• Nov 24th, 2020 12:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada

Which brand for my next furnace?

My Bryant furnace still works great but it's 18 years old so I'm starting to proactively plan on replacing it when it eventually needs to be replaced. My local HVAC guy quoted me these prices (installed) for a Dual Stage 60,000 BTU:

$3200 Goodman
$3900 Carrier
$4400 Trane

What maters most to me is value and reliability. What are your recommendations and why?
39 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
2268 posts
2729 upvotes
I am biased to Trane

Also check the consumer reports, they have among the highest reliability
>Wake up and take the orange pill ...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8429 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
I got the Lennox ML296UH070XV36B-55 Furnace for $3390 (taxes and installation included) minus the $750 Energy Audit Rebate = $2640

It was all done in October 2019 ... Quality Breeze was the firm that did it for me.

Tossed out the old 13 year old builder Luxaire GM9S060B12UP11J.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Apr 8, 2013
217 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
It's good that you're looking ahead.

Goodman: the company's made some improvements but the jury's still out in terms of reliability.

Trane has an excellent reputation for reliability and parts supply - this would be my first choice. We have an American Standard (a sister company of Trane) and are very happy with the furnace although its only 4 years old.

The question is whether the Trane model is worth an extra $1,200. Assuming that the warranty on the two models is the same, I'd still run with the Trane for peace of mind.
Dec 28, 2004
206 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
What are furnace efficiency's for those listed. Price is one thing but also you should take into account how efficient they.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote: My Bryant furnace still works great but it's 18 years old so I'm starting to proactively plan on replacing it when it eventually needs to be replaced. My local HVAC guy quoted me these prices (installed) for a Dual Stage 60,000 BTU:

$3200 Goodman
$3900 Carrier
$4400 Trane

What maters most to me is value and reliability. What are your recommendations and why?
I just replaced my 30 year old Lennox furnace which was still running. I got the Lennox Elite Series EL296V for $3000 + tax installed and used these guys. They did a great job and cleaned everything up when done.
http://starhvac.ca/
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Red89GT wrote: What are furnace efficiency's for those listed. Price is one thing but also you should take into account how efficient they.
All similar.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
webworm wrote: I just replaced my 30 year old Lennox furnace which was still running. I got the Lennox Elite Series EL296V for $3000 + tax installed and used these guys. They did a great job and cleaned everything up when done.
http://starhvac.ca/
Lennox is not an option for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
This thread is useless without model numbers and knowing something about the house.

The most important thing is finding a contractor who properly matches it to the house/ducts and sets up the furnace properly after installation. They aren't plug n play.

I would not buy a goodman if the choice is 2-stage/variable speed - I've detailed why in other threads, you can read my posts.
No fan of the carrier performance 96 either, has to do with blower programming.

I would not have existing unit replaced unless there's a major problem/breakdown. It does need to be checked though if it hasn't - inspection and a exhaust co test especially if high efficiency being bryant.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1225 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Trane/Am standard.
12 years running.
Survived blackouts, installed small back up generator hook up with manual transfer switch (will not ignite without house neutral/ground).
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Talk to Craig from 4 seasons comfort.. he just installed the Armstrong this weekend for me. Great guy and known on RFD. And BTW it was replacing a Trane XT95 that cost me 1K in repairs last year and started acting up again this year.

This summer he also installed a Trane AC... and was very satisfied with his crew. Which is why I called him back for the furnace.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
TLSRULZ wrote: Talk to Craig from 4 seasons comfort.. he just installed the Armstrong this weekend for me. Great guy and known on RFD. And BTW it was replacing a Trane XT95 that cost me 1K in repairs last year and started acting up again this year.

This summer he also installed a Trane AC... and was very satisfied with his crew. Which is why I called him back for the furnace.
Not everyone lives in Toronto. I'm in Winnipeg.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
gbill2004 wrote: Not everyone lives in Toronto. I'm in Winnipeg.
I guess having a furnace fail there is more catastrophic.
You also need more capacity there - same house that needs 60k in winnipeg probably only needs 40k in toronto.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
gbill2004 wrote: Not everyone lives in Toronto. I'm in Winnipeg.
Ah sorry.. mobile does not show location.
Nov 26, 2009
11 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
We recently switched from a 25 year old HIEL 100k BTU to a Rheem 2 stage 96% 60K BTU with ECM motor. Will see if I have any problems, but so far I like it. I have linked with 6 wires to my ecobee and so far the performance has been great. Will need a cold winter night to know if the 60K will be enough. But I do know the 100K was overkill.

It was 3K for the furnace with installation.
Last edited by pyrethedragon on Nov 23rd, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 19, 2013
708 posts
626 upvotes
Ottawa
Goodman and trane both have (2) 2-stage models....can't compare without model numbers as insertname2020 has mentioned
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
1chinaman wrote: Goodman and trane both have (2) 2-stage models....can't compare without model numbers as insertname2020 has mentioned
The basic base model.
Nov 12, 2012
143 posts
140 upvotes
BINBROOK
Its funny reading through these, like a car forum. I have a builder grade Keeprite that is 17 years old. Had to replace the ventor motor 2 years ago, thats all. Listen to the HVAC experts, they see these things everyday. Knowing more than a few HVAC guys, they all say the same thing. Worry about the install, thats the important part. Most furnaces are fairly similar performance wise, dont get caught up in a fancy name.
Jun 2, 2007
441 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
I'm also looking to replace my furnace. I've heard the same about install being the most important. Someone I feel comfortable with for install is recommending the Napoleon 9700. The price seems right - I am just wary given Napoleon has not been making furnaces for too long. Any thoughts? Four Season Comfort recommended the Armstrong A962E but it would be about $450 more than the Napoleon.

Edit - I could also install a Keeprite for about $800 less than the Armstrong...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm happy with my American Standard(2 stage heat with variable fan). It is pretty much a Trane clone with a different color and badge.