Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1643 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto

Brand recommendations and where to get the best deals on Diapers

Hey RFD Community,

I have some exciting news to share. My wife and I are expecting our first baby, a little girl later this year.

I have always heard that you will go through a lot of diapers, so I wanted to know what the best options are. Would it be through Shoppers and Pc optimum, Kirkland from Costco, or is there another regular deal for diapers.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 4th, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity
11 replies
Aug 24, 2005
323 posts
19 upvotes
Markham
My son is 18 months old. We've tried different types of diapers. Depending on how frequent you'll change your child. For example, some parents prefers to change their child's diaper every 2-3 hours. If this is the case, you can go with Pampers brand. You can get them cheaper from Amazon especially when they're on sale like Boxing Day, Black Friday, etc.
In our own experience, Costco's Huggies Plus is the best (they don't sell NB though). My son would keep the same diaper all night without having to change (but this is after he moved to size 2).

Before your baby comes out to this world, I would recommend you to go browse for company that gives out freebies for newborn. For example, we got some free diapers from Pampers and Huggies (through their websites - both my wife and I signed up so we have like 80 diapers in total). Some babies are bigger than the others, so you may not need to purchase many NB diapers (those freebies may be enough).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Based on the many past threads on Diapers & PCO
I would have to say … there sure are a lot of points promos

One you’ll be sure and keep an eye out for comes later this month

The Annual PCO Birthday Bash … aka Super Points Event

Here’s a bit of info from the one in 2021 = pc-optimum-discussion-thread-2021-2436833/#p33876949

There always seems to be a baby offer that goes with this annual event

So I suggest you keep an eye on the PCO MegaThread here in the SHOPPING FORUM

Also … you might want to check in with the PC Insiders MegaThread

pc-insiders-2021-paid-add-pc-optimum-program-2436780/

To see what perks exist there these days for Young Family Members

The nice thing about the PCO Program … is its flexibility
You’ll be able to earn and redeem across 3 distinct areas of spending in your budget
Groceries (Loblaws Group) - Pharmacy (SDM Group) - and Gasoline (Esso / Mobil ) *

* Esso / Mobil drops Esso Extra Rewards this month.
They’ll be PCO Only
And will also be allowing redemptions for gas … where they used to be earn only
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
Congrats!

You might find better luck in the Parenting forum.

There are many different ways to get deals, but I find the best promos are at RCSS using PC Optimum. They often had store-wide promos (example: spend $100 get $20 in points) and price match competitors. Diapers are close in price between retailers, it's the store promos that make or break it.

We prefer Costco for wipes (they are more than Huggies and Pampers ones, or were when we started buying). For diapers, we have had no problems with Huggies and Pampers (regardless of the type) leaking.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
Considered a cloth diaper service? We used one for years. Throw used diapers into the bin, once a week they got picked up and a fresh supply dropped off. The service cost about the same as disposables and was much more landfill-friendly.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Congratulations on your new addition to come!

One thing i can share is disposable is much more convenient and get one of those "Diaper Genies" to dispose of all the soiled diapers.

It is going to be very expensive no two ways about it, in our time we picked up diapers at Shoppers for the most part however these days more opportunity is here in adding Amazon and/or Costco to the mix. Keep an eye out for sales, stock up if you are able till they get to that stage where the child may jump a size. Do not think there will be a revelation on where to get the best deal it all depends on getting a sale here of there, the bigger question is likely cloth vs disposable and i'm already on record with disposable when you take into account cost, convenience, work.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
Kiraly wrote: Considered a cloth diaper service? We used one for years. Throw used diapers into the bin, once a week they got picked up and a fresh supply dropped off. The service cost about the same as disposables and was much more landfill-friendly.
We did cloth diapers but without the service. You can get flushable liners in them for the solids, dump it in the toilet and toss them into the washing machine. Hang to dry. Initial investment can be a bit high, but we saved thousands over the course of two kids. And you can sell them off as well. They go quickly on used groups.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
Dark Phoenix wrote: We did cloth diapers but without the service. You can get flushable liners in them for the solids, dump it in the toilet and toss them into the washing machine. Hang to dry. Initial investment can be a bit high, but we saved thousands over the course of two kids. And you can sell them off as well. They go quickly on used groups.
The flushable wipes aren't really flushable. They've been known to clog sewer pipes. We have a diaper sprayer (i.e. bidet) to spray the solids off before tossing the soiled diaper in a wet bag to away laundry day.

We cloth diapered our first, and we're currently cloth diapering our second. The initial investment is high ($30+ per daytime diaper if you want good ones, and you need at least 30 if you want to avoid washing them every day; overnight diapers are $35 and up - though we just bot a used lot of overnights worth about $500 new for $75), and the learning curve is steep. But once you get the hang of the wash routine (which is long if you have a high efficiency front loader; it takes at least 4 hours over 2 wash cycles and then dry time), it's very reasonable. I also never need to run out to the store to pick up a box of diapers... I've also never had to deal with a dreaded disposable poop-splosion blow-out.

We have 28 daytime diapers. It's enough diapers to wash our 3 month old's every other day. By the time he's 1, it should be every 3 days. Around 2 it'll be more like every 4-5 days. Our toddler is still in overnight cloth pull-ups.
Dec 12, 2005
984 posts
398 upvotes
Richmond
Just don't stock up too much as kids grow fast and sometimes it might not be a good fit or can give allergy to the baby's bum.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
ai_c wrote: Just don't stock up too much as kids grow fast and sometimes it might not be a good fit or can give allergy to the baby's bum.
Pro tip: as long as the box is unopened, diapers are returnable and exchangeable. Wal-Mart and RCSS for sure allow exchanges, even without the receipt.

So stock up when there's a sale! If the kid grows out of them exchange for the next size up.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
A few days before current pack is finished, I'll go on Facebook Marketplace and/or Kijiji. Filter for <10km of my location. And search for the size we want.

We're not picky about brand. At the end of the day, there's risk of blowouts for every brand (for us, anyways).

Saves so much money.

I got 100 diapers for $5 once.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
ai_c wrote: Just don't stock up too much as kids grow fast and sometimes it might not be a good fit or can give allergy to the baby's bum.
I read this as an upvote for costco when they go on sale if OP has the space.

Can always bring it back later. But I haven't had any luck swapping for size.