Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 31, 2009
314 posts
206 upvotes
BC

The Brick Experience - enlightening

Recently, the Brick had a one-day sale called a pre-Boxing day sale or something on a Saturday. On the front page of this flyer was a decent front loading LG laundry pair for $998, so I knew I would have to get there early.

I got to the Brick at 6:40am and waited in my car for a while. I was the first one out of my car to the front doors at 7am. There were several other people at the top of the stairs with me at this point and there was really more "milling around" going on instead of a proper line-up forming. I tried to keep my place in front, but one lady ended up slipping through the doors ahead of me and guess what she was there to buy? That's right - the same washer and dryer that I wanted. And guess how many the Brick had at the advertised price - that's right - ONE!!!

800 chain wide were advertised and my store had access to ONE. Needless to say I was livid for several reasons:
1 - i wasted my time and woke up early for nothing.
2 - instead of being a jerk, i had let the lady in the door first and ended up losing my only chance.
3: the Bricks BS misleading scams to get people in the door when they have next to nothing available at those prices.

So, i complained to the manager and he ended up getting me a set from a sister location for the same price. He was apologetic and even went on to say that his store actually had 4 in stock, but three were already spoken for at the time the doors opened at 7am - now WTF is this?? Apparently 3 ppl had basically set up deals with sales people the day before to process their purchase as soon as the sale started. What a bunch of crap. I should have told them to take their LG set and stuff it up their rear, but my wife really liked this set.

So, instead of the first 4 ppl in line at 7am getting first shot at the 4 that they had in stock, only one person got the chance due to their shady sales practices. I hate the Brick - sleazy staff are like leeches when you go in there. I will never buy anything from the Brick again unless i have no other options. I feel somewhat dirty in buying this LG set by even supporting this company.

I may end up regretting the decision to go with them, but it is done now. Never ever going to stand in one of their lineups ever again, not when all this behind the scenes cheating crap goes on with the sale flyers. Unreal.

jslwc
12 replies
Apr 4, 2008
513 posts
838 upvotes
Sounds about right for the Brick, at least they are consistent...at being crappy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
You should also be complaining about the lady who got in front of you. If you were there first, its pretty rude of her to cut in line. You should complain to the manager on the spot so she couldn't make the purchase (thus saving you the trip to another store).

It is shady practice non the less but what can you expect from the Brick? They are known to be shady and i would avoid them at all cost (haven't bought anything there since i actually have been able to voice my opinion... nor any family member lol).
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
40 upvotes
The Brick and LG are two companies to avoid!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6350 posts
1015 upvotes
jslwc wrote: I tried to keep my place in front, but one lady ended up slipping through the doors ahead of me and guess what she was there to buy? That's right - the same washer and dryer that I wanted. And guess how many the Brick had at the advertised price - that's right - ONE!!!.......................

He was apologetic and even went on to say that his store actually had 4 in stock, but three were already spoken for at the time the doors opened at 7am - now WTF is this?? Apparently 3 ppl had basically set up deals with sales people the day before
Moral of your story:

1. Nice guys finish last.

2 Go to the store the day before and cut a deal with the salesperson to put the item on hold.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9956 posts
1835 upvotes
Toronto
At least the manager was apologetic. Imagine if he wasnt? You'd be really pissed.

OP, sorry to hear it, but really, if you don't want the aggrevation, don't go for these crazy "lure you in the store, but we really dont have any stock" tactics. Just save up the money and buy it on normal sale.

Because at any store, there is no one with the job title of "let's ensure our customers are treated fairly, and line up orderly to get into our store so they can be happy when they come out"

Their jobs are "sell, sell, sell".
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1593 posts
528 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: OP, sorry to hear it, but really, if you don't want the aggrevation, don't go for these crazy "lure you in the store, but we really dont have any stock" tactics. Just save up the money and buy it on normal sale.
I've basically given up on Boxing Day and other similar sales for this reason. Whatever the great deal is on December 26, just wait a few months and you'll be able to buy it again at that price. The flipside to this coin is, when everyone else buys it for the same price in a few months, you'll realize all that waiting in line and fighting the crowds was for nothing.

Fighting to find a parking spot, waiting in long lines to get in, fighting crowded malls and stores, only to find out you just missed it. Or if you do get one, waiting in another long line to pay for it... overheating in my winter jacket all the while. Then to discover in a few weeks that it wasn't what I had hoped, or it needs to be exchanged, or I found a better deal, or ... Not my idea of fun.

And yeah, The Brick is sleazy.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2014 posts
157 upvotes
York Region
Like said before Brick should spell with a P.
Aug 30, 2006
729 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah the brick was sleezy, but atleast the manager was nice and still got you the set. Be happy. enjoy life. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I would hope that the manger would discipline the staff who caused this issue. Any advertised door crasher that is a truly good deal is going to be sold the day of the sale so there is no need to create customer service issues by giving the deals early. If a customer really wants the deal they should stand in line as the OP did and any sales person with integrity should be able to tell their customers this.
Aug 11, 2004
358 posts
48 upvotes
I went early to line up here in mississauga for the same washer / dryer combo. I was the only person in line at 7.30.. By 8.30 they took pity on me and let me in early to purchase. :) I also heard talk of people buying the night before.
Jul 20, 2008
129 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
A bit OT, but in regards to the Lg washer. I have one, - had a frigidaire front load for about 10 years before - and you must use the right detergent for it to clean properly. With the Frigidaire I NEVER had to use the HE detergent, but I notice with this LG that the clothes are much cleaner if I do.
There is a noticable difference in the cleanliness of the clothes with
HE vs. 2 or 3x concentrate.
But other than that the LG is very good. :lol:
[OP]
Aug 31, 2009
314 posts
206 upvotes
BC
i was told this about the HE soap and will have to follow through on it - thanks for the tip and it's good to know that you are satisfied with your LG.