Home & Garden

Locked: Is Brampton a good area to buy a new home?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2010 2:20 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
I'm fascinated by these threads. The fact is, ethnic density within certain areas is a reality. Not talking about it doesn't make it "less real".

Brampton is a fine town. It has all the amenities for suburban living, plus a healthy business base.

I would not live there, for a few simple reasons:

1. It's too far from my office (downtown TO)

2. It's too far from my folks (Markham)

3. Not enough chinese food :D
Sep 1, 2006
83 posts
1 upvote
rems wrote: how do you deal with the 410 though?? Traffic is horrendous during rush hour
lol ... for the very same reason, i work from10:30 - 6:30 that way I avoid the 410+401 rush hour traffic :)

Some other things about brampton topic -

I think folks out here have thrown their perspectives and only you can judge now because it all depends upon your personality and what kind of person you are...

If you are looking for a very social life and looking for nite-life/clubs etc then yeah I would say brampton won't be the best city to live-in and better go for Toronto/Vaughan/Mississauga/north-york etc.Like one guy said, brampton is a quite and nice city and that's what I love about it. When I come back from work, I find peace in brampton.

On the other hand, if you are looking for nice houses, peaceful neighbourhood, nice amenities like one of the best hospitals in GTA,community centre etc then you can choose brampton. And yeah, you need to check about the resale value etc as well. If you are worried about ethinicity, like "Rehan" said - it all depends upon which part of brampton you live-in. For instance, In my gym/swimming center, I see more white ppl then brown but on the other side I also see a lot of indian plazas...

Lot's of other factors are also there like how far your work is from brampton ... Are you ok with ethinic groups? Blah Blah Blah
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1355 posts
44 upvotes
I have a cousin that lives in Brampton and has for years, and he loves it. Also a co worker (he's white) has lived their for a long time with his family and loves it. Like any other community their are good areas and bad. Some appreciate more than others. With tha being said I personally don't like the town and would not live their. My primary issue with Brampton has to do with the planning. It' is horendously planned. I should not be backing onto the 410 in the middle of the day on Saturday when exiting the 410. It's not rush hour. It took them years to widen Bovaird. they wait untill things are out of hand before taking action. Have you looked at Milton?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
Oh my, here we go again. I feel I have to join the party :D

We have been living in Brampton for 10 years now & really like it. We bought our second house in the Castlemore area & we totally love it here, with all the ravines around, parks, bike trails, new hospital, new shopping plazas going up, golf courses, etc. We feel very safe here. You will get better value for your money in Brampton, especially if you are looking for a detached house. And house values, at least where we are, have gone up quite a bit & people do take care of their houses.

OP, you have to take a drive & see for yourself. So come out & check out Castlemore area, you will love the beautiful ravines :)
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Dec 19, 2006
138 posts
4 upvotes
whatever its my opinion and racist lol ok :rolleyes: . Regardless it still sucks
Mar 23, 2008
72 posts
7 upvotes
I Can't stop laughing at some of the "facts" provided on this thread. I think a site like homefinder.ca might provide a little perspective
Nov 3, 2007
303 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
its not any worst than traffic on 404/DVP
rems wrote: how do you deal with the 410 though?? Traffic is horrendous during rush hour
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand.... if it is so good there, why would the houses there be cheaper than other areas?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3754 upvotes
rdx wrote: I don't understand.... if it is so good there, why would the houses there be cheaper than other areas?
If you are talking overall, there is ALWAYS a reason why it is cheaper. There are truths and half-truths but in general, every area will have pockets that are good and bad and maybe Brampton just has a few more that are "bad".
Mar 10, 2004
377 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
Punisher wrote: Not sure what area you are referring to but from my experience this isn't neccesarily the case. I just purchased a resale semi near Derry Road for just under $400K. I think you have to go out towards Milton to get those prices on a detach.
I just closed this week on a detached for $318 around Winston Churchill and Derry.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
rdx wrote: I don't understand.... if it is so good there, why would the houses there be cheaper than other areas?
Brampton is still quite far from the city core.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
olddog wrote: sigh...another thread gone to waste....a simple question , "Is Brampton a good area to buy a new home?"
but yet and still, many people judge the quality of living in a place on misguided racial focuses.
Are we living in a square or what?
To the OP, I believe brampton is predominantly occupied by indians (i dont have stats to prove it though) but that is TOTALLY irrelevant to whether or not its a good place to buy a home.it is a comfortable but boring (in my opinion) place to live. I think it is very quiet and nice. You don't have the hustling and bustling of the city life.

Me personally, i cannot live there: cos 1, i like being close to the city and 2, i hate the name of the city "brampton".
but its up to u to evaluate whether or not it meets your standards.
Rather than listen to some knuckle-heads who focus the quality of an area on the races and their stereotypes there, i suggest you evaluate the quality of that area based on its safety, resale, etc... and whether if it is a comfortable place for u i.e for instance, if we unbiasly (if thats a word) agree that its predominantly filled with indians, do u mind the smell of indian food? etc...

BTW, where do black people live? :D
Sheesh, relax dude. It's a fair point to realize a predominant culture in a specific region. And that SHOULD be part of evaluating whether or not it is a 'GOOD PLACE TO BUY' - since I HAVE worked for a company that sells properties in this area, I can tell you that non-Indian residents DO leave for the reasons noted. It's a valid point to consider.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Careful what you say you might get arrested by the sensitive police! :razz:
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1355 posts
44 upvotes
patrob wrote: Oh my, here we go again. I feel I have to join the party :D

We have been living in Brampton for 10 years now & really like it. We bought our second house in the Castlemore area & we totally love it here, with all the ravines around, parks, bike trails, new hospital, new shopping plazas going up, golf courses, etc. We feel very safe here. You will get better value for your money in Brampton, especially if you are looking for a detached house. And house values, at least where we are, have gone up quite a bit & people do take care of their houses.

OP, you have to take a drive & see for yourself. So come out & check out Castlemore area, you will love the beautiful ravines :)
Having him drive their will probably deter rather than encourage the OP. :D
Jul 23, 2006
614 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Oh well.. I guess I had the same misconception about Brampton until I actually moved here.. I managed to get a great deal on my house (2000 sq.ft detached with double car garage on a great lot for well under $300k). In a very nice area. I have 3 schools and a conservation area within steps of me. I don't have planes flying over my house constantly (Mississauga) and with the 410 nearby, I find it very convenient.

Brampton has also won many awards over the last few years, there are tons of recreation centres, lots of community events, etc.

Its funny how easily people will knock a place because a misconception, I lived in Richmond Hill for almost 8 years, and to be totally honest with you, its not really as nice as you would think, Oakville is 100X times nicer. As a previous person said, come up to Brampton and see for yourself, you won't find too many Bramptonians that knock it. City Hall seems to put money back into the city, and thats what counts, you actually see your tax dollars at work, go have a look at the new Cassie Campbell rec centre, if you want to see some of the huge houses in Brampton, go for a drive on Conservation Dr. (east of Kennedy), you can actually see houses on water that are literally estates.

Its a nice town, don't knock it till you've come and seen it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
jimgiggles wrote: Oh well.. I guess I had the same misconception about Brampton until I actually moved here.. I managed to get a great deal on my house (2000 sq.ft detached with double car garage on a great lot for well under $300k). In a very nice area. I have 3 schools and a conservation area within steps of me. I don't have planes flying over my house constantly (Mississauga) and with the 410 nearby, I find it very convenient.

Brampton has also won many awards over the last few years, there are tons of recreation centres, lots of community events, etc.

Its funny how easily people will knock a place because a misconception, I lived in Richmond Hill for almost 8 years, and to be totally honest with you, its not really as nice as you would think, Oakville is 100X times nicer. As a previous person said, come up to Brampton and see for yourself, you won't find too many Bramptonians that knock it. City Hall seems to put money back into the city, and thats what counts, you actually see your tax dollars at work, go have a look at the new Cassie Campbell rec centre, if you want to see some of the huge houses in Brampton, go for a drive on Conservation Dr. (east of Kennedy), you can actually see houses on water that are literally estates.

Its a nice town, don't knock it till you've come and seen it.
Most are not "knocking it" as you say. We're merely suggesting to consider the demographic facts of certain regions. Like I said, I worked for a builder in the Brampton area and non-Indians DID MOVE because of this factor. For some, it needs to be considered. Nothing more.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
jimgiggles wrote: That is hilarious.. OMFG.. ignorance is apparently bliss in your world.. Brampton is a town of almost half a million people... I am thinking it would take quite a bit of time to do the research you did on this matter.. I have been living in Brampton for the last 3 years, and actually decided to buy my house here.. I am currently living in the heart lake area.. and i think its great, I pay decently low taxes, enjoy free concerts, a great hockey team, my roads are always well kept, and the people are friendly. Brampton is very multicultural.

As for the south asian community, like any new form of people who came to canada, start in a pocket, that pocket was brampton, now.. indian people go wherever they like, some go to brampton, some richmond hill, some toronto. etc. Get your head out of your ass buddy.. Every community in the GTA is similar.

To the OP.. Brampton is a great place to start, its a very easily accessable city, housing costs are still relatively low, and the taxes are also low. A lot of first time home owners are coming to brampton for this reason.. Find out what area you are interested in, and go for a walk, talk to people.. etc.
Excellent point Jimgiggles, but one thing I would like to know being a fellow Bramptonian, what do you consider cheap poperty taxes. My understanding, thru my ppty tax bill, is that we have one of the highest, if not the highest, mill rate. My taxes are approx $6200/yr, where as my sister who resides in Mississauga, same value and lot size, is paying approx $1500 less.

So tell me what's your secrest in paying low taxes!!! ;)

sk
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1275 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
I have lived in Brampton for most of my life, and while it has certain aspects like offering good value for cost of living and many conveniences, I would probably investigate other options for the long term. I personally don't intend to move, but if I was in the market for a home I am just saying I would investigate all options.

I find the "good" pockets of Brampton few and far between and there are many areas where people simply do not care to do basic maintenance on their property. Brampton has an over-abundance of rented basement apartments, and that crowds out streets and wears out the infrastructure that is not designed to accommodate multiple families living in the same home illegally.

The 410 has much room to be widened, but I don't see any plans to do so, even though the city has basically tripled in size since it was built. If you have to travel down the 410 in the morning during rush hour, it will be the worst part of your commute.

The city lacks decent original restaurants other than your usual big restaurant chains, but has a variety of good indian restaurants. Other than movie theatres and big box stores and a couple of mediocre malls, there is not much to do. The Rose theatre is supposed to be good though, but the downtown core seems to have struggled for years for some sort of identity.

Since I work all across the area, I realize there are undercurrents of racism in Brampton, particularly toward people from India. People don't necessarily say things openly, although sometimes they do, but there is a slow exodus to Georgetown and other areas. Diversity doesn't bother me, but a city that has pockets of one culture that almost discourages people from integrating sort of does. There is no incentive to learn english and branch out of your culture when you can live, work, shop, bank, and dine without having to speak a word of english in your community. While this is convenient, it is a crutch imo that will not be helpful to future generations in these cultures.

Anyway, that's my take on Brampton. It's a decent and economical place to live, but not a great place to really live well (if that makes any sense).
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1275 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
[QUOTE]Anyway, that's my take on Brampton. It's a decent and economical place to live, but not a great place to really live well (if that makes any sense).[/QUOTE]

I will add to my previous comments, because they are not entirely fair since my greatest friends are my neighbours and it has been a blast since I've been in this particular home in Brampton for the past 8 years.

There are things the community lacks, but life is what you make it too.
Jul 23, 2006
614 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Couldn't agree more on the 'Life is what you make it'. But hey, there is good and bad everyone.. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, and, as for my property taxes, they do have my detached home, listed as a semi :p I'm not going to say anything though :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)