1007 upvotes
Ontario
Covid pricing strikes again, lol... Sorry your mechanic is a thief...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Oct 21, 2006
750 posts
501 upvotes
Last year I paid around $250 labour for pads rotors all around. In terms of parts you can get very good pads and rotors (akebono pads, raybestos or centric rotors, etc) for prob 200-250 from rockauto. Maybe another $80-100 if to flush the brake fluid if that hasn't been done in the past 4-5yrs. So really you should be looking at HALF of the quoted $1200. I agree 100% with the posters above, it would appear that covid prices / stealership strikes again!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2424 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
Op should get a detailed accounting of the quote for 1200.00 and share the info here...

It seems totally out of line for a Honda Civic even with a total replacement at all 4 corners, as many have noted. Maybe the price includes gold leaf on the caliphers... LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1062 posts
1340 upvotes
Calgary
DIY

Pad slap if rotors are still good ~$50
Rotors and pads ~ $250

Brakes aren’t that hard and there plenty of videos online on how to do them if your a noob
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6479 posts
2811 upvotes
West GTEH!
I just changed out Both Rear Rotors & Pads for @$300 (Tax Incl.).

As others have mentioned $1,200 seems expensive. Even if it's for ALL 4 wheels.
😎