• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 1:13 am
[OP]
Mar 31, 2016
40 posts
6 upvotes

Brand new KitchenAid fridge replacement? GE vs LG

Hi everyone,

I need some opinions and thoughts on the predicament I am in, I purchased a brand new KitchenAid 30" french door (KRFF300ESS) fridge and it arrived last Friday, ever since when the compressor fires up it emits a high pitch whine around the 10k Hertz frequency sound. This is causing headaches to me and my fiancee.

We've had a KA repair tech out to assess the noise and of course he found nothing wrong with it and said the sounds are normal operation sounds. Although, he did admit the high pitch noise was loud. His report back to KA head office was the fridge is fine so they won't do anything for us.

The store (not Home Depot) we purchased this fridge (and a stove/microwave/dishwasher) from is graciously allowing an exchange which brings me to my question.

I am looking for a 30" left swing (or reversible) single door freezer on the bottom or a 30" french door fridge that are silent as can be to replace this KitchenAid. Based on my assumption that parts are used between Whirlpool corporation companies we would like to try a different brand other then Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Amana/Maytag.

Does anyone have recommendations for non-whirlpool, I was thinking of these two:

LG Electronics LRFNS2200S - 30-inch W 22 cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator in Smudge Resistant Stainless Steel - ENERGY STAR®
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lg-ele ... 1001551019

GE GDE21DSKSS - 30-inch W 20.6 cu. ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator in Stainless Steel - ENERGY STAR®
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ge-30- ... 1001003751
Last edited by bman08 on May 7th, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8339 posts
2106 upvotes
Toronto
10kHz? Probably lower than that.

Anyway, I say LG all the way. I would not buy GE appliances after having awful experiences with them over a few years: poor delivery, poor customer service, poor performance of the appliance itself, more poor customer service, and then, just past warranty expiration, it died. Dumped it without hesitation, bought LG and never looked back.
Feb 5, 2015
373 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
My experience with GE has been much better, am on my 2 set of appliances from GE.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8277 posts
2903 upvotes
Maple
I wouldn't get LG or Samsung due to parts after few years. I would get NA brands.
May 9, 2014
163 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Samsung and LG are totally different in terms of quality and reliability of appliances. Go with the LG fridge, soft start compressor for the win!!
teoconca wrote: I wouldn't get LG or Samsung due to parts after few years. I would get NA brands.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6442 posts
2082 upvotes
Hasn't arrived yet but I went all GE appliances for the cabin. I did a ton of research and figured it was the best bang for the buck. Best part is the shop that sells it near the cabin does their own warranty work.
However, prices the same I'd probably go LG. But I probably saved over $1000 on my appliance package with GE. THat LG is cheaper and more space, I would probably go for that one.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4736 posts
3024 upvotes
LaLaLand
Both are good. I own two LG fridges and they are great. I've also owned that GE fridge and it is good also. I think it's better in slate as it doesn't pick up fingerprints like the stainless steel model. I've never had any issues with either brand. The older LG fridge has been going for 12 years so far.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5981 posts
229 upvotes
Murica
We have a GE fridge that looks similar to GE GDE21DSKSS. We do not hook up the waterline to the fridge for ice maker. I prefer ice trays and so far 4 years in, fridge is reliable no hiccups.

All these fridges these days I worry about reliability and the key is to avoid hooking up waterline for ice makers and water dispenser. I just use brita jug and call it a day.
May 9, 2014
163 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Life is too short, use that water and ice dispenser. Don’t fear the breakdown, just deal with it when it happens.

My kids are too small to use a Brita but not too small to use the ice and water dispenser.
maniacshopper wrote: We have a GE fridge that looks similar to GE GDE21DSKSS. We do not hook up the waterline to the fridge for ice maker. I prefer ice trays and so far 4 years in, fridge is reliable no hiccups.

All these fridges these days I worry about reliability and the key is to avoid hooking up waterline for ice makers and water dispenser. I just use brita jug and call it a day.