Fashion & Beauty

Braun series 8 vs Philips series 6000 razor?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2020 8:43 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
294 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto

Braun series 8 vs Philips series 6000 razor?

Hi I'm trying to buy an electric razor, and since both of these are on sale at Costco, my choices are:

1. Braun series 8 (model 8330s), $140, foil shaver
  2. Philips Shaver 6000 (not "Norelco" which is something I kept seeing when I googled), $115, rotary shaver

I was wondering which one is better? From some quick googling it seems foil shaver is better at close/clean shaves than rotary? But I read from lots of reviews that the Philips one does a really good job at close shaving as well. I'd like a very clean shave (ideally no visible stubble whatsoever) since I don't keep any facial hair. I usually shave after washing my face or a shower, or when dry.

Thanks.
7 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5558 posts
1309 upvotes
Braun makes the best electric shaver, bar none. Philips with the rotary head is crap and I've had 2 of them.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
294 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Why is the Philips one bad? Not close enough shave, poor battery life, or other reason?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14786 posts
6032 upvotes
Ottawa
I prefer my Philips 9000. I find it handles my thicker hairs better, and is quieter, and doesn't expel hair debris onto my sink. I had a 7 series Braun and I found it took longer to get the same shave. With rotary shavers, you use a circular motion and it got my neck hairs a lot better, especially if I let it grow longer (may miss a day).
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15720 posts
13460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
warpdrive wrote: I prefer my Philips 9000. I find it handles my thicker hairs better, and is quieter, and doesn't expel hair debris onto my sink. I had a 7 series Braun and I found it took longer to get the same shave. With rotary shavers, you use a circular motion and it got my neck hairs a lot better, especially if I let it grow longer (may miss a day).
Yup the lower Braun series aren’t the best for thicker hair. I have a Braun series 9 and it’s pretty damn good with the multiple cutters on the head and it also doesn’t spew any hair back out. There’s a huge difference between lower models vs. Higher ones. I had a Phillips and thought it was crap too, but that could be because it was a cheap one.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14786 posts
6032 upvotes
Ottawa
The advantages of rotary shavers and foil shavers haven't changed and are well known, so you have to make your choice on which type of shaver you want, and then pick from that.

For example, rotary shavers work better on thick hair, curly/longer hairs and are quieter, and don't handle as precisely under the nose, around the lips.
Foil shavers tend to be more gentle and closer, noisy.

If you aren't sure, I'd get a Braun first. The up and down motion of a foil shaver is a bit more natural
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11961 posts
2464 upvotes
I got that Phillips 6000 one from Costco and love it for my whiskers. I have an old Braun foil shaver and have to go over the same area 5-6 times before I get all the hair. My "beard" is very sparse, but the hair is ultra thick.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14786 posts
6032 upvotes
Ottawa
joeyjoejoe wrote: I got that Phillips 6000 one from Costco and love it for my whiskers. I have an old Braun foil shaver and have to go over the same area 5-6 times before I get all the hair. My "beard" is very sparse, but the hair is ultra thick.
This is exactly when the rotary shavers are superior.....they essentially cut in every direction at once and thus they will catch stray hairs sticking out in odd directions. My hairs are sparse but they are unruly and thick and none of the foil shavers do a good job of shaving those weird hairs.

I haven't bought a 9 series Braun but I had the 7 series when they were the top of the line and the top Philips always gave me a more thorough shave.

Basically if you have curly or thick hairs, or skip a day or two between shaves, you might want to try out a rotary shaver first.