Cell Phones

On a brand new sealed iPhone, can i put in a sim from ANY network (and have it lock to that network?)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2017 9:38 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5509 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto

On a brand new sealed iPhone, can i put in a sim from ANY network (and have it lock to that network?)

I just got a brand new sealed iPhone 7 from Rogers. I know I can put in a Rogers/Fido/Chatr sim and it will lock to the network of the first sim right?

But what if i were to put in a Telus sim, or a Bell sim, would it allow me and lock to that network? Even if the phone came from Rogers?

Also, if i put a Rogers sim first, will a Fido or Chatr sim work on the phone after? If i put a Fido sim first, will rogers or chatr sims work on the phone?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25243 posts
4334 upvotes
The phone is already locked to Rogers. It doesn't matter what SIM you put in, that won't change.

A Telus SIM will not work unless you unlock it
Aug 12, 2016
366 posts
248 upvotes
Shaner wrote: The phone is already locked to Rogers. It doesn't matter what SIM you put in, that won't change.

A Telus SIM will not work unless you unlock it
I think he's asking because lately there seems to be confusion about whether iPhone come pre locked or locked to first SIM.

I think it depends on what company you buy the phone from but that is not a tested theory so take it with a grain of salt. You could attempt a telus SIM and see how it goes just make sure it's the SIM you want it to be locked to and report back to us.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5509 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
jaswest2754 wrote: I think he's asking because lately there seems to be confusion about whether iPhone come pre locked or locked to first SIM.

I think it depends on what company you buy the phone from but that is not a tested theory so take it with a grain of salt. You could attempt a telus SIM and see how it goes just make sure it's the SIM you want it to be locked to and report back to us.
Exactly. I can't believe there's no definite answers since people activate phones every day.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25243 posts
4334 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: Exactly. I can't believe there's no definite answers since people activate phones every day.
There is a definite answer. If the phone came from Rogers, it will be locked to Rogers. A Bell or Telus SIM will not work
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16977 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased a BNIB iPhone 6 back in April, 2015. I inserted a Bell sim and powered on the phone for the first time and I could not activate as I kept being prompted to insert a valid sim to activate. I also tried a Telus, and Fido with no luck. I inserted a Rogers sim and I was able to activate the phone.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5509 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: There is a definite answer. If the phone came from Rogers, it will be locked to Rogers. A Bell or Telus SIM will not work
Well according to the discussion thread in the post above yours, there's no definite answer. Some people say it's prelocked, some people say non Telus /koodo sims were able to be inserted into koodo phones and they locked to the carrier of that sim.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5509 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: I purchased a BNIB iPhone 6 back in April, 2015. I inserted a Bell sim and powered on the phone for the first time and I could not activate as I kept being prompted to insert a valid sim to activate. I also tried a Telus, and Fido with no luck. I inserted a Rogers sim and I was able to activate the phone.
And the phone was from Rogers?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16977 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, the phone came directly from a Rogers dealer.

Before breaking the seal on the phone, I entered the IMEI from the invoice to check the warranty on the Apple website to ensure that the IMEI had not been registered for warranty purposes. When I entered the IMEI, I was aksed to provide a purchase date to validate the warranty. I then proceeded to try and activate the phone using a Telus, Fido, and Bell sim; however, all attempts failed.

I inserted a Rogers sim card, activated the phone, matched the IMEI in the phone to the IMEI on the invoice and checked the warranty status on the Apple website to ensure that the phone's warranty status had been correctly updated.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
fightbriz wrote: I just got a brand new sealed iPhone 7 from Rogers. I know I can put in a Rogers/Fido/Chatr sim and it will lock to the network of the first sim right?

But what if i were to put in a Telus sim, or a Bell sim, would it allow me and lock to that network? Even if the phone came from Rogers?

Also, if i put a Rogers sim first, will a Fido or Chatr sim work on the phone after? If i put a Fido sim first, will rogers or chatr sims work on the phone?
The whole thing is insane. If I have a $1000 bill or a $1000 TV , I do not want to have it locked to one use.
If enough of us have united against this lock/unlock crap, we will prevail.
I only buy unlocked phone. Period.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11931 posts
6449 upvotes
Brampton
There are three types of iPhones.

Unlocked which means the obvious.

Flex locked which is the ones that lock on first sim. These are carried by the Apple store and various wireless outlets (Wireless wave etc). Just helps to keep iPhone inventory manageable.

Locked these are prelocked in the database. These are usually carried by specific carriers. Almost 0 chance they have flex locked phone at a Rogers/Bell/Telus Corp wireless store or carrier specific dealer.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16977 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
The bell iPhone 6s plus I got came from the wireless wave store in Toronto's Brookfield place (which has since closed) and it would not activate with a Rogers sim card even though the Rogers sim was the first sim inserted into the phone. The phone was sealed bnib.

I got a refutb 5s from the apple store in March 2017. It was a replacement for a fido 5s and the refurb unit would not activate with a bell sim. The bell sim was the first sim I put in the phone.

Maybe the flex policy isn't consistently applied?