Investing

Brexit - How can I benefit from it in a year or so ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2016 4:25 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jun 22, 2016
43 posts
2 upvotes

Brexit - How can I benefit from it in a year or so ?

What Stocks or Currency trading or other investments you can buy in the next 10 days or so to benefit from Brexit ?

I mean what is going to be down in the next 10 days or so, but will recover a lot in the next 6 months - 1 year after the panic ends and dust settles ? And you can make a quick buck in a year or so ?

Gold ? Oil ? Tech stocks ? Bank stocks ? Euro ? USD ? Pounds ? - What do I go for in the next 10 days or so, so I can benefit in a year or so ? I think there is definitely a good opportunity here to make a quick buck or two, if you identify the proper sector and use Brexit to your advantage. But I just don't know, What :o
11 replies
Dec 2, 2014
443 posts
173 upvotes
London, ON
Magna International has taken a pretty steep dive. I'm keeping an eye on it.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2348 posts
1820 upvotes
Ontario
I've never invested or bothered to look at MG. Frankly I am not bullish on the auto industry so I haven't looked at it. I just did look at the stock. Does this stock seriously not come with a dividend?
Dec 2, 2014
443 posts
173 upvotes
London, ON
llpresident wrote: I've never invested or bothered to look at MG. Frankly I am not bullish on the auto industry so I haven't looked at it. I just did look at the stock. Does this stock seriously not come with a dividend?
MG? Has a yield of 2.94% (raised 6 consecutive years).
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2348 posts
1820 upvotes
Ontario
StarScream1337 wrote: MG? Has a yield of 2.94% (raised 6 consecutive years).
MG.TO shows no divi on my iPhone app. Weird.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16724 posts
9500 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Banks and life co. are probably the safest way to get in and buy. They all have a 3.5 to 6% dividend, are known to grow their dividend over time and have been stress tested due to the last melt down in 2008/2009. Also, they were one of the first groups to bounce back after 2008/2009. Some other groups bounced back more but they also got hit more (ie. industrials)... so pick your risk factor and your poison!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1159 posts
382 upvotes
Calgary, AB
timirboxy wrote: What Stocks or Currency trading or other investments you can buy in the next 10 days or so to benefit from Brexit ?

I mean what is going to be down in the next 10 days or so, but will recover a lot in the next 6 months - 1 year after the panic ends and dust settles ? And you can make a quick buck in a year or so ?

Gold ? Oil ? Tech stocks ? Bank stocks ? Euro ? USD ? Pounds ? - What do I go for in the next 10 days or so, so I can benefit in a year or so ? I think there is definitely a good opportunity here to make a quick buck or two, if you identify the proper sector and use Brexit to your advantage. But I just don't know, What :o
You're asking me what's going to go down in the next 10 days, only to recover in the next 6 months to give me a worthwhile profit?

That's an awfully specific "time thy market" request.

If you're looking for bargains, I think the banks and insurance sector in the UK might have some. They're having a hard time currently but if you can separate real problems from fear, you can find yourself a nice buy. I have been looking at MFC currently. It has sizable operations in that part of the world and has suffered because of it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5532 posts
1416 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Buy into undervalued companies with strong fundamentals, especially the ones that are very oversold. I only sold 1 stock in this aftermath for a gold miner because I didn't like it very much to begin with; was somewhat more of a placeholder. Wish I had more money in times like these.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
May 5, 2010
971 posts
118 upvotes
llpresident wrote: MG.TO shows no divi on my iPhone app. Weird.
It also has an incredibly strong B/S and good margin of safety on payout.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 22, 2016
43 posts
2 upvotes
I am thinking in about 2 weeks so by Next Friday ( not the coming Friday ) , things should settle and the market should bottom out.

Might go in then :)
Jan 16, 2009
172 posts
96 upvotes
No mention about the indexes? MSCI EAFE IMI (XEF.TO), FTSE (VIU.TO), MSCI EAFE (TDB911) ?

I know the UK only holds a percentage of each but damn it would be nice to hear the thoughts of the seasoned day traders/ investors that populate this forum.