Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3067 posts
1105 upvotes
Lévis

Brakes for prius, guinine toyota?

Toyota charges 555$+tx to change my rear disks and pads on my prius 2010. More expansive than what a mechanic will charge. Is it wort it? I mean if I pay 60% of the toyota price but get 60% (or less) of quality, I consider it to be the same price/quality (or less).
Pourquoi pas?
18 replies
Jan 23, 2014
294 posts
199 upvotes
Markham
get parts from rockauto.com then get another quotes for labor for ur trusted independent garage.
May 23, 2007
559 posts
247 upvotes
Kanata
Id go with OEM Toyota parts. Parts alone from Toyota are probably around $300.....how long did the originals last you?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2387 posts
1515 upvotes
GTA
z613 wrote: Id go with OEM Toyota parts. Parts alone from Toyota are probably around $300.....how long did the originals last you?
From the stealership? $300 probably gets you the pads only. Wont be enough for pads and rotors.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10303 posts
10499 upvotes
Toronto
Go to rockauto, buy racecar pads for $50 and racecar rotors for $100 (2x), then go to a mechanic that charges $80-$100 per axle, and have the rears done for like $250. As a bonus, you'll have racecar pads and rotors.

OEM toyota doesn't mean anything, it just means you bought toyota parts that are marked up 10000000%.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18012 posts
17064 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Upvoted for using the word BRAKES and not BREAKS like most idiots.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3067 posts
1105 upvotes
Lévis
z613 wrote: Id go with OEM Toyota parts. Parts alone from Toyota are probably around $300.....how long did the originals last you?
Cannot answer your question because I don't really remember and baugh the car it was already 3 years old. I did change the brakEs at Toyota once and found the bill salty. Since then they are now done at the indepedant garage, not always the same. But if I don't annually maintain my brakes, they will last a few years at most.
Pourquoi pas?
May 12, 2011
263 posts
171 upvotes
TO
OEM pads are not cheap, 2 pairs cost you around 120. I will skip the disks if they are smooth and within spec.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5085 posts
6668 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Drive a prius the way it's intended, and the brakes should last you the lifetime of the vehicle unless you are using it commercially.

Just don't drive in front of me.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
er34er34 wrote: Drive a prius the way it's intended, and the brakes should last you the lifetime of the vehicle unless you are using it commercially.

+1, also go to Rockauto and local mechanic for parts/price.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Oct 19, 2003
308 posts
93 upvotes
Get Akebono pads..and coated rotors..Akebono is OEM for many manufacturers they are great stock hard wearing and quiet pads..trust me you can never go wrong with them.. rock auto is the best place to get them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3067 posts
1105 upvotes
Lévis
er34er34 wrote: Drive a prius the way it's intended, and the brakes should last you the lifetime of the vehicle unless you are using it commercially.

Well, I certainly don't drive a prius "the way it's intended" but my drivng is "normal". Like I said, the problem is if I skip the annual brakes maintenances even a bit, they will rust too much and last only a few years. Thus my questioning: will Toyota OEM parts will rust less?

Nevertheless, the mechanic changed them for Napa premium A parts and prices are decents compared to rockauto (but not as good).

On the other side, the 12v battery cost me 300$...

That being said, lots of good advices here. Will order parts from rockauto when my front brakes will be dues. Now I only need to find a place where I can find a navigation map update at a decent price because for that, toyota are definitely a bunch of crooks...

Thanks all for your advices and happy hollydays!
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12648 posts
4259 upvotes
Ontario
I see a few options here - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0

Somebody here tried it and it worked - https://www.reddit.com/r/prius/comments ... on_update/
SPARTACVS wrote: Well, I certainly don't drive a prius "the way it's intended" but my drivng is "normal". Like I said, the problem is if I skip the annual brakes maintenances even a bit, they will rust too much and last only a few years. Thus my questioning: will Toyota OEM parts will rust less?

Nevertheless, the mechanic changed them for Napa premium A parts and prices are decents compared to rockauto (but not as good).

On the other side, the 12v battery cost me 300$...

That being said, lots of good advices here. Will order parts from rockauto when my front brakes will be dues. Now I only need to find a place where I can find a navigation map update at a decent price because for that, toyota are definitely a bunch of crooks...

Thanks all for your advices and happy hollydays!
Feb 6, 2018
122 posts
36 upvotes
Another vote for Akebono ceramic pads. Good braking power and less dust.
Jan 18, 2017
744 posts
346 upvotes

Shipping isn't cheap though (they're heavy); so check your local mechanic to see if he/she can get parts for a comparable price. Probably an hour of labour per corner.
Feb 7, 2017
559 posts
292 upvotes
I own a Prius and my rear brakes were shot after one winter. One of the caliper pins were heavily rusted and seized. It forced the brake pad to wear very quickly down to the metal backing. This is what happens with Toronto winter.

The front pads lasted me 6 years and I proactively replaced them.

That being said, I am surprised how much the dealership charges, but that includes both rotors and pads. I am a DIYer. I am currently using Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads from RockAuto and the rear pads are not wearing evenly.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12648 posts
4259 upvotes
Ontario
I would blame that on a bad design or cheap parts from Toyota. The few cars we have owned have never had issues like you are describing. Mind you the brakes should be serviced/cleaned/lubed every year, ideally after winter in the spring to help keep them in good working order.
Siward44 wrote: I own a Prius and my rear brakes were shot after one winter. One of the caliper pins were heavily rusted and seized. It forced the brake pad to wear very quickly down to the metal backing. This is what happens with Toronto winter.

The front pads lasted me 6 years and I proactively replaced them.

That being said, I am surprised how much the dealership charges, but that includes both rotors and pads. I am a DIYer. I am currently using Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads from RockAuto and the rear pads are not wearing evenly.